Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hed plus
Quote | Reply
I am currently on hed jet 6 fr.. what differences will I be seeing if I change to the jet plus 6 other than a hole in my pocket? Is it a sensible "upgrade"?
Quote Reply
Re: Hed plus [yangster88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yangster88 wrote:
I am currently on hed jet 6 fr.. what differences will I be seeing if I change to the jet plus 6 other than a hole in my pocket? Is it a sensible "upgrade"?

The differences between your current wheels and the new ones are nearly minimal at the most common yaw angles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say that it is not a sensible upgrade. Any differences you see will be minimal. That said, my Jet+ wheels are verrrry comfy :)
Quote Reply
Re: Hed plus [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you think they ride more comfy vs normal Jets?
Quote Reply
Re: Hed plus [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:

If they do, it's because he let more air out of the tires ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Hed plus [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Tom any rolling tests with the new plus wheels? I've seen the aero data but does the larger contact patch come with a price?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
Hey Tom any rolling tests with the new plus wheels? I've seen the aero data but does the larger contact patch come with a price?

Both myself and others have been unable to detect rolling resistance differences between equivalent setups on narrow and wide rimmed wheels. There may be something there, but I'm just saying it's not detectable to within the measurement error.

IMHO, any rolling resistance claims for wider rims have been highly over-sold.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
3Aims wrote:

If they do, it's because he let more air out of the tires ;-)

Correct. I went from 100/100psi on 22/22 to 85/85psi on "22/23" actual widths are probably 23-24 front 25-26 rear. I'll measure next week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:

Couldn't say. Never ridden normal jets. More comfy than 22mm tubulars at a higher pressure. More comfy than 23mm clinchers on aelous 7s also at 100psi.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
3Aims wrote:

Both myself and others have been unable to detect rolling resistance differences between equivalent setups on narrow and wide rimmed wheels. There may be something there, but I'm just saying it's not detectable to within the measurement error.

IMHO, any rolling resistance claims for wider rims have been highly over-sold.

So can I say that since there is no measurable differences between the both, and also they shows the same aero profile in common yaw angles. Its totally pointless to go replace my jet with the jet plus? I am currently on a 22mm attack front and 23mm gp4000s on my rear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yangster88 wrote:
\So can I say that since there is no measurable differences between the both, and also they shows the same aero profile in common yaw angles. Its totally pointless to go replace my jet with the jet plus? I am currently on a 22mm attack front and 23mm gp4000s on my rear.

I would not replace my Jets with Jet+ just for the wider rim extrusion. Well, unless you just want new wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

if there really is no crr advantage, then for riders doing events over 40km/h ... i would think the new plus must be slower than the old c2, just in terms of frontal area. is that the case?
Quote Reply
Re: Hed plus [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buzz wrote:

if there really is no crr advantage, then for riders doing events over 40km/h ... i would think the new plus must be slower than the old c2, just in terms of frontal area. is that the case?

Probably. The reason I went with the wider rim is that, for me, the 1-3w aero penalty I'm probably paying is "worth it" for the additional comfort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
buzz wrote:

Probably. The reason I went with the wider rim is that, for me, the 1-3w aero penalty I'm probably paying is "worth it" for the additional comfort.

What was preventing you from putting the slightly wider rubber and running lower pressures on your other rims ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
buzz wrote:

What was preventing you from putting the slightly wider rubber and running lower pressures on your other rims ;-)

Nothing. I've been playing musical rims this past year and just switched from tubulars. Killed two birds with one stone: went to clinchers (more serviceable for me) and went more comfy. I figured if I was going to go the wide/comfy route I'd at least go with a rim that was least likely to penalize me for doing so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are probably being penalized by the low pressure though. 85 psi would not be optimal for most people on decent roads. What tires are these?

I'm cool with making rims wider than 23mm, but I'd prefer that they keep the internal width the same for aero reasons.
Quote Reply
Re: Hed plus [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
You are probably being penalized by the low pressure though. 85 psi would not be optimal for most people on decent roads. What tires are these?

I'm cool with making rims wider than 23mm, but I'd prefer that they keep the internal width the same for aero reasons.

Attack 22mm front, GP4000s ii 23mm rear. As an aside, the 22mm was a huge PITA to mount. 23mm went on easy enough.

Decent is the key word.

I found a sweet circuit near where I spend my time in FL so I plan on doing a lot of field testing this fall/winter so I'll post a thread eventually with my findings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never flatted an AW19mm/H3 combo. My only H3 pinch flats have been training on 23mm tires ~120PSI. It makes me wonder if 23mms are actually more prone to pinch flats, but I've never pinch flatted a 23mm tire on a 23mm Hed Jet, which makes me wonder if tires wider than rims increases pinch flat risk.

St. Croix has higher winds/yaw, a technical course, a rough and potentially wet road surface. Despite never personally pinching a 19mm, could this be the case for a 23mm or 25mm rim, with a Zipp 23 or 25 in order to get more tire volume and contact patch, at minimal aerodynamic cost?
Quote Reply