Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Heading to Chennai India for three months....
Quote | Reply
Work is sending me there for three months (Feb - April) , I have Alcatraz in June and some other local stuff when I get back

Can someone recommend some swimming, running and cycling spots......if any

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Heading to Chennai India for three months.... [alcam24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My daughter recently spent some time in Chennai as part of a study abroad program.

Sorry I can't answer your question, but I can warn you to be prepared for a very unhealthy overall environment. From her descriptions, it sounds like running or biking anywhere outdoors is not really a possibility. Because the traffic is absolutely crazy and the air and streets are very polluted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Chennai Runners- I did this as my bride will be going on business there soon - looks live a vibrant club. Hope this helps

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: Heading to Chennai India for three months.... [Dreamer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not been to Chennai in over 3 decades. Having said that, Indian cities in this day and age are basically impossible to ride in. Bring your trainer. In terms of running it depends on where you are in most Indian cities, but unless you get out really early, there are just too many people on the streets. You can't run without dodging a zillion people. It is basically impossible in some locations to even keep up a walking pace. I'm talking about 2 people per square meter density.

Ideally you can find a cricket ground and get used to running intervals on there or treadmill. In some cases I have found quiet side streets that are uninterrupted for 100-400m and just used that section for back and forth internvals (used this approach in China and Taiwan too when in dense city locations....you gotta work with what you have). No idea about swimming, but you are close to the Bay of Bengal depending on where you are so you may be able to swim at the beach.

There should be miles of beaches like this:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might add that there is a lot of interesting hiking and potential riding in the Niligiri Hills south west of Chennai that get as high as 7000 ft +. Might be a good getaway destination on weekends to go to some cooler climate as Chennai will be oppressive in terms of humidity

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Suggest you do more in-depth research on each of these entries, but this will get you started plus you can connect with some other athletes:
http://www.quora.com/What-are-some-Swimming-pools-in-Chennai-which-are-ope-to-public
Also, Swimmers Guide has some information about pools.
Here are some other resources I found:
http://www.chennairunners.com/
http://www.chennaitrekkers.org/ which put on a triathlon in July 2014.
and for cycling: http://tamilnaducyclingclub.org/
Sounds like a great adventure, can you keep us posted on your activities there?
Best,
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: Heading to Chennai India for three months.... [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've spent a lot of time in Chennai and other areas of Tamil Nadu on business in recent years. I have never been on a road that I would consider riding on. From what I have seen and experienced, it would be extremely unsafe. I have taken my bike with me to train in many places, but India is a no fly zone for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dirtbagged around the area some years back. Same as above posters, biking could be rather dangerous. I ran in many cities and towns in India, but did so early. Usually up at 4 am, run for an hour, beat the traffic. Stray dogs could be scary.
I've had good luck connecting with hash house harriers in other countries.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No experience with Chennai, but I spent about a month in Bangalore in 2012. Running was fine there if I went out early. 6:00-7:00 AM, traffic was easily manageable. I did see a number of westerners out riding MTB's in that same time slot.

My local colleagues flipped out when they found out I was out running unsupervised, but since none could get moving that early they were unable to stop me or ride behind me on a motorbike.

Be really careful the first week if you hail from a country where you drive on the right. You tend to look the wrong way when you step off a curb.

Cheers, Alan
Quote Reply
Re: Heading to Chennai India for three months.... [AEllswrt93] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

There's more than one way to get a workout!

I took this picture outside of Bangalore.
I was there for three weeks.
Cycling as a sport on the roads pretty much doesn't exist.

Last edited by: android: Oct 23, 14 19:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you look hard enough, you will find endurance junkies in southern India...especially runners. I'll try to dig up something for you.

Meanwhile, check out the Tour of Nilgiris (Dec 16 - 23). A few friends of mine came up with this idea of a tour a few years ago and now it has become a very good tour,with lot of sightseeing, and culture-absorbing opportunities...along with timed race segments in between.

Tour of Nilgiris

Duathlete by choice?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Worked in various parts of india for awhile. India is not a good place to bike- forget about it. traffic is crazy, unpredictable, and for the most part dangerous. Roads are also in bad condition. I did happen to see a road biker in mumbai- but that was only 1. running is a mixed bag- if you live near parks or beaches it can be done, but on the streets is kinda hard because its usually crowded, dusty, dirty, and generally difficult to get a good workout in.

Your best bet is the gym. there are lots of gyms in india, Gold's gym is pretty big all over. best part is endurance sport is in general not an indian activity, so no one uses the treadmills or stationary bikes for any significant period of time. When I was working there I'd pop over to the gym almost every night for 2 hours and alternated on the treadmill and on the bike. I'd crank out 10km runs on the treadmill and do 1 hour interval sessions on the bike followed by some strength training. pretty much soon all the trainers and gym go-ers thought I was crazy for spending so much time on the treadmill.

do watch what you eat and drink. it's generally safe if you eat stuff that's hot and if locals patronise the stall, but I'd avoid stuff like pani puri (popular roadside snack which can be pretty unsanitary) . Do eat the mangoes though. the mangos are dirt cheap ( you can get excellenet quality magoes at less than a dollar for a kilo) and oh so good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Few years ago I did a tour of South India and tried to train there. In Chennai I found it impossible. If I had to go back I would try to train indoors.

Little stories on training in India: one early morning I left for a run and found a nice little track between fields, away from traffic and pollution. At some point a bunch of emaciated dogs looked at me from a distance and as a pack started to run across the fields toward me. I did a nice fartleg session to the nearest road ;).
The day after I decided to stick to the roads. Wearing only short and shoes I was running on the side of the road when a guys on his bicycle carrying two enormous jars of water decided to stick with me. I guess he saw me as a potential client, foreigner and sweating. Unfortunately for him I didn't have any money with me. I tried to explain, but I carried on with me for roughly 10 km.

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply