Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hed jet plus
Quote | Reply
I'm assuming at least some of you have read the article on the front page on the new wheels (Ardennes article).

I'm wondering when these will be realeased. I just spoke with HED on the phone last week and they sounded a bit uncertain. I also specifically asked whether these would replace the current Jets and they clearly said NO. This is contrary to the ST article, but maybe keeping the Express models is considered keeping the old Jets...LOL.

The wind tunnel data is quite impressive at high Yaw to say the least.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Hed jet plus [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hedwheels.com has had them on their site for some time now. Not sure if/when they can deliver. I've also seen the Jet+ Disc listed on one or two American sites.

The question is, what's fastest: Jet 9 w/ 20mm tire, Jet+ 9 w/23 mm tire - or Jet+ 9 w/ 20mm tire (if it's at all safe to run that combination).
Quote Reply
Re: Hed jet plus [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Hed jet plus [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You didn't know? You're slipping, Mr. Mott!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm assuming hedcycling is the main American site? It makes no sense why they aren't listed there? I am very confused. LOL.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
oh geez are they going even wider?

ugghhh

Well...yeah...more is more, right??

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
I'm assuming hedcycling is the main American site? It makes no sense why they aren't listed there? I am very confused. LOL.

AFAIK it is. I just don't think HED is the very best at marketing and getting the word out (and updating their web site)... Jack Mott not knowing about HED's latest aero wheels should be a testament to that :p
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's not to like about the wide trend? Are wide wheels not faster under almost all circumstances AND more comfortable?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
What's not to like about the wide trend? Are wide wheels not faster under almost all circumstances AND more comfortable?

If you put 25c tires on them I guess they might be more comfortable.

But faster? No.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Show me how they are not faster? Because I don't know. I assume at zero yaw or low yaw that more narrow is a peach fuzz faster?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
Show me how they are not faster? Because I don't know. I assume at zero yaw or low yaw that more narrow is a peach fuzz faster?

I don't have much in the way of all-else-equal comparisons between wide wheels and narrow wheels but, if you will, consider the case of tires, where currently the unending chorus of advice in triathlon and bike racing circles is that "on the new wide rims, 23mm or even 25mm tires are fastest"

So, consider the Zipp 303, Zipp's widest rim currently, compare the 4000S 23mm vs 25mm:

The 22mm attack, faster still at yaws under 12deg (which liks 95%+ of the yaws you will see)

Or some of Coggan's field test comparing older narrow wheels at low yaw, and narrow tires at low yaw:

http://www.trainingandracingwithapowermeter.com/...s-skinny-vs-fat.html

Now, for crit racing and some road racing where a lot of time is spent in the draft when CRR is still fully on but aero is discounted, and cornering is a big deal, then maaaaybe this wide stuff is the faster option.

But for triathlon, time trials? as a front wheel especially?

going wider than the zipp 404/808fc is probably crazy beans.

Last edited by: jackmott: Nov 25, 13 14:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:

Isn't the onus of proof on the ones making the "faster" claims?

I have yet to see ANY legitimate evidence of the claims of lower Crr for a given tire on a wider rim vs. a narrow rim...and that's something I've looked for myself! (I didn't even see it with equivalent tire pressures...not to mention the fact that wider tires are typically run at lower pressures).

As it stands now, there's no sense in making rims even wider unless the event requires wider tires than the typical 23-24mm, from a performance standpoint.

Last edited by: Tom A.: Nov 25, 13 14:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you look at the front page article you get a graph with the 23mm Jet vs. 25mm Jet+. It does seem like the narrower version is slightly more aero at common low yaw, but I believe the Crr would about make up for that - yes I know some roller testing doesn't show any Crr decrease with rim width, but I have also seen testing that does show a decrease and the basic physics say it should, so at the moment I believe they do decrease Crr (albeit probably not much).

I think Zipp 404FC/808FC is close to 25mm at the brake track so I'm not sure these are any wider than the current Zipp wheels, more like catching up in that regard. The inner width might be larger since the aluminum brake tracks/hooks are probably thinner than the carbon ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
MTM wrote:
but I have also seen testing that does show a decrease

where?

Not mine to share unfortunately, but I very much trust in the man who did the testing.

What I can share is my own testing of Jet 6 vs. H3 both with 20mm Supersonic on P5. They were within 1-2W of each other in all of 8 repeats in all. That's obviously aero and Crr combined as it was field testing - and also close to zero yaw obviously. I'm looking at the Jet+ 9 and fully intend on testing it myself if I buy it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
yes I know some roller testing doesn't show any Crr decrease with rim width, but I have also seen testing that does show a decrease...

My first question for anyone who had made that claim would be to ask how they compensated for wheel rollout. IME, that's VERY important in getting a valid result.

Secondly, I'd ask what pressure they intended to run when using the wider rim, and did they do a pressure vs. Crr sweep.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I ask is that anyone racing in the 50 + age groups, please ride the narrow rims, with narrow tires, pumped to 160 + psi. PLEASE! and thank you :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Hed jet plus [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
All I ask is that anyone racing in the 50 + age groups, please ride the narrow rims, with narrow tires, pumped to 160 + psi. PLEASE! and thank you :-)

why are you still under the impression that narrow tires are a bad idea?

Quote Reply
Re: Hed jet plus [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:

Aside from the psi comment, you know not of what you speak...

Last edited by: Tom A.: Nov 25, 13 15:43
Quote Reply
Re: Hed jet plus [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait...so is the consensus now that an older 808 (torodial shape) is faster than an 808 FC (assuming the same tire for each), at least in cases of low yaw?

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Hed jet plus [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Wait...so is the consensus now that an older 808 (torodial shape) is faster than an 808 FC (assuming the same tire for each), at least in cases of low yaw?

Maybe the tubular if you use very narrow tires, but not sure. All else is not equal there.

Quote Reply
Re: Hed jet plus [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:

No...what I'm saying is that there are narrow tire options that are not only at the pointy end of Crr, but also when mated up to narrower rims are as fast, or faster, at lower yaws.

All things being equal, when concentrating on low yaw performance, "narrow is aero"...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

aero gentlemen
what about rear wheels? given the shielding done by most frames it seems like wider would be aero harmless, crr positive, and touchy-feely / confidence positive too.

thoughts on that? a "plus" disc sounds good.

Quote Reply

Prev Next