Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hard Time Running in The Heat
Quote | Reply
HI everyone! First time post.

I'm hoping some of you can give me some good advice on coping and running in the heat. A quick background on me. I spent my childhood and college years as a competitive swimmer and turned to open water racing in my 20's and 30's. I got into triathlon at the age of 40 and I'm 46 today. I'm 5'10" and 156 lbs. with about 8% body fat. So I'm not carrying any excess weight.

Here's my issue, and it seems to be getting worse as I age. I live in Southern California where it can get really hot in the summer and I can run when it's cool with no issues but once it starts to creep up into the low to mid 80's, I really begin feeling the heat. I can feel my core heating up and can't seem to cool down no matter what I do. I shoot to take in 1200 mg of sodium per hour which is based on my high salt loss rate and always keep hydrated. I've tried many of the common suggestions like running in the heat and over time you become acclimated. But when I run in the heat (anything over 85 I'd say), I completely fall apart and end up having to walk when I can feel my body start to completely heat up. When I get home I look like a wreck with a beat red face and what feels like the onset of heat exhaustion. The "acclimation" process doesn't seem to work in may case, or maybe I'm doing it wrong. I do mostly 70.3 and full ironman races so my runs can be long and while I try to run in the early mornings, I'm sometimes forced to run later in the day or early evening.

Does anything have any idea why I react like this when my fellow training friends don't have this same reaction? Anything new you can suggest that might help me?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Gregg
Quote Reply
Re: Hard Time Running in The Heat [gregg_witz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Being from the U.K. & living in Texas I also struggle with the heat, but at least now when I race somewhere it's generally cooler / easier.

When racing I'll dump water/ice over my head at every aid station & get a short haircut a few days before. When training, I'll run early, try & find shady routes, take ice water with me & wear the lightest shirt I can.

Beyond that it's just pacing, two options 1) run slower 2) run for 3-4 miles (until hot) walk for a mile (till you're dry/cold) run again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gregg_witz wrote:

I'm hoping some of you can give me some good advice on coping and running in the heat. A quick background on me. I spent my childhood and college years as a competitive swimmer and turned to open water racing in my 20's and 30's. I got into triathlon at the age of 40 and I'm 46 today. I'm 5'10" and 156 lbs. with about 8% body fat. So I'm not carrying any excess weight.

Here's my issue, and it seems to be getting worse as I age. I live in Southern California where it can get really hot in the summer and I can run when it's cool with no issues but once it starts to creep up into the low to mid 80's, I really begin feeling the heat. I can feel my core heating up and can't seem to cool down no matter what I do. I shoot to take in 1200 mg of sodium per hour which is based on my high salt loss rate and always keep hydrated. I've tried many of the common suggestions like running in the heat and over time you become acclimated. But when I run in the heat (anything over 85 I'd say), I completely fall apart and end up having to walk when I can feel my body start to completely heat up. When I get home I look like a wreck with a beat red face and what feels like the onset of heat exhaustion. The "acclimation" process doesn't seem to work in may case, or maybe I'm doing it wrong. I do mostly 70.3 and full ironman races so my runs can be long and while I try to run in the early mornings, I'm sometimes forced to run later in the day or early evening.

Does anything have any idea why I react like this when my fellow training friends don't have this same reaction? Anything new you can suggest that might help me?

Gregg

what pace are you trying to run at and does this differ from say your morning pace?. Are you going by heart rate at all?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to freeze plastic 500ml bottles and run with one in each hand. Got me through my 30 min workouts. The hands have big return veins or something and keeping them cool helps keep the heart/core cool...or something to that effect. Maybe.

Anyway, it helped me a lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just slow down. You will get your aerobic workout at a slower pace.

We have days where at 5 am it's in the 80ies, and it feels like 105 (according to Accuweather).
Those days a 6 mile run at 8:30 is a moderate effort at best. A few days ago it was 77 at night and I went 7:50 perceived easy. (I'm not the fastest runner, I know)

NO
Quote Reply
Re: Hard Time Running in The Heat [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
gregg_witz wrote:

Gregg

what pace are you trying to run at and does this differ from say your morning pace?. Are you going by heart rate at all?

