Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots
Quote | Reply
Per the Ironman email below. Guess they were having trouble getting Americans to fly 30 hours across 3 connecting flights to complete two races four weeks apart in the middle of mainland China?

Dear IRONMAN Athletes,

First, thank you for being part of the IRONMAN community. Your dedication and commitment are inspiring—you truly represent the pinnacle of accomplishment in endurance sport.

Since IRONMAN became a part of Wanda Sports last November, we have been very excited to bring the unique IRONMAN race experience to China. With the recently added IRONMAN 70.3 events in Hefei and Xiamen, we are now able to showcase two of China's premier event destinations and world-class host cities.

To celebrate these two new races and help introduce the triathlon world to China, we are pleased to announce that these events will together offer a total of 100 slots to the 2017 IRONMAN World Championship in Kailua-Kona, making them the only IRONMAN 70.3 triathlons in the world to provide standard qualification slots for Kona. IRONMAN 70.3 Hefei will offer 50 age group slots and IRONMAN 70.3 Xiamen will offer 40, allocated proportionally as per our global world championship protocol. The remaining 10 slots will be awarded to top performing athletes who complete both races.

IRONMAN 70.3 Hefei takes place in an iconic capital city in the eastern China Anhui Province. Hefei boasts a local culture and history that dates back more than 2,000 years. Well known both at home and abroad as a historic site famous for the Three Kingdoms Period, it is also the hometown of Lord Bao. Located between the Yangtze River and the Huaihe River and beside the Chaohu Lake, the city boasts an impressive collection of botanical gardens, temples, and other historical sites to help make your visit truly memorable.

At IRONMAN 70.3 Xiamen located on the southeast coast of China, athletes will be treated to the picturesque Island Ring Road and coastal avenues on the mainland that reflect the beauty of the seaside city. The city's name means "Garden of the Sea," and it is both a modern port city and a prestigious tourist destination. Here, sea views are backed by impressive cityscapes, offering a unique blend of the natural and urban. This coastal city is simultaneously ancient and modern, traditional and progressive, relaxing and revitalizing.

I would like to invite you to join us in celebrating the inaugural year of these events and to seize the opportunity to race and experience all that this wonderful country has to offer.

Sincerely,

ANDREW MESSICK
President and Chief Executive Officer IRONMAN®
Quote Reply
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously if I was healthy I'd be there in an instant (I was thinking about going anyway when they were first announced, but not healthy enough for that). Xiamen looks easy to get to from Hong Kong and Taipei too.
Quote Reply
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Seriously if I was healthy I'd be there in an instant (I was thinking about going anyway when they were first announced, but not healthy enough for that). Xiamen looks easy to get to from Hong Kong and Taipei too.

Not going to lie, I am thinking about going. I suck at Ironman. My only real chance of getting into the one in Hawaii is a 70.3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing though.....it's not like triathlon is just being intro'd to China. We had IM China previously, ITU World's, Olympic games all in China. Semantics, because I know Wanda wants to grow the sport in China and why not. Love to see the middle class there get into this sport.

Now if they can just add a "Beast" climb we will be set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WTC absolutely sucks. What a frustrating answer to the longstanding question of where all the slots are going.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Not going to lie, I am thinking about going. I suck at Ironman. My only real chance of getting into the one in Hawaii is a 70.3.

Go at this with an open mind. You are getting a vacation and a cultural experience and a shot at Kona and a race as a bonus. Flights from mainland USA to Hong Kong or Shanghai are pretty inexpensive overall and it is a quick hop from Hong Kong to Xiamen...longer hop from Shanghai, but not far. I don't know costs on the ground in Xiamen, but I don't imagine they would be inflated like Lake Placid anyway. On the way back spend few days in Hong Kong or Shanghai.

