Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Has anyone every experienced prolonged swelling
Quote | Reply
I’m curious if any of you fellow triathletes have dealt with prolonged swelling? Started 2 months ago and has persisted since... I’m still searching for root cause and any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Swelling is mostly in the lower legs and feet, weight gain is 20 lbs. Both doctors agree it’s edema. Aside from the swelling, I feel normal. I started with my primary physician who ran several blood and urine tests over the course of a couple weeks. Nothing abnormal. I then went to see a nephrologist who ran a 24 hour urine collection and another blood panel. Urine was negative for blood and protein, blood panel also looked good. Nephrologist then suggested a CT scan to check for abnormalities or blockages in my pelvic and abdominal region - all looked good. At this point both physicians don’t feel anything significant is wrong, and they are showing no sign of urgency as to next steps, which is driving me crazy! Has anyone ever dealt with this?
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone every experienced prolonged swelling [stickney_pete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a boatload of heart related conditions that will cause edema - and some are mostly benign. They just go with the condition. I recommend asking your physician for a cardiologist reference.
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone every experienced prolonged swelling [stickney_pete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stickney_pete wrote:
I’m curious if any of you fellow triathletes have dealt with prolonged swelling? Started 2 months ago and has persisted since... I’m still searching for root cause and any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Swelling is mostly in the lower legs and feet, weight gain is 20 lbs. Both doctors agree it’s edema. Aside from the swelling, I feel normal. I started with my primary physician who ran several blood and urine tests over the course of a couple weeks. Nothing abnormal. I then went to see a nephrologist who ran a 24 hour urine collection and another blood panel. Urine was negative for blood and protein, blood panel also looked good. Nephrologist then suggested a CT scan to check for abnormalities or blockages in my pelvic and abdominal region - all looked good. At this point both physicians don’t feel anything significant is wrong, and they are showing no sign of urgency as to next steps, which is driving me crazy! Has anyone ever dealt with this?

x2 in looking at a cardiologist as a next step. Swelling to some extent is normal in all of us depending on our lifestyle (ie. anyone driving for say 16 hours straight better see some swelling in their legs). Have you looked at salt intake at all and worked toward reducing it and seeing what happens? That would really be my first step as you to wait to get into seeing a cardiologist. The reason boots like Normatec came on the scene is to flush a lot of that out. Obviously treating the root cause is key, as athletes we get swelling due to activity. Normatec has a medical device division and Air Relax is a medical device by design to treat edema.

20 lbs of fluid doesn't seem like much of a joke to me. I would be curious why the doctors aren't treating it with more regard.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't posted on the main board in a long time. Check this out http://www.athletesheart.org/
Good luck

Lifeguard: "Do you need help?" Me: "No, that's just my butterfly."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your physicians can't figure out what is wrong, find new physicians. It is completely abnormal to gain 20# of fluid that collects in your lower extremities and does not resolve. Cardiologist, nephrologist, different GP, check out your lymphatic system... see someone. Do not force the fluid back into your system as it can create more problems if a reason is not identified. Please find some physicians with a good diagnosis.
Quote Reply