Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Heat Training
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone had a good protocol or guide to preparing for a hot humid race.

I will be training in the cold norther hemisphere with temps around 20-30 degree Fahrenheit. My race is in 90 degree heat with high humidity. I will arrive a few days early but I have heard of protocols to start before had.

Any thoughts or advice

Ben
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Training [Triben32] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Training adaptations will take at least 2 weeks, IIRC, and you should aim close to your target race. For outdoor training, heavy cotton sweatshirts, pants, skigloves, and hats really hold in the heat and can simulate what you're looking for. I personally use a treadmill/trainer with no fan and long sleeves. Keep an eye on your hydration. Doesn't have to be every session, but the more the better. Just keep in mind this will hinder you, so I wouldn't think it's a good idea for VO2max intervals--but easy/moderate should be ok, and some race-pace to get dialed in will be a benefit. Plus, you'll be mentally prepared.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sauna or hot bath. Look for heat acclimation protocols / studies (google) that involve this. From what I read start with 10-15 minutes and add a few minutes every session. Begin about 15 days before the race and stop 3 days before. These can be quite taxing so reduce intensity and volume of s/b/r when doing this. Since you'll be tapering anyway should be fine. Make sure you rehydrate and supplement electrolytes after each session.

I followed this for 10 days for a hot race last year and worked really well for me.

Triben32 wrote:
Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone had a good protocol or guide to preparing for a hot humid race.

I will be training in the cold norther hemisphere with temps around 20-30 degree Fahrenheit. My race is in 90 degree heat with high humidity. I will arrive a few days early but I have heard of protocols to start before had.

Any thoughts or advice

Ben
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Overdress for your workouts, but do not wear cotton. Allow several sessions to allow your body to acclimate (if it ever does).
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Training [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karlaj wrote:
Training adaptations will take at least 2 weeks, IIRC, and you should aim close to your target race. For outdoor training, heavy cotton sweatshirts, pants, skigloves, and hats really hold in the heat and can simulate what you're looking for. I personally use a treadmill/trainer with no fan and long sleeves. Keep an eye on your hydration. Doesn't have to be every session, but the more the better. Just keep in mind this will hinder you, so I wouldn't think it's a good idea for VO2max intervals--but easy/moderate should be ok, and some race-pace to get dialed in will be a benefit. Plus, you'll be mentally prepared.

Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Training [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks I have a hot tub and it is set to 104 so that will be the way to go for that aspect along with the training with lots of clothes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did Cozumel last year coming from California. Did a couple things the last 3-5 weeks before the race
-Dry sauna - started with a shorter time, just a few minutes as it was harder than I thought. After swim. Worked up to about 2 x 10 minutes
-Trainer ride, no fan, long sleeves. No power goals or hard workouts, just getting used to it.

Worked reasonably well I think.

I also used de soto arm coolers for the race, which don't provide a ton of benefit in a humid race, but they were good on the bike keeping me cool when wet with the wind
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Training [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great ideas. A friend of mine put his bike and trainer in the bathroom and put a heater in there. That seems hot!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought about that but my bathroom is small and we were in a drought :)
Last edited by: ChrisM: Nov 29, 17 14:51
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Training [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the Sauna thing for 2 or 3 weeks before a hot race while I was training in cool weather.

Built up from 15 min to 40 min after working out normally.
Quote Reply