Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Helmet Visor v Sunglasses
Quote | Reply
I'm currently using sunglasses and a standard Giro helmet. I'm looking for input as to whether I should switch to a visor/aero-helmet combo. Two issues - 1) the top of my sunglasses fall right in my line of vision while on the bike, requiring me to either raise my head higher (resulting in increased neck fatigue) or move the glasses down the bridge of my nose, and 2) I sweat like crazy so I constantly have sweat trails right through the middle of my lenses.

I'm wondering if a visor helmet would be more favorable over sunglasses, or if visors have their own issues. I'm shooting for a 12:30:00 full, so as a MOP/BOP I'm not that concerned about how it will affect my time as much as race comfort. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet Visor v Sunglasses [MKATC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you can't wear visors on the run. /s
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MKATC wrote:
I'm currently using sunglasses and a standard Giro helmet. I'm looking for input as to whether I should switch to a visor/aero-helmet combo. Two issues - 1) the top of my sunglasses fall right in my line of vision while on the bike, requiring me to either raise my head higher (resulting in increased neck fatigue) or move the glasses down the bridge of my nose, and 2) I sweat like crazy so I constantly have sweat trails right through the middle of my lenses.

I'm wondering if a visor helmet would be more favorable over sunglasses, or if visors have their own issues. I'm shooting for a 12:30:00 full, so as a MOP/BOP I'm not that concerned about how it will affect my time as much as race comfort. Thoughts?

Interested in responses here. I've heard that visors dont have the same ventilation effect on the face and are hotter. Can anyone confirm this?

---------------------------------------------------------------
My other car is a Felt. DFL>DNF>DNS.

"There will come a day you won't be able to do this, today is not that day."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rimless glasses like Smith Pivlock?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made exactly the switch you are describing for the reasons you are describing. I did take a half step first by getting some zero frame cycling sunglasses that fixed the frame vision blocking issue, but had the sweat streak issue you had. New helmet with a visor totally fixed it.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet Visor v Sunglasses [milksteak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What helmet/visor combo did you go with?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Air attack shield is what I got, not the best or most aero but I like it.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet Visor v Sunglasses [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the rimless Smith Pivlocks and they eliminate the problem of having the frame block your vision. I do still sweat a lot in them, but I live in Tampa.

I also have a helmet with a visor. I find I don't get as much sweat on the visor as I do on my sunglasses. But the visor definitely makes the helmet hotter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same issue with the sunglasses frame being right in my line of sight. I tried helmets with integrated visors too but those helmets tend to fit low across my forehead and also got in the way. If you go the helmet/visor route you need to try it on your bike in your TT position before buying. For me what works best is frameless sunglasses like Oakley EV Zeros.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet Visor v Sunglasses [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just flew out of Tampa this morning back to equally humid Houston. Loved your Courtney Campbell trail!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, helmet with a visor is a little bit warmer but eliminates the hassle with the glasses you mentioned.

With that said the Pivlocks someone mentioned above are good, I use the Tifosi Podiums for every day riding and like them a lot.

There are good and bad visor'd helmets, which one works the best for you depend on your head/body/fit. Personally I use the Lazer Wasp Air, I have used the Bell Javelin and the LAS Chrono and I like all 3. For some reason the Giro helmets just don't fit my head so I don't have an opinion on those.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to use LG Chrono plus huge Spy+ glasses and now I use Giro Air Attack with Shield. I much prefer the Air Attack. It's far from the most aero helmet - but it is very comfortable. It does get warmer, and I still end up with sweat stains on the visor after a hard effort, but I still prefer it. Plus you can hear well with it as it does not cover your ears.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made the switch to a poc helmet with visor and my only regret is I didn't do it earlier. I sweat a lot, but havent noticed anymore with the new set up. Biggest gain for me is no more fogging, but the the sight line is also considerably better.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet Visor v Sunglasses [pauljra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm on my 4th visor helmet, the first 3 all had various issues with the visor.I hady a Rudy Projects Syton, which was OK for the price, dirt cheap, the visor flopped around a bit and was cheap quality. I then had a Kabuto Aero 1 with retractable visor, again fairly cheap and not great quality. I then got a Kask Bambino which was great. Really comfy and good visor, other than the magnets. Not a major problem for a full, but with sprints and OD I'd sometimes spend 30s trying to get the visor sorted. I could do it 2 - 3 secs at home, but come race day.... so I sold it. But am getting the new model Bambino with better magnets. I also have the Giro Air Attack for road use with visor, it's only a small visor so doesn't look too wank when riding on the road and I often keep it on my helmet when not in use, pull it down when the sun comes out. Really handy on rides when you start in the dark. Definitely recommend visors. Just spend the money and get a good one. If you get a magentised one make sure it has decent magnets. I almost spent $400 on a Smith Podiim helmet and then found out it had the same problem as the old Bambino.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet Visor v Sunglasses [misha1809] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
misha1809 wrote:
MKATC wrote:

Interested in responses here. I've heard that visors dont have the same ventilation effect on the face and are hotter. Can anyone confirm this?

I've used my Bambino in temps around high 80s with no problems, also used other visor helmets in hotter races - 96F, a little bit warm, but not something you're overly conscious of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made the switch to a visor helmet for the same reasons you mentioned. I got the Bell Javelin because it was cheap, but I love it! I still sweat on the lens a little, but I use Rainex on the inside of the visor so the sweat rolls off with only a barely-visible streak. I actually haven't noticed it being any hotter, but I don't think I've raced any really hot races with it. I normally do Sprint/Olympic racing, but I've done a 70.3 with it no problem. The visor is just far enough from my face that I can reach up and wipe sweat as needed. And despite being sensitive to light (I can't go outside without sunglasses or a hat even when it's cloudy), I actually just wear a hat or visor very low over my eyes during the run and skip sunglasses altogether. If I wear glasses the hat can't get low enough to catch the sweat before it drops, and when it's that low it provides enough shade I guess. So the helmet visor allows me to forgo sunglasses completely, which simplifies transition a surprising amount (no more worrying about my nice shades getting scratched).

Powertap / Cycleops / Saris
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet Visor v Sunglasses [Tulkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've switched from Smith Pivlocks to a Giro Selector with visor on the bike. It may be a little warmer, but it's also quieter, which over 112 miles I feel is less fatiguing. I ran it in the Cabo and Texas heat and never felt like I overheated, but I was also heat acclimated.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet Visor v Sunglasses [lemos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You /s this, but it's a valid point. One more thing to put in your transition box, one more thing to put on, one more thing to lose or forget.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet Visor v Sunglasses [lemos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lemos wrote:
you can't wear visors on the run. /s

Actually you can :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MKATC wrote:
Just flew out of Tampa this morning back to equally humid Houston. Loved your Courtney Campbell trail!

The bayshore run is quite nice in the evenings - dont do it in the mornings - the sun beats you on until it sets haha it is brutal.
Quote Reply