Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hard time recovering from Half-Marathon
Quote | Reply
Ran the Rock & Roll half-Marathon last week in Chicago. Overall, pretty happy with my time (1:39). Weather was hot & humid (temps @ 80* when the gun fired @ 6:30). I was bang-on my goal pace / Daniels VDOT estimator pace through 10 miles (7:30 / mile). Hit the wall a bit for the alst 3 miles and did 7:45 - 7:50 coming in. Ended up about 30" over the Daniels chart predicted time for my VDOT (46). Given the temps, I guess that is a reasonable. Finished in the top 3% for both my age group and overall.

Running the Chicago Marathon as my "A" race and the build-up has been good. Have knocked out several weeks in the mid-50's and more in the 40's. My previous weekly high had been 45 miles last year, building for Madison.

Anyway, my legs have been pretty spent since then. Didn't run on Mon, did 6 on Tuesday (felt OK), and10 on Weds (OK, but a bit tired at the end), all at an Easy pace (8:45-9:00 / mile). Started a run on Thursday and pulled ht eplug @ 1km. Just felt like schitt. Bagged my run on Friday and opted for more rest. Then 3 on Sat (8:00 / mile) and was shooting for 18 yesterday, but stopped @ 15. Been fighting a bit of a left glute strain as well and it was really bugging me during the run yesterday.(left leg felt like it was dragging).

Had planned to do a fair number of miles this week (60) but was going to split nearly all my runs into 2 runs, with daily mileage on the BarryP ratio plan (1:2:3). Today was going to be two 3 mile runs. Just ran the first at lunch and still felt flat, even though I was running very easy (9:00 / mile).

SO I guess my questions are:
  • rest more? If so, how much?
  • follow my plan for thsi week through tomorrow and see if my legs bounce back a bit, which works sometimes
  • Just ride this week for a more "active" recovery, but still getting some cardio work in?

I'm leaning towards getting on the bike for the week, but what i don't want to do is lose ground vs. the gains I have made this year. I have been prone to injuries in the past (Achilles, PF, stress Fx, ITBS) and, other than the glute, I am feeling pretty good and my running has improved (the half last weekend was a PR by 8+minutes).

Any thoughts / input appreciated.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Hard time recovering from Half-Marathon [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd tell you that you need to run more. But you are running 40mpw-50mpw? And have trouble recovering from a half? Something is off.

Half is nothing. Lots of us run that far every weekend. And then train just fine again the next day. Something is definitely off. Maybe you are coming down with something? Or that glute injury is more serious?
Quote Reply
Re: Hard time recovering from Half-Marathon [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, hence the reason I am asking. My long runs have been well-above 13 miles for a number of weeks (although obviously at a lower intensity). WOuld not ahve expected a Half to impact me a week+ from the run (and I did well given my running ability, given the weather and predicted finish times)

I feel fine, with no indications of sickness. Just wondering at this point if it a cumulative fatigue vs. the impact of the half by itself. But my last two weeks have only been in the mid-30's (one by design and last week due to how I was feeling)

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am no expert on this - but running a 13 mile long run at EZ pace is a far cry from doing a half marathon at maximum sustainable pace in the heat and humidity. I would expect that to take something out of the tank - especially if you are not a young'un anymore.

Did you do any cool down when you finished Did you hydrate well afterward? I would expect it to take a good week to feel springy again but not much more.

If you are still not feeling good - could be fighting something or just tried to do too much before you were recovered - take it easy for a few more days with short, really EZ pace runs and see how you feel later this week. Maybe throw some striders in to see how you feel when you pick up the pace.

Hope you feel the snap come back to your legs later this week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many half marathons do you race a year? I'm suspecting not too many.

I'm like you, feeling the half marathon a week later, but it seems the ability to recover is somewhat trainable. When I'm racing more (or training at higher intensities), I recover quicker. I'd give it 10 days or so, and you'll probably be feeling great - if you're allowing the recovery. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was that race a maximum effort for you?
I ran a half PB earlier this year all out, and I was definitely still feeling the effects a week later.

This was coming off 75-85kms/week, and tapered my volume during race week. Mind you, race week was also vacation and I walked a fair bit in the days before.
Didn't do anything for 3 days after the race, and I just ran easy a little bit every day (6-8 kms) until things "felt normal" again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The general rule of thumb is 1 day for every mile of a running race to recover. Now this does not mean no running, just about that amount of time to get back to where you were before the race. So for two weeks, do not be so concerned about hitting the exact mileage or pace you were doing before the race, dial it back it bit. Then after two weeks or so, then you should be back to where you were.
Quote Reply
Re: Hard time recovering from Half-Marathon [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Half is nothing. Lots of us run that far every weekend. And then train just fine again the next day.

You are either doing your races way too easy or your training way too hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Hard time recovering from Half-Marathon [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
The general rule of thumb is 1 day for every mile of a running race to recover. Now this does not mean no running, just about that amount of time to get back to where you were before the race. So for two weeks, do not be so concerned about hitting the exact mileage or pace you were doing before the race, dial it back it bit. Then after two weeks or so, then you should be back to where you were.

Well, that makes me feel a little bit better then.

So would you receommend runs in 3-5 mile range then for the time being (at an Easy apce, obviously)?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are your legs tired or sore? I have a hard time recovering from soreness in only a few days after an open half. (this is not a backdoor brag) I ran a 1/2 last year in May and had been running 40-60 MPW and calves and quads were beat up for a week. I could still run because after a few days they weren't too tired. I am also running Chicago and if you are having any health issues address them now so you can fix them before upping the mileage more.

I'd say get a massage to try to address the glute issue then maybe do the same workouts but at your zone 2 pace then next week jump back into some speed. Or just go day by day with this week. If you're feeling ok during the run pick up the pace for a bit then see how you feel the next day. But I wouldn't push it now or else you could jeopardize the marathon.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Hard time recovering from Half-Marathon [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
Are your legs tired or sore? I have a hard time recovering from soreness in only a few days after an open half. (this is not a backdoor brag) I ran a 1/2 last year in May and had been running 40-60 MPW and calves and quads were beat up for a week. I could still run because after a few days they weren't too tired. I am also running Chicago and if you are having any health issues address them now so you can fix them before upping the mileage more.

Mostly tired....was definitely sore the first couple of days, but more of a feeling of fatigue now. And you are exactly right re: timing.....I don't want to jeopardize Chicago.

Quote:
I'd say get a massage to try to address the glute issue then maybe do the same workouts but at your zone 2 pace then next week jump back into some speed. Or just go day by day with this week. If you're feeling ok during the run pick up the pace for a bit then see how you feel the next day. But I wouldn't push it now or else you could jeopardize the marathon.

Yeah, had the glute and legs worked on Friday. Helped, but once I started running again, the glute locked up again.

Just tried using a TENS unit on glute for grins & giggles. Seems to feel better, but was a very bizarre sensation when I was doing the treatment.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
jrielley wrote:

Mostly tired....was definitely sore the first couple of days, but more of a feeling of fatigue now. And you are exactly right re: timing.....I don't want to jeopardize Chicago.

Quote:

Yeah, had the glute and legs worked on Friday. Helped, but once I started running again, the glute locked up again.

Just tried using a TENS unit on glute for grins & giggles. Seems to feel better, but was a very bizarre sensation when I was doing the treatment.

Have you not read ANY of the IC 50/50/50 threads??? How can you possibly complain about recovery from a mere half mary after the IC has shown us you can do 50 IMs in 50 days, and in 50 diff states to boot. You just need to seriously HTFU:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply