Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Headed for thumb surgery...
Quote | Reply
So bummed about no training for a few weeks.
At least want to run a little
Not sure what th e surgeon is going to allow me to do
Quote Reply
Re: Headed for thumb surgery... [appledoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are you getting done?
Quote Reply
Re: Headed for thumb surgery... [kjanracing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ulnar collateral ligament repair with a screw. Might reattach the piece of avulsed bone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had the same surgery done last year. Recovery will be dependent on the severity of the tear. Mine was a full tear so I was no movement for 6-8 weeks I believe. As soon as I got my brace off I was able to start physical therapy for a few weeks, then I was good to go. Now I can do full lifting etc. just have trouble holding heavy objects like a would a solo cup (palm to the side), similar to the issues you probably have now with the injury.

Don't remember any running restrictions, just have to keep it immobilized for the 6-8 weeks which sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Headed for thumb surgery... [bogus130] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. As long as I can run I will be happy enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck with the surgery. I would ask about recumbent biking, that doesn't require hands/arms. You might also be able to lift weights - hamstring press, body weight squats, etc. --- but check with your doctor as you probably will have to wait at least a few days after the surgery.

Keep us updated.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Jul 27, 14 19:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
appledoc wrote:
Not sure what the surgeon is going to allow me to do

They prescribe spanking the monkey as physical therapy
Quote Reply
Re: Headed for thumb surgery... [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:
appledoc wrote:
Not sure what the surgeon is going to allow me to do

They prescribe spanking the monkey as physical therapy
Depending on which hand it can be like off side breathing on a swim. Some never really get used to it. Bi lateral spanking might even out the stroke-ing.
Quote Reply
Re: Headed for thumb surgery... [kjanracing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had same done 3 years ago. Large pin put through entire thumb for 8 weeks.
No therapy until it came out. No running or riding during that time either.
Could ride a trainer during that time.
After pin came out, some ~8-10 weeks of PT. Lots of very specific ROM, strength and motion.
Now I am at about 90% strength and range of motion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a complete tear in 2008 of my right thumb in a mountain bike crash. The surgeon went into my wrist for a piece of ligament and I have 5 graphs in thumb. Physical therapy was about 6 weeks to regain range of motion after 6 weeks in a splint. Had this little device with a thumb screw with fishing line and a little sling to keep stretching my thumb to regain range of motion. I regained all range but was a painful process. The thumb was very painfully sensitive when riding on the drops and hoods of my road bike after I was green lighted to return to riding. It did go away after a month or so. Considering the pain I went thru pre surgery it was well worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got medically cleared from this same surgery last week.

My doctor had me wait 10 weeks until I could do strength exercises. I was doing flexibility, and scar tissue massage (PT) at wk 5 or so.

I stayed running and biking, but no swimming (because it wasnt as important to me) as soon as the wound was closed in order to avoid infection from sweat, etc. It was a compromise though. I only biked on the trainer or ran on the mill. To me, the risk of falling due to something out of my control and landing on my thumb was not worth it. The trainer is nearly impossible to be hurt on and the treadmill was a risk I would take. I always wore my split just in case.

I am back to using my hand like normal, but my grip strength is still a little low. I am back lifting weights as well and some barbell grips are discomforting due to lack of tissue build up(padding)

Be smart, and you wont lose much in your fitness
Quote Reply
Re: Headed for thumb surgery... [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wound up needing two pins that will come out in about 4 to 6 weeks
Pretty sore. See the surgeon Thursday to find out the rules of recovery
Hope to get back training soon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coasted today. Ortho says no running as it may displace the pins. Trainer is ok. Not thrilled
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
appledoc wrote:
Ulnar collateral ligament repair with a screw. Might reattach the piece of avulsed bone

listen to doc - right before I got into tris had this - first it was just a repair - failed.
then they did the screw - failed
then screw backed out, bone graft from wrist - success

I was this surgeon's only failure of fusion EVER in his whole career (I am a doc and have referred to him many times)

so I needed 3 surgeries and a year in a cast

once pins were out could run
Quote Reply
Re: Headed for thumb surgery... [meuf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. All looked aligned well on X-ray today so best not to chance it. Time for a little rest I guess.
Quote Reply