Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help! 2016 Speed Concept 9.9 vs 2016 Felt IA2
Quote | Reply
Considering these two bikes....

2016 Trek Speed Concept 9.9 P1 with Ultegra Di2 or the 2016 Felt IA 2 (also with Ultegra Di2). Looking for feedback from folks experience between the two. Both will be professionally fitted and both fit me well. I can't decide.

Thanks!
Last edited by: trueff: Aug 11, 15 10:42
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept 9.9 (w/ultegra DI2) vs 2016 Felt IA2 [trueff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the SC 9.9 with Di2 and it is an awesome bike. Stiff, quite adjustable, and very fast.

Quote | Reply
The Felt IA can be fast. The Speed Concept is fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both are fast. I have the SC and the cockpit is really really really sweet. The draft box is handy for long course racing too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Things to consider if I was in your shoes...
1. what has a better paint scheme
2. what is cheaper
3. what has better storage (especially if you are doing 70.3 or longer)
4. what can you get on faster

*Trek gives you a lot of options on the bars, and you can tilt them up (how I like mine), but if I recall correctly, the felts are locked in with no ability to angle up (praying mantis).

I love my trek, but I went with the 7.5 and would do it all over again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trueff wrote:
Considering these two bikes....

2016 Trek Speed Concept 9.9 P1 with Ultegra Di2 or the 2016 Felt IA 2 (also with Ultegra Di2). Looking for feedback from folks experience between the two. Both will be professionally fitted and both fit me well. I can't decide.

Thanks!

I'm also trying to decide between the two... looking forward to reading all the answers to this thread....
Last edited by: duduardoman: Aug 11, 15 7:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback so far!

Seems the SC is taking the lead...
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Speed Concept 9.9 vs 2016 Felt IA2 [trueff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this yet: Customer service and warranty!

Both those bikes can be finicky and, unless you are a good wrench, can be a challenge to fiddle around and understand. The former SC had some rear brake adjustability issues for owners with narrow and wide rims, while Felt had some issues with their bayonet forks. Both companies have very good and pro-active representatives in ST so it is best you deal with them as part of your decision making process.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Speed Concept 9.9 vs 2016 Felt IA2 [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trek addressed the rear brake issue and made it much, much easier to open the brakes for wider wheels on the new model. In my experience their warranty/customer service has been awesome as well. They replaced a front fork for me after a hairline crack in the carbon on my first SC.

Quote | Reply

The pic speaks for itself.
For the record, I know nothing about Felt customer service because I haven't needed it. The bike attracts alot of attention and feels great. Brakes are not bad to work on. I just installed di2 and it is even easier to work on now. Also worth mentioning, I sold a Speed Concept 9.8 to buy the IA and yes, I like the IA much better. It is easier to work on and looks better in my opinion. As far as adjustability, the SC seemed to have better adjustability for the extensions but it wasn't a deal breaker.
Last edited by: gtstang02: Aug 11, 15 7:57
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Speed Concept 9.9 vs 2016 Felt IA2 [Sbradley11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know Trek addressed it (I was the first to raise that issue here in June 2010 when I bought my SC) and I also know that Felt addressed their bayonet fork issues too. But does the OP know this? Maybe not, so my advice to him is look beyond the frame color options and find out more about salient matters regarding both bikes and both bike companies and their ability to provide service and warranty.

Quote Reply
Re: Help! Speed Concept 9.9 vs 2016 Felt IA2 [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He knows now. Because I just told him they did :-) If the issues are with the old model and he is interested in the newest generation, they aren't particularly relevant. At least they wouldn't be to me. If it's fixed, why would I worry about it? If it was an issue with the current model, then it would be worth noting.

Quote | Reply
Has Felt fixed the issues that folks were having with their brakes getting stuck?
Otherwise, the felt looks really nice.

But, I have a 2012 (or 2011) Trek SC9 and love it. Not that difficult to work on, and easy to get replacement parts for if needed. Love the draft box as well, which is even better on the newer models.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having had to some work on a current model Speed Concept this weekend I am sorely tempted. I have an original 9 series which I love but the second generation is another leap forward. The ease and range of adjustment of the front end is a really useful feature.

