Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Heart Rate Strap for Garmin 305
Quote | Reply
Once again I am having to replace my heartrate strap for my Garmin 305. These chest straps are lasting about 1.5 years before they quit working. Replacing batteries and getting the 305 to rescan it does not help. I am wondering is there a better heartrate strap out there which will last longer than 1.5 years? Or is there an alternative than the standard heartrate strap which Garmin sells which may be cheaper than the Garmin price?
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate Strap for Garmin 305 [hazben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can use the soft polar belts. The press studs are the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are all kinds of cheap Chinese ones on Ebay, for a little under $10. I've been using them for the past year and they seem to last a long time...longer than the OEM Garmin ones.

I consider the straps to be disposable assets. I gave up on the factory ones after 4 of them barely lasted 3 months each. Buy 6 for the cost of one Garmin strap, and toss them when they start to malfunction.

Price fluctuates, but here's the cheapest one at the moment:

http://www.ebay.com/...?hash=item51d086938c
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate Strap for Garmin 305 [dpd3672] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dpd3672 wrote:
There are all kinds of cheap Chinese ones on Ebay, for a little under $10. I've been using them for the past year and they seem to last a long time...longer than the OEM Garmin ones.

I consider the straps to be disposable assets. I gave up on the factory ones after 4 of them barely lasted 3 months each. Buy 6 for the cost of one Garmin strap, and toss them when they start to malfunction.

Price fluctuates, but here's the cheapest one at the moment:http://www.ebay.com/...?hash=item51d086938c[/quote[/url]]

Thanks, for the info and the link. I am not setup with PayPal to order and also would like to order from US company so I can receive it sooner. Do you know if there is a US company selling these straps?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow what do you guys do to your straps. I have an OLD hard plastic Garmin strap for at least 8yrs, might be over 12yrs. The only thing I've replaced it the elastic part every couple of years.

I don't swim with it for training, it's never been in the pool but I do use it in races. I always ride and run with it. One thing I did years ago was put a piece of duct tape over the battery area just to make it water proof. I always rinse it with water post training/racing.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Aug 31, 15 8:23
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate Strap for Garmin 305 [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I've had my hard strap for almost seven years and have only replaced the elastic part. I've had almost no problems with heart rate spikes, dropouts, etc. either.
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate Strap for Garmin 305 [llewis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never had it in water but I sweat a bunch and I never rinsed the sensor after exercising. I also typically use it at least 6 days a week never less than an hour and many times 2-3 hours. The other thing I do which may be shortening its' lifespan is once I finish exercising I just leave it in the bed of the truck. Maybe all these factors are leading to its' early demise?
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate Strap for Garmin 305 [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longboarder wrote:
Wow what do you guys do to your straps. I have an OLD hard plastic Garmin strap for at least 8yrs, might be over 12yrs. The only thing I've replaced it the elastic part every couple of years.

I had a hard strap die two weeks ago, it was about 8 years old. I lost the others, so I went looking and I had a hard time finding a new hard strap, they are all soft straps. Went with a wahoo tickr, we'll see how it goes.
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate Strap for Garmin 305 [dpd3672] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I buy them 10 at a time, because I keep 5 HR straps for my CompuTrainer studio. At $4.88 apiece, it's cheap....

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6849540677.html?orderId=68742169643973
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate Strap for Garmin 305 [cougie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are going to use the Polar soft strap for the Garmin transmitter, you will have to trim off the plastic lips that project above the snap sockets on the belt. The Garmin design requires a flush socket to snap into. This is what it looks like after trimming http://wiggle.ugc.bazaarvoice.com/..._gb/193470/photo.jpg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The old school hard strap is the way to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate Strap for Garmin 305 [Lederman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bought one of the soft straps with the metal clips from Amazon. I never could get it to pair with my Garmin 305. Surely you aren't putting the metal clips against the chest. Not sure if it is a bad strap or it is just not compatible. Any other suggestions on HR straps?
Quote Reply