Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hearing Aids when training and racing
Quote | Reply
I am now using hearing aids and they make a big difference in daily life. As I live in the north east (USA) and it was a lovely -9 this morning, I have had just a few runs and rides outside using the hearing aids so far and my experience has been positive even though I had to wear a cap that covered my ears. As my left ear is worse than my right and I really need to hear what is going to pass me, (old and slow) so I view wearing hearing aids as a safety issue.
What should I expect and or demand for my aids when training?
Is wind noise an issue?
Do people wear them racing?
Water and hearing aids do not mix well. Any thoughts on how to protect them from sweat? Mine are rated to resist water but I wonder what is real world as my audiologist does not have anyone using them as I will, so she was not able to give me any feed back.
Thanks
Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: Hearing Aids when training and racing [ztjw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need to purchase a dry aid kit(s) as moisture will "muff" the sound. It is best to have multiple dry aid kits and carry them in your workout bag-the automobile-work and at home. You can purchase electronic versions of this for use at home. Sorry to say, but moisture is going to be a constant issue. Wind noise is decreased compared to what one experienced ten years ago. You also need to carry the "tools" to clean your hearing instrument and these can be found on e-Bay if not at your dealer for $10 and under. Remember to never leave home without carrying spare batteries. Yes, wear them while racing but not swimming.

Quote Reply
Re: Hearing Aids when training and racing [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip on the dry aid kits. I will get some. Have you ever tried ear guards? http://www.gearforears.com/ They are a sock that goes over the hearing aids and is supposed to protect them from moisture.
As for batteries I have already learned that they do not last as long as advertised and will be carrying them with me.
I assume T1 is now going to be have to include towel dry my head so i can out in my hearing aids. Do you do anything different?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never used earguards and don't see how they would work with ITE. T1 doesn't have to be a "complete head dry". A quick tilt to one side and shake may be all you need to clear moisture from the ear canal. One can press in a small towel (q-tip?) in an attempt for a quick dry. Carry a spare battery somewhere on the bike. You may want to experience in training if you can tolerate wearing only one helping instrument to make life simpler. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently started wearing the BTE hearing aids as well. My question is about biking, and the real estate available on the ear for hearing aids, sunglasses, and that little plastic bit of the helmet that runs in the same section. Any particular biking sunglasses that work well with BTE hearing aids?

BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Re: Hearing Aids when training and racing [brokenspoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brokenspoke wrote:
I recently started wearing the BTE hearing aids as well. My question is about biking, and the real estate available on the ear for hearing aids, sunglasses, and that little plastic bit of the helmet that runs in the same section. Any particular biking sunglasses that work well with BTE hearing aids?

BrokenSpoke

Have you worn your bike helmet with the BTE and not experienced that famous noisy feedback "Squeal?"
Quote Reply
Re: Hearing Aids when training and racing [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have biked with them and not experienced any feed back. As for "real estate" I use it all. I wear a cap over my head under my helmet, have glasses and wear sunglasses over my glasses. Yup a ton of stuff on my head!
I have done 4 rides so far with them with no issues other than hearing a lot more. Hope to ride more but it is still not riding weather here in the northeast.
There is a company called cat ears http://www.cat-ears.com/ that make a cover that goes over hearing aids to cut down on wind noise. They are $10 i think, might try them.
Want to know more about the famous feedback "squeal" Have I been lucky so far because I have a cap on?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The modern design of these instruments cuts down on the feedback that is heard as a squeal. But if you have something tight or close over this instrument, you increase the chance of having squeals. Sometimes, the angle of the wind will induce "noise". Keep in mind we generate heat and moisture during activity/exercise and moisture is going to cause a variety issues including "muffing" of sound. Don't have any experience with the product you showed. I do wear a winter hat while skiing and if I run outdoors during the colder months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did anyone buy hearing aids specially for training and racing? Or do you use the same devices? I wonder whether there is a type of hearing aids that is the most comfortable for activities.
Quote Reply
Re: Hearing Aids when training and racing [BessYa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use my Phonak Audeo Life Lumity and use them for training all the time. No complaints
Got them last year from the hearing aid store with the good discount.
I guess you heard about OTC hearing aids, maybe there is a point for you to try those on?
Last edited by: MitchMcCrown: May 30, 23 23:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear them here and there. I hear okay and my need was caused by getting hit by a car almost seven years ago. She rang my bell which is still ringing. Tinnitus in both ears. I usually wear them part of the day. Never on the bike and per my audiologist, never on my Harley which cranks out up to 117 decibels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also have Phonak Audeo hearing aids- Life Model.
Waterproof and rechargable. The waterproofing is a must for training and racing. I have tried them out in the shower, and they were fine. Haven't tried in a pool or salt water. I wouldn't do salt water just due to the corrosive nature of it. When racing, I leave em in a case in my helmet. Takes a few second to stick em in. I won't turn em on until after t1.

The streaming audio directly in the ear is nice. My Garmin's will read prompts and lap times in my ear, which is pretty cool. I haven't tried them with maps/ courses yet, so I don't know if they do that or not. Wind noise reduction is nice, but it also reduces the amount of sound coming in overall, which also kinda sucks. Especially if trying to chat or communicate on group rides.
Last edited by: triguy98: May 28, 23 11:38
Quote Reply