Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Helmet considerations - spaceship vs compact
Quote | Reply
Getting into tri's i was caught in the gear frenzy and purchased a time trial helmet looking like a space suit hoping to bike up some speed savings to compensate for crappy legs.

Now a few years later my old helmet is calling for a replacement and I need help to choose. I have improved and now post front of the pack bike splits so this time i actually want real aero benefits.

Although i am kind of tired of the space ship look and i have started to contemplate how large the benefits actually are. Especially since I am not strong enough to keep optimal neck position for a full IM.

- How large is the difference of aero road helmets vs compact TT helmets vs spaceship TT helmets?
- What data source is recomemded to campare helmet drag?
- Your favorite helmet?
- Other relevant input?
Last edited by: swedester: Jun 29, 16 10:05
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet considerations - spaceship vs compact [swedester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How are you defining "spaceship" vs "compact" TT helmets?

There is no golden source for helmet data as it's very individual to the rider and the rider's position. That said, the fast TT helmet for a person is usually 30-45 seconds faster per 40k than the fastest aero road helmet.

My personal favorite helmet is the Bontrager Ballista. It fits me very well, is well ventilated, and is decently fast as well! I race in the Scott Split. It's neither as comfy nor as cool as the Ballista but, for me, it's very very fast :)
Quote Reply