Personally I would go via Hong Kong and spend some days in Hong Kong on my return. I love Hong Kong to visit (I could probably live there for 2 years but my wife would never want to). I say you do it....KQ could be a bonus, but either way you win.
Quote Reply
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this more than anything shows there is more room on the pier or that the number of slots to kona is NOT limited by the size of transition.
Quote Reply
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [thisgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thisgirl wrote:
I think this more than anything shows there is more room on the pier or that the number of slots to kona is NOT limited by the size of transition.

Note this is for Kona 2017. You have not seen the race slot allocation yet for 2017 at most of the other races. Many could easily be down. 50 of those slots come from now IM Muskoka 2016 that would have had slots for Kona 2017, so it's just 50 more slots from elsewhere.

No worries just get on a plane and head to China. I know it is easy for me to say since i have been there around 15x, but it is a very interesting country if you go with an open mind. Sure there are some things I don't like about it, but there are many things I don't like about Canada where I live too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
   Um, you may want to read your own post and rethink your train of thought. jus sayin "suck at Ironman. My only real chance of getting into the one in"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So Hefei has 50 Kona slots and 50 for the Chattanooga 70.3 WCs. Xiamen has 40 Kona slots and 50 for the Chattanooga 70.3 WCs. Plus there'll be 10 Kona slots awarded at Xiamen for the best finishers from both.

Any idea how the slots will be awarded? Will there be 2 slot allocations and roll downs? Would you be able to get both slots or have to choose etc?
Quote Reply
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [BIGringbrah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BIGringbrah wrote:
Um, you may want to read your own post and rethink your train of thought. jus sayin "suck at Ironman. My only real chance of getting into the one in"

There's a difference between wanting to do an event and expecting to do very well and be very competitive in one. Kona is an awesome experience that I would like to do (again) even as I know I'm very likely never going to vie for the podium or anything. Is that crazy?
Quote Reply
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [uk_bloke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uk_bloke wrote:
So Hefei has 50 Kona slots and 50 for the Chattanooga 70.3 WCs. Xiamen has 40 Kona slots and 50 for the Chattanooga 70.3 WCs. Plus there'll be 10 Kona slots awarded at Xiamen for the best finishers from both.

Any idea how the slots will be awarded? Will there be 2 slot allocations and roll downs? Would you be able to get both slots or have to choose etc?

Typically, yes, you'd get both slots
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
uk_bloke wrote:

In that respect it's a very attractive proposition then!
Quote Reply
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [uk_bloke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uk_bloke wrote:
kileyay wrote:
uk_bloke wrote:

I have had a beef with this type of double slot allocation being the victim and potentially the recepient at St. Croix (I got a Kona slot and could have taken 70.3 but did not...I ended up qualifying elsewhere). I don't think it is right that an athlete does a single race and is able to go to two championships. You should have to work 2 races for 2 slot. This allocation process needs to be fixed especially if the point is to grow the sport in Asia. Ideally you don't want a bunch of foreigners flying in and cleaning up all the slots and you want some locals getting 70.3 slots as a minimum. With Kona slots on deck, there will be lots of Americans, Europeans, Aussies and Kiwis coming over to compete for these.

With 50 70.3 slots for me that would be my best shot....we'd probably get 4-5 slots in 50-54 because all my peers can afford to fly over and I am way better in half than full (at least when healthy....not now)....and I know how to travel 12 time zone and deal with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea how strong the locals are (we might not see them travelling to regular WTC international races that much otherwise, like in Turkey or Brazil)

R
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
uk_bloke wrote:
kileyay wrote:
uk_bloke wrote:

I have had a beef with this type of double slot allocation being the victim and potentially the recepient at St. Croix (I got a Kona slot and could have taken 70.3 but did not...I ended up qualifying elsewhere). I don't think it is right that an athlete does a single race and is able to go to two championships. You should have to work 2 races for 2 slot. This allocation process needs to be fixed especially if the point is to grow the sport in Asia. Ideally you don't want a bunch of foreigners flying in and cleaning up all the slots and you want some locals getting 70.3 slots as a minimum. With Kona slots on deck, there will be lots of Americans, Europeans, Aussies and Kiwis coming over to compete for these.