No comment on the Felt I can offer as I've not seen one.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Help! 2016 Speed Concept 9.9 vs 2016 Felt IA2 [trueff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am looking at 2016 for both.

Color, paint, looks ect... are secondary concerns for me. I am interested in Speed and Comfort...overall performance.

The SC is a P1 so colors aren't an issue... The IA2 paint/colors are fine with me.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept 9.9 (w/ultegra DI2) vs 2016 Felt IA2 [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkippyKitten wrote:
Having had to some work on a current model Speed Concept this weekend I am sorely tempted. I have an original 9 series which I love but the second generation is another leap forward. The ease and range of adjustment of the front end is a really useful feature.

I was on the same boat a year ago when I was seriuosly considering getting the updated SC.
However, I backed off and stuck with my old (original) SC for the following reasons:

- There is nothing wrong with my current SC as it fits me well.
- No need for the adjustability feature of the new frame because the adjustments on my old one (five years of fine tuning) are spot on for me.
- Although the frameset is five years old, it has no defects or flaws. It probably needs a third set of bearings but the other parts are fine.
- It is only one pound heavier than the new SC frame. I can skip lunch for a week and I can lose that one pound.
- The market value (Ebay) of the old SC is pretty low at around $1,400 for the frameset.
- The retail value (bike shop) of the new SC is pretty high at around $4,990.
- I see no justification for spending $3,600 of hard earned money to upgrade to a new SC. It simply is not a sound financial decision no matter how you justify it.

So I just upgrade the SC's Dura Ace Di2 groupset from 10 speed to 11 speed and the bike is now lighter and components are all the latest.

Last edited by: paxfobiscum: Aug 11, 15 11:00
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept 9.9 (w/ultegra DI2) vs 2016 Felt IA2 [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No new bike is a sound financial decision! ... But it doesn't stop me looking ;-) I did price up an insurance replacement recently and a 7 series Project One with Ultegra Di2 was almost good value, sort of.

I'm not shopping. I'm even resisting the amazingly sexy new Madone.

One thing I will say is that having a Project One painted bike, I wouldn't hesitate in doing it again and getting exactly the colour fancied. The finish is superb!

Last edited by: SkippyKitten: Aug 11, 15 11:11
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept 9.9 (w/ultegra DI2) vs 2016 Felt IA2 [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

.... oh, I forgot to mention I have a kid going to college next year. Ouch.

Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept 9.9 (w/ultegra DI2) vs 2016 Felt IA2 [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I come from a SC 9.7 and is now rocking a Felt IA with Di2 ultegra.

I'm pretty sure you'll need a wind tunnel test to see the performance difference between them. Both are smoking fast and I doubt you'll win or lose a KQ based on one of those twi beauties.

I like the look of the Felt IA more so I'm happy with my change.

I liked the draft box on the SC. The Calpack on the IA is too small IMO. Rinny had a special deeper box made for her but Felt obviously won't make it available to the public. At least that is what Felt Denmark told me.

No matter what you choose you won't be able to blame your bike ;)

Have you seen the new Argon 18 e-119 tri? Looks good!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you decide? IA or SC?
Quote Reply
Re: Help! 2016 Speed Concept 9.9 vs 2016 Felt IA2 [keqwow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. After a ton of research, including talking to folks as well with experience with both bikes and some fitting work with a Master Retul fitter.....

I ordered a Project One Speed Concept 9.9. In addition, I just ordered the PowerTap P1 Power Meter pedals to go on it.
Last edited by: trueff: Sep 2, 15 17:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fantastic. Bet you can't wait.

BUT you forgot to say WHAT COLOUR!

Quote Reply
Re: Help! 2016 Speed Concept 9.9 vs 2016 Felt IA2 [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing special with the color. Pretty close to the stock matte Black with red trim and red bar tape.
Quote Reply