Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Have you ever 'Qualified for Kona' without...
Quote | Reply
Getting routine massages?
Not only Kona, but say for example a big race like Boston.

Obviously massages are very legit, but any other bullshit protocols you were following and realized they were complete bullshit i.e. crossfit? :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever 'Qualified for Kona' without... [ErickBar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't KQ'd, but have been close (7 seconds once), and I felt that the one time I did get a massage before a big race it hurt my performance. My coach at the time was big into massage and wanted me to do it - haven't gotten once since and set two 70.3 PR's last season.

I feel that getting good sleep and active recovery work fine for me, and they're cheaper too!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never got one when I qualified, or prior to that or since.

I do have a cat though, and occasionally when the stars aligned he would knead my quads for me while watching tv. I could never get him to do the other leg though and balance it out....

Stupid cats.

Cheers,

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ErickBar wrote:

Obviously massages are very legit, but any other bullshit protocols you were following and realized they were complete bullshit i.e. crossfit? :-)

I can pretty easily qualify for Boston and never have gotten a massage let alone routinely. Although I'd imagine it would be nice to get them :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Qualified for and ran Boston. Never in my life have I gotten a massage. Admittedly I do have a set of compression recovery boots and while they sure feel good after a hard effort, I can't say if they truly helped me recover faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ErickBar wrote:

I get maybe two a year. I've got one next Monday with IMCanada the following Sunday. Will possibly get one after as well. But just some rolling for a day to day treatment.

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've qualified for Boston and am trying for Kona this year, and have never had a massage. I have a pair of recovery boots I'll wear occasionally though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I qualified twice for Boston, which I guess is pretty impressive for a former swimmer who is top-heavy, carries a few extra pounds on the waist, and has chicken legs. I never got a massage before or after training or races, though I did eat 2 Polish sausages after my first BQ in Chicago, 2005. I was so hungry and the Polish were so good, that I nearly burned my mouth on the first one. I washed those down with some nice beer (not the Mich Ultra pisswater they served at the finish).

I did have a massage once right before a swim race in college. I didn't know I was on the final relay in this December Classic meet, so I went to the table for a massage (and to have Karen, the trainer, put her hands all over me). The coaches came and got me right before the race went off, and I had time to get my suit on. I was completely relaxed, not feeling like I wanted to get cold and wet again, but, off I went on the anchor leg of the 4 x 100 FrR. For not giving a shIt about that race, I ended up with my best split ever, and the best split on my team that day. Not bad for a distance swimmer.

Karen was not around after the meet to give me another massage. :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I qualified a few times for Boston and was getting regular massages then, I felt it helped with recovery (I was also doing bikram yoga then). I do realize that it's one of those things that may not work for everyone nor may be necessary in order to qualify, but I felt that it was helpful in my case.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...t_regroups_4786.html

Unfortunately It didn't work out for her right before a race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ErickBar wrote:

KQ'd a bunch of times and have never gotten a routine massage.

No crossfit either :)

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know way more people who've qualified for both/either without getting regular massages than people who have, but maybe I just don't hang out in a ritzy enough crowd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Massages aren't necessarily shown to improve performance. Especially following races, massages actually increase muscle fiber breakdown and slow the healing process.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever 'Qualified for Kona' without... [alittleslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alittleslow wrote:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/Interview/Melissa_Hauschildt_regroups_4786.html

Unfortunately It didn't work out for her right before a race.

Stories like this are why I have never gotten a massage. I mean, why tempt fate???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have KQ and never had a massage or use recovery boots. As for Boston you can just qualify at Kona so you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, never gotten a sports massage and I've qualified for Kona. It's not necessary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ErickBar wrote:

KQ as a age-grouper and professional without message. BQ as well. In fact I BQ without ever running faster than 7:30 per mile in training in the lead up.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe that's why I didn't qualify when I did IM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Multiple KQ and BQ in my 30s and very early 40s without regular massage. I have received regular massages, however, since my mid 40s and am scared to stop at 58.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jul 18, 17 11:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not qualified for Kona as I haven't done any IM branded full. I have done just one IM branded 70.3, but am doing my second one in September.

Anyway, I have never been big into massages. However, after the last race, my calves hurt badly, really badly. For the last three miles, I was on the verge of cramping up. After the race, I got a massage that focused on my calves and it made a huge difference in my recovery

So on very limited experience, I see a lot of value in getting a massage to help get lactic acid out of your muscles after hard effort, but I can't imagine how a massage makes any good or bad difference before a race.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to get weekly massages during my first IM build. Sport massages are so rough that sometimes I felt like I needed an extra day to recover from getting one. I don't do them anymore. Still injury free... I would be interested more in air boots or e-stim to help with recovery.

ErickBar wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever 'Qualified for Kona' without... [thechromedome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thechromedome wrote:
Never got one when I qualified, or prior to that or since.

I do have a cat though, and occasionally when the stars aligned he would knead my quads for me while watching tv. I could never get him to do the other leg though and balance it out....

Stupid cats.

Cheers,

literally laughed out loud at this. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ErickBar wrote:

I think only you can answer that. Does your body tell you that you need them? I have qualified three times and through the heavily loaded periods I generally get one a week my body goes through phases where it feels loose and doesn't require them and I don't bother. I think it is a bit of a nice to have and may help prevent injury rather than a huge gain in performance. That being said I switched to Hokas between Konas I'd raced and get nowhere near the running soreness I did and feel I require less massage so can be a lot of factors you can change and to be considered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I am doing a serious build (like for a marathon), I probably go for a massage at least once a month. Certainly helps with recovery and staying healthy when you are training a lot.
My most recent BQ -20 minutes included about 4 massages along the way.
Quote Reply

Prev Next