Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Heat index of 104......
Quote | Reply
So what did I do? I rode for 4 hours. Lol

I did find some rest points. 3 rest stops to cool off. I am not a total dumb ass! It wasn't fun though. But, hey- got a long ride in!
Quote Reply
Re: Heat index of 104...... [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raced a half distance today with heat index peaking over 100 with terrible humidity. The race director cut the run in half. Thank goodness, I either would have dnf or had to walk it in if they kept the full distance. A full med tent as it was. Heat and humidity destroy me, all respect to those that can cope with it, the best I can do is survive.
Quote Reply
Re: Heat index of 104...... [CBJFan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But, you did it! Survival mode!
Quote Reply
Re: Heat index of 104...... [CBJFan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was likely at the same half, the Buckeye Challenge in Ohio. The med tent was no joke, there were plenty of people in various stages of heat duress. Only two DNFs out if the 90ish starters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a 65 mile ride on Saturday. Then, because there is something wrong with me (actually, I felt fine), I did an hour of landscaping that involved a lot of heaving lifting. On Sunday, I was so wiped out that all I could do was a short swim followed by a nap. Oops. I hate the heat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, didn't start my ride Saturday until 1:30. Normally I wouldn't stop but to maybe refill bottles on a 2.5 hour ride, but spent an hour at the gas station stop.
Then I did a 40k TT Sunday.
And I will be outside all day for work :(

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the same things Saturday and ended up with 80 miles. I think the key is starting when it's reasonably cool so you acclimate as the temps go up, if that makes sense. I think we topped out at an actual temp of 97 degrees and the heat index was 105 or so. Personally I didn't feel it was that bad, which is saying something as I am overweight compared to the average slowtwitcher and am usually one of the first to complain of overheating. If I had left my nice air conditioned house and gone out into the 95 degree temps to start the ride I probably would have fallen over on the side of the road in the fetal position. On the bright side, I did get some pretty sweet/crisp tan lines!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got my 4 hours in too and loved every minute! (except the blowout). Sweat flowing feels so good to me, as winter sucks so bad here. Here's an interesting article which I have believed for a long, long time:

http://www.outsideonline.com/...er-altitude-training
Quote Reply
Re: Heat index of 104...... [gbharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. Great buckeye challenge. I like the course a lot, too bad it got so hot that we couldn't really race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
75 on Saturday. 81 on Sunday. HTFU
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha. I live in AZ and it's been 110-115 lately. Training in this weather sucks. I'm ready to move to a cooler climate. Since the weather has turned up the heat my run times have been on a steady rise. Ugh.
Quote Reply