Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Has anyone tested a 1x11 single front ring @ wind tunnel or alphamantis?
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tested a single front ring with ERO, alphamantis, or in a tunnel? I know about the claim from cervelo, and acknowledge there a lot of other things that can vary from tester to tester ... But given the spike in interest over the last year, I hoped someone has given this a few runs in a test setting.
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone tested a 1x11 single front ring @ wind tunnel or alphamantis? [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, tested at A2, removing the FD had no measurable difference at 0 yaw. But

Quote:
At -7.5°, no FD resulted in exactly 2 watts less. Bike only, NP3, 30MPh, A2 tunnel, April 1st 2015.

Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone tested a 1x11 single front ring @ wind tunnel or alphamantis? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised that there was no difference at 0deg yaw
I could understand no gain when the wind was coming from the non drive side, but from head on you are removing a pretty un-aero shape from the wind's path.

It just goes to show that the eyeball is a poor wind tunnel.
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone tested a 1x11 single front ring @ wind tunnel or alphamantis? [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Somewhere I read (maybe Cervelo) the FD was a big anchor causing as much drag as the whole downtube? Hopefully someone with a better memory will clarify the facts.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Last edited by: rockdude: Oct 4, 15 4:36
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone tested a 1x11 single front ring @ wind tunnel or alphamantis? [rockdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a correct statement (that's what Cervelo said iirc) but the trick is that the downtube contributes less drag than you'd think to the whole system

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dave, I would say that the real advantage to a 1X system is that it's so much simpler and more convenient. Our team has been riding Sram 1X all year and love it. The fact that it is slightly lighter, and might be slightly faster, is icing on the cake! But yeah I'm sure Rapp would agree that convenience and functional simplicity are by far and the best aspects
Quote Reply