Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Helmets, Base Camp Zoom vs Giro Air Attack
Quote | Reply
So my air attack helmet is getting old, middle magnet does not work, so have to tape shield on. getting annoying. Looking for new helmets I came across the Base Camp Zoom with shield on Amazon. Looks like a total knock off of the air attack but only $35. I figured at that price worth a try so just ordered 1. Anyone know the aero properties or heat factor of this vs air attack?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0731LNRJ3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Last edited by: CP78: Mar 7, 18 14:44
Quote Reply
Re: Helmets, Base Camp Zoom vs Giro Air Attack [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn't look like it's USAT legal without a CPSC certification. If they didn't have it tested by CPSC, I doubt they would have it tested in a wind tunnel.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmets, Base Camp Zoom vs Giro Air Attack [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just my 2 cents, of all the things to cut costs on, your helmet and your brakes are not two of them.

Kent
Quote Reply
Re: Helmets, Base Camp Zoom vs Giro Air Attack [adamga1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adamga1 wrote:
It doesn't look like it's USAT legal without a CPSC certification. If they didn't have it tested by CPSC, I doubt they would have it tested in a wind tunnel.

According to the site it is CE certifed, which is a European Union. Dug up this old slowtwitch article and this exert:

the CE standard allows for a lighter helmet, some helmet makers manufacture to the CE standard, to meet the competitive needs of that market – and then make changes to the helmet, including an increase in the density of the foam – to make the helmet CPSC-compliant.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Opinion/Helmet_rule_upheaval__4013.html

So not to be used for USAT racing, if its good enough for Europe it should be good enough to train in. Does anyone know if Canada races allow these helmets?
Quote Reply
Re: Helmets, Base Camp Zoom vs Giro Air Attack [Kent_NewZealand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kent_NewZealand wrote:
Just my 2 cents, of all the things to cut costs on, your helmet and your brakes are not two of them.

Kent

ha ha yup!

I would be wary of buying a $35 helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmets, Base Camp Zoom vs Giro Air Attack [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like the top review on Amazon is from a guy that took a pretty big hit from a car while wearing it. He increased his rating from 4 stars to 5 stars following the accident. So at least in one case it stood up to impact.
Quote Reply