Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Haribo as Nutrition
Quote | Reply
So my kids were spending some of their tooth fairy money and I was in the candy aisle with them. Always wanted to try Haribo Cola so finally bought some and thought "why I am not using this stuff as nutrition" Cheap and delicious. Plus if I get bored of the cola I can mix it up with peaches or the worms or berries.... what say you?
Last edited by: TravelingTri: Sep 22, 17 7:41
Quote Reply
Re: Haribo as Nutrition [TravelingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've tried it and wasn't that enthused to be honest.
  1. They're pretty hard to get down; they might seem squidgy and soft but in my experience they still take quite a bit of chewing.
  2. The flavouring is very artifical and makes me feel quite sick after a while.
  3. The sticky, gummy gelatine texture is pretty nasty after a while as well.
  4. Finally, even though they're packed with sugar, I'm not sure how quickly the gelatin is digested, especially if you're swallowing them nearly whole.

Give it a try, but for me it wasn't a great experience. I definitely prefer some real food.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://itsugar.com/it-sugar-giant-27lb-gummy-bear.html

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In theory, yeah, they're full of sugar and not much different than an energy gel or chew. However, dive a little deeper and start to compare the corn syrup and artificial dyes and preservatives with what is found in a Gu or Honey Stinger and you might see why the candy might not be the best idea. However, that being said, I love nothing more than some coke or pepsi during a long race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used a variety of Haribo products during long runs and ultras, they are a little tougher to chew than any chew I've had from sports nutrition companies but I think they taste better.
Quote Reply
Re: Haribo as Nutrition [jjstains] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jjstains wrote:
In theory, yeah, they're full of sugar and not much different than an energy gel or chew. However, dive a little deeper and start to compare the corn syrup and artificial dyes and preservatives with what is found in a Gu or Honey Stinger and you might see why the candy might not be the best idea. However, that being said, I love nothing more than some coke or pepsi during a long race

Are you using the coke or pepsi flat? If so, do you have a recipe?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Haribo as Nutrition [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:

1. They're pretty hard to get down; they might seem squidgy and soft but in my experience they still take quite a bit of chewing.
This. I was in Europe for a while and couldn't find energy bars, so tried out a lot of things, including Haribo gummy bears. Long story short: I'll probably never eat them again. Trying to get enough down to get the calories you need during a long ride is a very unpleasant experience. If you want cheap, and it's not hot out, go with something like snickers bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sugar free Gummi bears. My go to nutrition. Great for a detox too...

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swedish fish are much better and a lot softer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beware of becoming like the stereotypical kid whose stomach is killing him because he ate too much candy after Halloween.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I import European Haribos for that exact reason - much better. We even offer them at the main aid station at the SwimRun NC

But yes, not super easy to digest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For best results, eat lots of the sugar-free Haribos.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't race with them, but for cheap energy on training rides I use Haribo or jelly babies pretty regularly. The sugar-coated tangy ones are the best, they're not so chat. Don't see the point of spending a lot of money on sports nutrition, my stomach seems to treat most calories the same regardless of cost.

I live in Europe though, Haribo may be different here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Powerbar Powergels with cola taste?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Take a big gulp of milk and see how much of this Gummi bear review you can read without the milk exiting your nose:

https://www.amazon.com/review/R9LN2785JGSL3

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Haribo as Nutrition [Sim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Society is no longer evolving.... it is devolving.
I did have a laugh though.
Quote Reply
Re: Haribo as Nutrition [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
  4. Finally, even though they're packed with sugar, I'm not sure how quickly the gelatin is digested, especially if you're swallowing them nearly whole.

Give it a try, but for me it wasn't a great experience. I definitely prefer some real food.

You don't qualify (you may stick with your PBJ) or Muesli bar.

They are cheaper than those sports nutrition ones and can be had in quite a variety.....I also use them for racing.

But only buy the "original", manufactued in Europe. No domestic gelatin, if I can avoid it.

Mad cow disease and all.
Last edited by: windschatten: Sep 23, 17 22:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should come with a label... "may contain natural ingredients".

Would make me puke my guts out in a few miles... cheap for a reason.

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haribos work great for me, not the cola or the worms the regular colored bears
Very easy to carry,easy to digest and full of needed sugars
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No love for Sour Patch Kids?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Haribo as Nutrition [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They're my go to as far as a "pick me up" when the motivation/mood/energy levels go down say ~10+ hrs into some dumb event.
Quote Reply
Re: Haribo as Nutrition [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely a funny read too bad the guy completely plagiarized it.

As a side note if people enjoyed that story, they may enjoy the one below.
http://thewvsr.com/ryans.htm
Last edited by: tyme: Sep 27, 17 10:14
Quote Reply
Re: Haribo as Nutrition [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
I import European Haribos for that exact reason - much better. We even offer them at the main aid station at the SwimRun NC

But yes, not super easy to digest.

Agree - German Haribo are just plain better. I do chew on them occasionally during a long run (not ride) but only as a waker upper. I can't get the calories I need digested fast enough from gelatin. Hard enough to digest energy drinks as it is.
Quote Reply
Re: Haribo as Nutrition [Tim_Canterbury] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tim_Canterbury wrote:
They're my go to as far as a "pick me up" when the motivation/mood/energy levels go down say ~10+ hrs into some dumb event.

I've had them in my run special needs bag the past two races. Not the best nutrition, but the flavor is different than anything on course. This year I had my daughter pick out the gummies, so it was a surprise on race day and she felt included a little.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply

Prev Next