^^^^^This.

You are probably instinctively trying to match your "normal" pace. When it's hot out (or I'm training at altitude) I always make sure to go by heart rate. It feels too slow, but trying to go faster just results in a blowup.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The other day I was trying to hit 4 x 6 minute repeats at a 7:10 pace but it sounds like I should be abandoning the pace and simply going on heart rate. I do run with an HR monitor. But if I consistency slow down my pace to accommodate the heat during training then how I do I ever get faster in the heat for a potentially hot run on race day?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am trying to meet my "normal" pace. You are correct. But if I consistency slow down my pace to accommodate the heat during training then how I do I ever get faster in the heat for a potentially hot run on race day?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eventually your body should adapt somewhat to the heat but most people will always run a little slower in hot conditions in my experience. You should definitely not try to match your pace in cooler training sessions, you need to adjust to your environment. Good luck!

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
quality session in the cold...(early morning) and easy runs in the heat. you will get the adaptation and the good quality of the training.

most likely, you are just overdoing it in the heat and not doing the protocol long enough. everyone will adapte to the heat and it s a matter of time and exposure. but when in the heat...just focus on taking it easy until you start feel more comfortable and confident.

also, the learner you are...the easier it will be in the heat

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gregg_witz wrote:
The other day I was trying to hit 4 x 6 minute repeats at a 7:10 pace but it sounds like I should be abandoning the pace and simply going on heart rate. I do run with an HR monitor. But if I consistency slow down my pace to accommodate the heat during training then how I do I ever get faster in the heat for a potentially hot run on race day?

Some good comments just above mine as well but I will reiterate, nuking quality sessions in the heat is probably what is needed. Fwiw, I can't do any quality down here in Central Florida. The temp is 92-97, The Heat Index is 110 everyday, the ***real feel*** is even higher. I adjust accordingly and it is lot more aerobic work and slower steady-state efforts. The other day I was on long ride (4 hours), the real feel was a 118 one moment, then a strong storm came thru and it was in the low 70s. I modified the workout on the fly to get 30 minutes of quality efforts being mostly 1 min at or above threshold with 2 minutes rest.

Flexibility down here is a must because it is such a tough environment. If I wanted to do quality I would stay on the trainer or go to the gym and use the treadmill. Just the way it is. Every training environment has its plus and minuses.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great advice everyone!! Thank you. Sounds like I need to put my ego on hold and just watch my heart rate during hot days and be OK with slowing my pace down dramatically so not to overheat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think some of us are just wired differently. Like you I have friends that "love" heat and humidity... it just zaps me. I can run in it all summer and not really get to a point where I'm able to drill a tempo or track workout. I'm an inch taller and carry about 20 more lbs. of muscle... single/low teen body fat for me too.

That said I've learned to go easier and work based on heart rate. The workouts are about the effort and a "slower" pace on a super hot/humid day can net the same effort at a slower pace. For me I just do not perform as well in warmer temps... sometimes gapping 20-30 seconds slower will be a bit more stressful of a workout in terms of heart rate. Currently dealing with 80s and sometimes 90'something humidity. Brutal!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll second racing by HR in the heat. My n=1 is 2 HIM races with HR, 1 without. You can guess which one I walked most of the last few miles...

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Hard Time Running in The Heat [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a couple of aspects of running in the heat that I would like to see discussed further. This is important for my training (I live in Tucson) and also for my performance this year at Kona.

