Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hawaii Ironman - When did male pro's first get their own start ?
Quote | Reply
I'm doing an investigation of past results of IM Hawaii at the moment and was wondering if anyone knew when Male pro's first got their own start (separate to age groupers). Any ideas ?
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii Ironman - When did male pro's first get their own start ? [UK Gearmuncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely sure it was either 2004 or 2005. If I had to guess, I would say 2005.
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii Ironman - When did male pro's first get their own start ? [brentl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To clarify, that was a combined mens and womens pro start. Separating the men and women is a more recent phenomenon - in the last few years.
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii Ironman - When did male pro's first get their own start ? [UK Gearmuncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, the male pros got their entirely separate start, away from both female pros and age groupers, in 2012. They started at 6:30, female pros at 6:35, and age groupers at 7:00.

I believe 2006 was the first year that pros as a whole and age groupers were separated. Female/male pros still together in 2006. Can anyone confirm this?
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii Ironman - When did male pro's first get their own start ? [brentl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brentl wrote:
Absolutely sure it was either 2004 or 2005. If I had to guess, I would say 2005.

You're right. I re-watched the YouTube videos over again. 2005 was the first separated start.
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii Ironman - When did male pro's first get their own start ? [C_Hassard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was that the 1st separated by time? Or separated by distance? For a couple of years the pro starting line was moved further out to give them a clean start, but at the same time. Then, men and women pros started at an earlier time. Then, they separated men and women pros . . . and then to the present 4 waves.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii Ironman - When did male pro's first get their own start ? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I couldn't tell ya there. I didn't realize that they also moved the distance as well. I heard "the pros got a head start..." in the 2005 Ironman WC broadcast, but they didn't actually show the start so I'm not sure how they did it.
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii Ironman - When did male pro's first get their own start ? [C_Hassard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am almost positive that in 2005 the separate start was 25 meters (50 maybe) in front of the mass, but at the same time. I don't recall for sure . . . well yes I do - in 2006 I am sure that the pros started in front of us but at the same time. Not sure what the OP is looking for (or if he knows).

David
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In 2003 it was a mass start for all, in 2004 they separated male and female pros from AG by 15 minutes.

(edit IIRC there was a small gap in the 2003 pro field, i.e. separate area but it was still a mass start for all)

Maurice
Last edited by: mauricemaher: Jan 27, 15 8:09
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii Ironman - When did male pro's first get their own start ? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
Was that the 1st separated by time? Or separated by distance? For a couple of years the pro starting line was moved further out to give them a clean start, but at the same time. Then, men and women pros started at an earlier time. Then, they separated men and women pros . . . and then to the present 4 waves.

(edited to specify year)

In 2005 it was separated by time. I was on the Ironmanlive boat that year (I had media credentials and they had a spot on the boat) - we followed the pros for a while and then turned around quickly for the cameras to get the AG start. I don't remember the exact separation - maybe 15 min....

Ian
Last edited by: sneeuwaap: Jan 27, 15 8:39
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii Ironman - When did male pro's first get their own start ? [sneeuwaap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clearly my memory is not good. I just pulled up my 2006 Athlete's Guide - the M & F pros started at 6:45. And, I now remember that they were ahead of the post-earthquake reverse current that hit the age groupers.

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
david wrote:

I believe as far back as 1997 (or earlier) the pro's got a 10-15 yard buffer from the age groupers.

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wanted to assess the splits of the athletes over the last 30 odd years but I only want to include athletes that were technically in the same wave as such otherwise it's apples and oranges. I would say I'd just look at male pro splits only but of course, it won't have always had a pro entrant in the early days.......
Last edited by: UK Gearmuncher: Jan 27, 15 11:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if there are permanent anchor locations for the turn buoys? Or do they just use GPS to place them each year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The timing (not time of day) should still be apples to apples.

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
The timing (not time of day) should still be apples to apples.

I'm interested in seeing the impact of groups at the end of the swim and bike legs so it is important who I include or discount based upon start times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apples & what?

^__^

ETA: Paging Monty in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

Last edited by: Jamaican: Jan 27, 15 11:26
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii Ironman - When did male pro's first get their own start ? [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, knackered from training clearly !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2003 was a bit of a shit show as it was a mass start (pros with maybe a 20-30m head start) but the pros were riding with the stagger rule and age groupers followed traditional rules. Obviously didn't affect a whole lot of people, but it was a factor.

So I think we can confirm that 2005 was the first year with the separate pro start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brentl wrote:
2003 was a bit of a shit show as it was a mass start (pros with maybe a 20-30m head start) but the pros were riding with the stagger rule and age groupers followed traditional rules. Obviously didn't affect a whole lot of people, but it was a factor.

So I think we can confirm that 2005 was the first year with the separate pro start.

2004, I would agree that the stagger rule was pretty stupid when combining with AG's….2003-2004 had the stagger rule IIRC across the board for pro athletes until Kona when old rules were observed. I had to race staggered at IMCDA

The separation on swim start timing happened at the 2004 race. (the split between men/women pro happened in 2012, the AG split happened in 2014)

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sportstats has scored Kona since 2004, I had to go back in the software we use:
  • 2004-2009: Pro Men & Women started together 15 minutes before Age Groups
  • 2010-2011: Pro Men & Women started together 30 minutes before Age Groups
  • 2012-2013: Pro Men 6:30am, Pro Women 6:35 am, Age Groups: 7:00am
  • 2014: Pro Men 6:25am, Pro Women 6:30am, Age Group Men: 6:50am, Age Group Women: 7:00am

For your info a lot of data analysis was done on swim exit volume, how age group men affected the pro women over the last 2 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii Ironman - When did male pro's first get their own start ? [sportstats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have a website or link for any former analysis so I can cite it accordingly ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The numbers above are correct, 2004 was the first time Pro and Age group were split.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at the results, the times from 1998-2001 seem to have their transition splits seperated.(http://www.trifind.com/...ronmanTriathlon.html)

Does anyone know how the transitions are typically added on these days ? (added to bike split or run split or only accounted for in the overall time ?)
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii Ironman - When did male pro's first get their own start ? [tjfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not much of a buffer. No wonder they split them. A strong AG swimmer would close that gap in 100-200m

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply