Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hed3 as kona front wheel
Quote | Reply
I'd like to hear some pros and cons from the ST community on running a h3 front at kona. I've ridden, in the past two years, 808 firecrests (windy 2012), and older, non-d3 bonti aeolus (calmer 2103), as well as shallow training wheels on course when training. While there were a few shaky moments on every ride, I didn't perceive a great deal of instability (or differences in stability) across any of the three.

I would use the h3 with a very very deep blackwell research flow fork - I think the blades are 70mm, and spaced quite wide from the spokes. Reported this combo helps buffer crosswinds (confirm?)

My temptation here is the h3 is just a damn fast wheel, and I have a bunch of years of non-kona races and rides on it that have been problem-free. I just like riding it, and it's my go-to for any IM course except kona. I can only think of one or two times that I felt uncomfortable with crosswinds or gusts, and these were brief episodes.

As well -and this is where I stand to be corrected - I seem to remember that kona nets out to a average of seven? Ten? degrees yaw weighted across the whole course, Although there are periods above 15, where another "tuned" wheel like a d3, firecrest or SCT might excel.

Your thoughts? Obviously, I have a bias here, but I'm also keeping an open mind.

Oh - 150lbs, able to stay low for most the ride. Not the best position, but not the worst.

Addendum: rear will probably be a hed 90 sct.
Last edited by: davetallo: Aug 1, 14 12:59
Quote Reply
Re: Hed3 as kona front wheel [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Conventional wisdom says the H3 is out of its element at about 5-7 degrees, so only on a calmer day would it be your best option. I was in Hawaii in March and the winds on the northern end of the island were crazy. I wouldn't want anything more than a 303/Jet or Stinger 4 on a day like that. If I had to pick one wheel I would go 60mm front as the best all around wheel choice. Not the fastest on a calm day but you could still ride it if the winds pick up.
Quote Reply