Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Heart Rate question
Quote | Reply
I have been noticing when using my heart rate monitor that my heart rate with jump very high during the first few mins of running. Then it settles down and stays around what I see as normal. example:

On yesterdays run I did a 3.1mile run. a half mile into it my heart rate went up to 220bpm and then fell back to about 176bpm this took around 2mins from the start of the rise to the level off. I am fairly new at running and wondering if this is normal? Im 35 years old 6ft 1 and 200lbs.

This seems to have started after I recovered from chicken pox in March of this year.(start the jokes now I never had them as a kid:)
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate question [bigrthanur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Test by making sure the HR strap is good and wet before starting out. I use 'personal lubricant' in Fall/Winter as it is pretty much the same thing as the gel they use for ultrasounds. Works like a charm. I have also noticed that certain shirt materials affect the accuracy of the monitor.
Last edited by: vibrolux: Sep 30, 14 6:36
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate question [vibrolux] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmm i will try to wet the strap next time.

I have read so many conflicting reports on what my max HR should be and have not made a determination. But I do know that my HR in yesterdays run was 175 and over. the average for the 5K was 176 and I was 180-190 the last mile. As far as running too fast Maybe too fast for my body? I am a slow runner and yesterdays 5K was 26:45 so not sure on that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only seen that when my battery is needing replaced or the electrode isn't wet enough.

What was you target pace/zone for the run? 176, for me at least...is above threshold and just a little slower than 10k pace. It's a fast pace I'd only use for shorter, maybe 1/2 mile intervals. I'm 36y/o, 5'11". Easy run pace... which is where you should be maybe 80-90% of the time, is 130-145. How hard are you breathing at that pace?

Since you new at running.... my primary suggestion...and this is very, very common of new runners... well actually most "runners".... SLOW DOWN! Even if you have to walk up hills and alternate run/walk.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What HR monitor are you using? I have had similar issues in the past with a Garmin strap...cruising along at a nice easy pace when all of a sudden the readings go off the charts with no change in RPE whatsoever. As mentioned, not having a good, wet contact might also cause this. I have found that on occasion the HR readings closely match my run cadence of ~180 when I know from experience that my HR is no where close to that level.

As to your absolute HR level I think that it is a very individual number. My threshold HR is right around 175bpm which is definitely on the high end, and I know folks with a threshold HR of 155 or lower...so I wouldn't worry about the actual number. As a new runner your threshold HR will likely rise anyway as you gain fitness
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: vibrolux: Sep 30, 14 6:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No way you can make a recommendation for "YEARS" with the info he gave. For one, being new to running and at that weight, his times could change significantly quickly, especially with weight loss.
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate question [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: vibrolux: Sep 30, 14 6:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am confused. He is supposed to run slow at 10-11 min pace for years or just slow for years?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: vibrolux: Sep 30, 14 6:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But why slow for years when we have no idea what his goals are? I know about Barry P's running plan , Mcmillian, Jack daniels. Weekly milage ect. ...............Guess we choose to disagree
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I was just trying to help the guy out. If I'm way off base, I apologize. I will withdraw my posts. You've got the CON.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my aplogies.....i am out of here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The electronics of virtually all heart rate straps be they ant+ or bluetooth are the same, they all buy them from the same source. And there is a bug in them that makes them go nuts in the first 15 minutes or so of exercise and then they settle down.

I used to see it a lot with my garmin straps, to a lesser extent with suunto straps and my cycleops strp see it the least.

wahoo supposedly rewrote the firmware of their hr straps to eliminate this. Wahoo also has a sale on their ant+ hard straps right now for $35.

Or you can just keep gong and realize that crazy hr readings in the first 15 minutes are your hrm acting up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The likelihood of your heart being that crazy is not good. The chances of the monitor being that crazy, very good.

At races and if you start out too hard, you might see a small spike at the beginning. but don't worry too much. As was mentioned before, interference, or other pairing issues could be the culprit.

My suggestion is to just start all training runs easy for a few minutes and don't look at the monitor. Once you get going you can start to check things out.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am using the TomTom HR strap with the TomTom Multisport watch.

As far as a "new" runner that is something I should have said differently. I am a runner who has been running for about 3 years and usually try to hit 12 miles a week. My normal "slow" pace is 9:45 per mile and my faster pace(for me) is around 8 to 8:30 per mile. My breathing in my fast pace is steady and do not really feel out of breath but I can tell my muscles do not seem strong enough to push me faster.

I have only been using the Heart rate strap since January of this year so I can not compare previous years data. My goals are to be able to run a 5K at a 7:30 pace and a halfmarathon at a 9min pace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I never saw the word "race", "tempo" etc.... or anything to indicate that you did anything other than a normal training run.

IF a race... then you need to run more. You HR should probably be higher, but you may lack the overall fitness to push yourself to you limit. But I'm just guessing here, as I don't have any data on Max HR, threshold HR or any type of baseline.

You mileage is pretty minimal. IF you have the time to run more, then Do a search on "BarryP" on here. I've never heard of someone saying they didn't improve by following a 6 day/week running strategy... or simply put, from running more, but very little of it fast. If you take the "leap of faith" that you don't need to run fast to see the largest improvement to getting faster.... then you might be amazed at the results.

For myself, I went from about a 1:32 1/2 mary (never ran one, but my estimate based on my Olympic tri pace at the time) running about 15mpw 8-10 years ago, to running a 1:17 this last spring on around 35-50mpw.... despite getting older. Again, running more, and overall, doing even less absolute speed work.

Along the way I also found I enjoyed running a LOT more. 10 miles used to be a long harder run for me in training. Now it's a nice medium distance run I can do a couple times a week.... maybe one of them with some tempo in it...which is also fun.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HR is such an individual thing. I have been experimenting with HR over the last several months, trying to zero in on my "zones" based on feel i.e. running at an easy conversational pace while simply tracking my HR without constantly looking at it throughout the run. After weeks of doing this, you will start to get a feel for what an appropriate pace and HR is for these runs, and you can shoot for this during subsequent runs to keep from overdoing it. I have found that in general my HR runs on the high side for a given "zone" or effort. I think this is partly due to the fact that my weekly mileage is low (similar to the OPs), but also probably just due to my particular physiology. Now, I find that under normal circumstances (not sick or overtired, etc.) I can pretty much tell based on how I feel when my HR is jumping up above where I want it to be for my easy runs, without even looking at my watch. Makes me question the benefit of even having the watch now!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't mean to get snippy. I just don't think it's rocket science, as evidenced by the success people find with the BarryP running approach. Just run a lot and keep most of it slow. That's all I was trying to say.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to throw something else out there....I used to rollerski a set really nice loop near my house. Every time I went past an electrical transformer on the side of the road the HR on my watch would go up to 220. As soon as I got past it, it would go back down to what it really was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few things about heart rate chest straps that all seem to be mentioned already, but here in one place:

* low battery power; the high to very-high measurements at any point during the workout

* dry electrode straps; correct at first, but then high as movement causes bad contact. measurements settle down as you sweat

* clothing interference; external "tapping" on the sensor can create false measurements

Advice for the chest strap HRM..

* keep the strap and it's metal studs rinsed after every workout

* change the battery. replacements are cheap, and some only need a small phillips head screwdriver to get it done

* use saliva to wet the electrodes, or electrode gel, or KY

* keep the strap comfortably tight. if it's too loose, the dry/poor contact problem is made worse by the strap moving (even very small amounts)

* wear better fitting shirts :) or at least something between a front zipper and the sensor to prevent tapping

Advice for the wearer..

* relax! (your face, neck, shoulders, arms, hands)

I find that after my mind has been wandering for a while, and my heart rate is higher than expected, it's because I've started tensing up.
Quote Reply