Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Helmet recommendations based on pics...
Quote | Reply
Every thread I've read on helmet recommendations basically recommends trying on a whole bunch and seeing what fits closest to your body shape on the bike. However, I'm sure you can appreciate that this isn't practical for most, hence I was wondering if anyone with a good deal of experience with the smörgåsbord of helmets available could give me a few pointers towards a few options?

Head shape wise, I find Specialized comfortable and think I have a slightly more oval head. Giro helmets always feel like they have a large gap at the side and I size up to get the fore aft sizing.

I'll add the caveat that my position is a work in progress… :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet recommendations based on pics... [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Position first.

Then go buy an Advantage 2 and figure that you're probably not in the "best" helmet you could be, but you're in a "good" helmet and almost certainly not a "bad" helmet.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet recommendations based on pics... [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy to take pointers on position… I've set the bike up fairly closely to my fit figures. I can hold the position comfortably for long course tri distances; it looks like I don't rotate my pelvis much. Probably my flexibility needs a lot more work!

Giro Adv. 2 was one of the options. An Evade was another. I was trying to keep track of how much I moved my head around; I think I was pretty good at holding the head position. I know Specialized helmets fit well, but the $ for S-Works is quite high. Other passions dictate how much I can afford to throw at triathlon, and the engine needs more work than the equipment. I just figured a helmet was low hanging fruit, hence worth looking at.
Last edited by: JerseyBigfoot: Sep 17, 14 5:32
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet recommendations based on pics... [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
leegoocrap wrote:
Position first.

Then go buy an Advantage 2 and figure that you're probably not in the "best" helmet you could be, but you're in a "good" helmet and almost certainly not a "bad" helmet.

This. Considering your head shape, an LG-P09 might fit a bit better as might a Scott Split. The former of those two has been tested a lot at this point and seems to test pretty well.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet recommendations based on pics... [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LG was hard to get hold of this side of the pond, but I see the distributor has just got them up on their website. Didn't know about the Scott, looks good.

One thing, I see I've got quite a high head position. I guess I should try dropping it down a bit. With that said, would a helmet with a more traditional tail than the more modern offerings be better (with the caveat of holding head position)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a Lazer Tardiz, but pics revealed that the tail just wasn't getting down on my back. Plus, I move my head a lot. Looking down, etc.

The Specialized Evade test really fast, faster than most traditional long-tailed helmets, depending on who you read. Plus, when I put my head down, I know the tail of the helmet isn't up in the wind.

I picked one up, and am really happy with it. Super comfy, looks good, and fast.

YMMV, but this has been a good choice for me.

-Stephen in Arkansas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
One thing, I see I've got quite a high head position. I guess I should try dropping it down a bit. With that said, would a helmet with a more traditional tail than the more modern offerings be better (with the caveat of holding head position)?

Maybe... It certainly *could* be.

Ideally you'd test to know... of course that isn't practical for most people. So...

If you're guessing, the safest play is to pick one of the helmets that tests "least bad" on the most people to minimize your chance of paying a lot of cash for a "bad" lid.

The other choice is to pick out the helmet you think looks the most badass, buy it and tell yourself it's the fastest for you and never mind the other stuff.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply