Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Helmet Questions
Quote | Reply
Racing all sprints and currently use the Giro AirAttack.

Any reason to switch to a Rudy Wingspan or Wing57?
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet Questions [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
I think the general consensus for Rudy helmets is that they are some of the worst-performing helmets for most riders in most positions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
^As above, the Rudy's don't generally test "great." (That doesn't mean they don't test great on you however... just in general.) That said, the Air Attack is likely nowhere on par even with a poor performing dedicated aero lid. (The Giro usually tests toward the low end of "aero" road helmets, although again, ymmv)

tldr; There is probably some speed to be picked up by wearing a Rudy over the Air Attack.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet Questions [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got it. Thanks.

In retrospect, I could have asked the question differently: I am buying my first helmet and all I am doing is Sprints. Would you buy the AirAttack or the Rudy?

Sounds like the answer is the Rudy.

When I bought the AA, I was doing longer races so I was looking for something more like a road helmet and I was afraid of the stuff I read about the aero lids possibly getting warm. Now that I'm going short (and I'm semi-competitive in the short where in the long I was a "finisher"), I'm trying to squeeze out every little second I can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why limit yourself to only air attack or Rudy?

There are tonnes of other aero-road and aero helmets out there that generally test better than both of those.

If you're looking at "aero-road" helmets - Look at helmets like the Bontrager Ballista, Poc Octal aero, Kask Protone, MET Manta, or Scott Cadence Plus.

For straight up aero helmets, the Kask Bambino, Poc Cerebel, Smith Podium, Giro Aerohead, LG P-09 and Lazer Wasp are all usually better options than the Rudy helmets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
Got it. Thanks.

In retrospect, I could have asked the question differently: I am buying my first helmet and all I am doing is Sprints. Would you buy the AirAttack or the Rudy?

Sounds like the answer is the Rudy.

The answer was really 'neither'.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet Questions [jarret_g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jarret_g wrote:
Why limit yourself to only air attack or Rudy?

There are tonnes of other aero-road and aero helmets out there that generally test better than both of those.

If you're looking at "aero-road" helmets - Look at helmets like the Bontrager Ballista, Poc Octal aero, Kask Protone, MET Manta, or Scott Cadence Plus.

For straight up aero helmets, the Kask Bambino, Poc Cerebel, Smith Podium, Giro Aerohead, LG P-09 and Lazer Wasp are all usually better options than the Rudy helmets.
Agree with this and the post below yours... the answer IMO is neither the AirAttack or Rudy's.

I'd add another helmet to the road helmets... I used to have the AirAttack Shield but recently replaced it after crashing. Went with a Bell Pro Shield since I like the integrated visor on my road helmet. I think the Ballista is about as good as it gets currently with aero road helmets, tests well and moves a ton of air.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
I am buying my first helmet and all I am doing is Sprints. Would you buy the AirAttack or the Rudy?... Now that I'm going short (and I'm semi-competitive in the short where in the long I was a "finisher"), I'm trying to squeeze out every little second I can.
Since performance matters. Get a straight-up aero helmet. Do not include any Rudy products on that list. jarret_g's list is pretty good. Depending on budget, you could add the Bell Jevelin, which is a pretty good helmet at a phenomenal price point. But, if I were buying an aero helmet now, I would probably get either a Bambino or Aerohead.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet Questions [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
DJRed wrote:
I am buying my first helmet and all I am doing is Sprints. Would you buy the AirAttack or the Rudy?... Now that I'm going short (and I'm semi-competitive in the short where in the long I was a "finisher"), I'm trying to squeeze out every little second I can.

Since performance matters. Get a straight-up aero helmet. Do not include any Rudy products on that list. jarret_g's list is pretty good. Depending on budget, you could add the Bell Jevelin, which is a pretty good helmet at a phenomenal price point. But, if I were buying an aero helmet now, I would probably get either a Bambino or Aerohead.

This^. And the Giro Advantage 2 is available at ExcelSports for $68. Although dated, this helmet still tests near the top. I have never seen a test where either Rudy or the AirAttack are above the midpoint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
^As above, the Rudy's don't generally test "great." (That doesn't mean they don't test great on you however... just in general.) That said, the Air Attack is likely nowhere on par even with a poor performing dedicated aero lid. (The Giro usually tests toward the low end of "aero" road helmets, although again, ymmv)

tldr; There is probably some speed to be picked up by wearing a Rudy over the Air Attack.

I know as you said the air attack shield is generally on the bottom of the list. But looking at the helmet, anyone have any ideas what makes the air attack shield slower than the other aero road helmets? I used one for a while, gotta say, it was damn comfortable and the shield was really high quality.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet Questions [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably little details, like the Air Attack does not cover ears like most aero helmets. And, even the short-tail aero helmets like the Bambino have small protrusions that smooth airflow in the transition from head to back. And, most of the aero helmets with visors have a more smooth, continuous shape from the sides of the visor into the helmet area over the years.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet Questions [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all who responded.

The problem with my original post was that I left out the detail that I saw a decent deal on the Rudy and figured it was an upgrade over the AA so what the hell. I wasn't really shopping for an aero and ended on Rudy.

However, I have been duly ST reprimanded! I'm going to take a look at the others recommended. I'm fortunate enough to have a little disposable cash right now so while I'm not looking to get toys, it wouldn't hurt me to buy a few seconds over a sprint distance.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet Questions [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No idea really. The other aero road helmets are a little less dramatically "round" (evade, ballista, etc) which *may* possibly... or maybe it was just that it was pretty much the first one and the other guys improved on the design.

Don't take it as me crapping on the helmet... these are just generalizations from stuff I've seen. The air attack is still probably better than most true road helmets, just like a "bad" aero helmet is still probably better than most aero road helmets.

off topic sorta but wasn't Giro trying to sell an air attack that covered the ears for some ridiculous price tag leading into the Rio games?

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want a deal on an Aero helmet, the Giro Advantage 2 is on sale at Excel Sports right now for $68! This is one of a few helmets that has consistently tested fast for most users.

Another consistently fast testing helmet is the LG-09 mentioned above. I've seen some rally low prices for these in the ST classifieds at times so take a look. But hard to beat $68 for a new Advantage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thx.
I don't want to use a full tail helmet, I don't have the ability to lock myself into the proper position. So I want something short, and with a visor - even if the visor is considered a bit slower, I much prefer it to wearing glasses.
Was considering an aero road helmet like the scott cadence, but since I'd prefer a visor, may go with a Cerebel, which I've used in the past and like. Though I see Rudy has the Boost 01 now too.....hmmm... but would it also be considered a 'salad bowl' (which I believe was the term used for the air attack...)..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

If you are in the M45-49 then yes you should use the Rudy project. I strongly encourage everyone in that age group to immediately go out and buy one of those for racing.

EDIT: Oh wait you're using the Air Attack. Damn dude that's a tough call. Either is good for racing in the M45-49.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: May 3, 17 11:10
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet Questions [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know the ideal aero helmet will vary for each rider, but what time difference is a accurate estimate from the best to worst aero TT helemets for 90K? 10 to 30 seconds?
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet Questions [TriathleteWes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keeping this in mind 50g drag ~= .5s/km ~= 5w ~= .0005Crr

The Rudy is typically 1-1.5sec/km slower than the best helmet. That being said, we've seen the PR test in the top 3 helmets for >5% but <10% of people we test.

Compare that to the Giro Advantage 2. There is probably <40gm of drag between the best helmet for someone and that helmet.

Until the Giro Aerohead came out Giro didn't have a helmet that was consistently as fast for as many people as the Advantage 2.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems the consensus on the forum is Rudy helmets are average at best. Yet, I saw numerous pro's wearing them at Oceanside a month ago. The Wingspan is the only helmet I've owned since I picked up the sport 3 years ago. I will say that the ventilation is great. I've never had a overheating issue. Would love to test the Wingspan vs other top of the line helmets. I will say the Aerohead looks awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Quote:

If you are in the M45-49 then yes you should use the Rudy project. I strongly encourage everyone in that age group to immediately go out and buy one of those for racing.

EDIT: Oh wait you're using the Air Attack. Damn dude that's a tough call. Either is good for racing in the M45-49.

I just aged into M45-49 this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Would love to test the Wingspan vs other top of the line helmets. I will say the Aerohead looks awesome.

Just because a pro is wearing or using something doesn't mean it's a good helmet. Was having a conversation with another coach today about how we love seeing athletes in the pro field that we don't coach using those helmets. It's at least a :30 head start for our athletes.

I looked at a few years of testing data today. 50+ athletes at least 4 helmets tested per athlete. Guess the percentage a wingspan or wingspan 57 finished in the top 3 fastest helmets?

We should make a game out of this. If you guess incorrectly you get to help me move on Friday morning. If you guess correctly I'll ship you a 6 pack of good beer.

To steal a line from Banzai players should "place their bets"

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2% for the Wingspan and 0% for the Wing57.

I just had a thought...Cameron Dye is an absolute monster on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Quote:
Would love to test the Wingspan vs other top of the line helmets. I will say the Aerohead looks awesome.

Just because a pro is wearing or using something doesn't mean it's a good helmet. Was having a conversation with another coach today about how we love seeing athletes in the pro field that we don't coach using those helmets. It's at least a :30 head start for our athletes.

I looked at a few years of testing data today. 50+ athletes at least 4 helmets tested per athlete. Guess the percentage a wingspan or wingspan 57 finished in the top 3 fastest helmets?

We should make a game out of this. If you guess incorrectly you get to help me move on Friday morning. If you guess correctly I'll ship you a 6 pack of good beer.

To steal a line from Banzai players should "place their bets"

0%
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
0%

>0<X

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Quote:
0%

>0<X

> 5%
< 10%

:)

After quite a bit of research around the net last night, the general consensus is the Met Drone Wide Body and the Giro Aerohead test fastest on most people at this time. I do like the idea of the Giro where you can remove the visor and place on helmet while the Met Drone visor is fixed permanently to the helmet. They both look fairly similar in design.
Quote Reply

Prev Next