With 50 70.3 slots for me that would be my best shot....we'd probably get 4-5 slots in 50-54 because all my peers can afford to fly over and I am way better in half than full (at least when healthy....not now)....and I know how to travel 12 time zone and deal with it.

I think they would be good races for US based athletes to grab a slot for the 70.3 worlds; people travelling from Europe, Asia and Australasia to race would be primarily there for Kona slots and very few of them would be in a position to travel to Chattanooga and Kona, so i guess they would be pass on their 70.3 slots.
Quote Reply
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [teambernina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teambernina wrote:
Any idea how strong the locals are (we might not see them travelling to regular WTC international races that much otherwise, like in Turkey or Brazil)

R

I am not sure you'll see a lot of competitive local Chinese athletes - the City population is quite sedentary and the rural population perhaps too poor.

Your main competition I'd think will be HK, Singapore and Mainland China based ex-pats, Japanese and Aussie athletes and perhaps a few Middle Eastern based ex-pats.

And you always see a few Brits and Germans wherever you go.

Overall I would expect the top 5-10 athletes from the main male age-groups to be reasonably competitive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoa... can get a single stop flight (HK) from Chicago to Xiamen for $637. Five star hotels from $80-120 a night.

Ummmm... this might actually be worth giving it a shot.
Quote Reply
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How competitive will these races actually be? I mean could someone in the 5-5:30 range for a half in USA get to Kona? It might be worth it. I would do it if I knew my PB in a half is 4:32 in a US race would pretty much guarantee me a spot. But then would you feel like you cheated by going to China to qualify (kind of like the charity or lottery)?
Quote Reply
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimac2 wrote:
How competitive will these races actually be? I mean could someone in the 5-5:30 range for a half in USA get to Kona? It might be worth it. I would do it if I knew my PB in a half is 4:32 in a US race would pretty much guarantee me a spot. But then would you feel like you cheated by going to China to qualify (kind of like the charity or lottery)?

My PB is 4:32. So that's why I'm considering...
Quote Reply
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [teambernina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teambernina wrote:

R

It's probably a turkey shoot.
http://blogs.wsj.com/...rathon-prompt-alarm/
If the local triathletes are anything like the local runners you should have no issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be more concerned with people traveling with the intention to qualify than the local population.

People traveled to 70.3 St. Croix, 70.3 Eagleman and others for the same thing a few years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trimac2 wrote:

It's not cheating at all...it's taking your best shot at getting a slot.

Someone at 5 hours could get one at a race like this. St. Croix always had fast guys at the top end but never had the depth of mainland 70.3s. You had some studs come out but the fact that it was such a PIA to get to made it a much better bet than a race like Eagleman

My guess is these will be similar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
trimac2 wrote:

It's not cheating at all...it's taking your best shot at getting a slot.

Someone at 5 hours could get one at a race like this. St. Croix always had fast guys at the top end but never had the depth of mainland 70.3s. You had some studs come out but the fact that it was such a PIA to get to made it a much better bet than a race like Eagleman

My guess is these will be similar

My guess is if you can't podium at your local 70.3 in the USA, then you won't get a Kona slot at these races in China. Seriously plenty of guys who are fast who want to go to Kona who will travel across the world to get a Kona slot. I bet you 1st to 10th is just going to be like home. 11th -30th, will be more like 30th to 50th back at home though. Count on the pointy end being just as pointy or more but right after that, less deep.

I don't think there is any chance to get a KQ with a 5 hour time unless you are M60+, W50+, or if you did your 5 hour on a course like Muskoka or Wildflower or St. Croix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dev,

Which of these two race venues is more appealing? What would a Racecation itinerary look like?

Scott
Quote Reply

Prev Next