Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help! advice for a windy course
Quote | Reply
A friend has asked me for some advice as the resident bike tech guru in our club. Unfortunately, I'm a little stumped on how to help her.

She will be competing at the Asian Cycling Championships, 27th Febuary. The course is at the Bahrain International Circuit ( yes, that F1 circuit- Can you say wind?)
Wind conditions for the day look to be pretty fierce- 18kph winds with gusts up to 32kph.

The athlete is asking for some advice into what choice of wheels to bring. She's inclined to bring a set of Roval CLX64s, but her coach has asked her to bring a disc rear in case conditions are calm.

Having ridden in the middle east I know the sudden gusts can be dangerous- especially for a lighter rider (50 odd kgs) who could be blown around alot. At this point in time I'm dubious that she could even handle a CLX64 front with a disc rear. Best Bike Split puts the difference between a CLX 64 front rear versus a CLX 64 and rear disc at 3 seconds. Would it be worth the tradeoff for risk of being blown off the course?
Quote Reply
Re: Help! advice for a windy course [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bring the disc and see what the winds are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, 3 seconds would not justify the hassle of the extra wheel but If she is contending for a medal at a champion level event, 3 seconds could be huge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I advise against experimenting with unfamiliar equipment in races. If she's ridden the disc a lot and is comfortable with it, then she'll likely know what she can handle. If she's seeking this type of advise that suggests that she's not as familiar with the equipment, which means she should stick with a setup that she's more familiar and comfortable with. Stability on the road equals power and confidence on the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Help! advice for a windy course [sbcoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a thought

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Help! advice for a windy course [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice. That is a piece of equipment that I would have no problem experimenting with on race day. Bike looks comfy too.
Quote Reply