1) Diarrhea- this seems to be the worst in "hot and humid" conditions. (But generally occurs whenever it is hot).
Sometimes the diarrhea is associated with weakness and nausea.
I would especially like to avoid this in Kona.
2) Swelling- Running in hot weather (especially humidity) causes swelling. The swelling seems to start during the run - (it will ebb and recede in relationships to dehydration). The swelling can often last for days after a long run.
3) Exceptional soreness - this may be related to the swelling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow, can i relate. almost exactly the same numbers as you. i have found the following to help:

1. don't expect my body to change. i have to change my approach.
2. use HR... i know that for me if i keep it under 160bmp i will hold... once it hits 160 it will keep rising till i have to walk for 1-2 mins to bring it back down. which is not the end of the world, but bums me out.
3. keep my head cool. ice water in my headsweats hat a good one.
4. no shirt... no matter what everyone else is wearing. as cool as i can be.
5. be ok with a "run for x min, then walk for 1 min" approach. when you do the numbers it turns out to be pretty good.... just feels psychologically wrong.

good luck. you are not alone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
from a Runners world article: (https://www.runnersworld.com/...aining-in-the-heat):

DEW POINT (°F) RUNNER'S PERCEPTION HOW TO HANDLE
50–54 Very comfortable PR conditions
55–59 Comfortable Hard efforts likely not affected
60–64 Uncomfortable for some people Expect race times to be slower than in optimal conditions
65–69 Uncomfortable for most people Easy training runs might feel OK but difficult to race well or do hard efforts
70–74 Very humid and uncomfortable Expect pace to suffer greatly
75 or greater Extremely oppressive Skip it or dramatically alter goal

Workout example:
Today I did hill bursts, dew point was 76. so I jogged to the hill at 9:00, then did my hill bursts (8x 15 secs) , put my head in the fountain and jogged back. Getting fadter all the time.

NO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep a cooler in your car with gallon jugs of water. Try to run loops where you can swing by and dump some ice cold water on yourself when needed. So refreshing when it's hot both during the run and at the end of your run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greg, I'm also in So. Cal, and what I've found key to my workouts is
1) to start hydrated and with electrolytes.
2) many of the posts list running slower, yes.
3) run with a bottle for heat dissipation, spray arms, neck, head.

I used to live in Arizona and found the same protocol and liquid consumption to be identical in So. Cal due to the humidity.
One other thing to consider is to not run in direct sunlight, run pre sunrise or at sunset for 1 Hr of light- makes a huge difference.
Happy Training!
Quote Reply
Re: Hard Time Running in The Heat [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here in southern nc the dew point was 78-81 all week last week. Needless to say I haven't done any speed or tempo work. It was down to 74 today and i thought i was flying. Heat will slow you down. Just don't over cook your self.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trainer road guys did a pod cast on heat adaptation training. Worth looking at.

One race tip: race saver bag. It's just a nylon bag that holds ice. Really helps to cool me down in races. Check it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You sure the problem is heat? Or is it solar radiation? Have you tried running on a shaded course? Same air temp, but no sun.

Solar radiation absolutely destroys me. So much so that last 1/3 of a run I often walk the sunny sections and run the shaded ones. Even if the temperatures are just high 70s.

This study:

https://atlasofscience.org/...n-a-hot-environment/
Quote Reply
Re: Hard Time Running in The Heat [stinkycheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Living in Austin, in the past I was performing all of my high intensity runs at 6:00pm May thru Sept. This year I moved my interval work inside to the Treadmill while keeping my tempo and long/slow runs outside in the early mornings......for a few reasons, but the main one was to get out of the heat for the intervals. I loved running in the heat, but I wanted to see how running indoors for the hard runs would affect the "quality". The biggest difference is......I am not completely zapped that evening and more importantly, the next morning which made my morning after swim much more pleasant and doable. I was more fresh. Think about moving the high intensity stuff indoors.
Quote Reply
Re: Hard Time Running in The Heat [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
I'll second racing by HR in the heat. My n=1 is 2 HIM races with HR, 1 without. You can guess which one I walked most of the last few miles...

I used to be of same opinion, ie. For long event's HR was the best way of pacing it.

But when the marathon I trained for arrived in February it was hot & humid, within a few miles I was well over my target of ~150 (threshold 169)

At the end of the race I felt pretty awful, however my average heart rate was 168 (ie. just a touch under threshold for just under 4 hours)

I'll still use HR for training, but when it comes to a race I'll only use it as part of the decision making process in concert with RPE & power.
Quote Reply

Prev Next