Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hanging bikes in the garage - give me some ideas
Quote | Reply
There are 7 bikes in the garage so both cars can't fit inside at the same time. While I see no problem with this (my TT bike is worth more than my '02 Accord) my wife insists I do something about it.
Its a two garage with a standard unfinished wood frame / plywood construction, and a 12' high ceiling covered in drywall.
I need to get the bikes out of the way but the 5'1" wife and young kids still need to be able to get them down.
Share some ideas on how to hang bikes.

Related question: is it OK to hang bikes upside-down by the wheel rims? Over time will it make the wheel a bit oval?

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Hanging bikes in the garage - give me some ideas [Doubletime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How safe are bikes in garages?

That would be my biggest concern.

We keep the junker ride-around-town bikes in the garage, but the good stuff stays in the basement.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Nov 21, 14 7:52
Quote Reply
Re: Hanging bikes in the garage - give me some ideas [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have all of my bikes in the garage but I also have my garage alarmed. No way to get in there without setting off the alarm and then there is one of the cars parked right up against the bikes so you have to climb over the car to get the bike. The only bikes in the house are the ones on the trainers. 2 on trainers inside and 7 in the garage.
Quote Reply
Re: Hanging bikes in the garage - give me some ideas [Doubletime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The internet is full of solutions for this sort of thing both DIY and manufactured. Without seeing the bikes, the garage, the cars, and the people hanging them it is impossible to give you a good answer. Google "hanging bike storage" and start looking at ideas that will work for you.

Hanging bikes by the rims is fine.

Some thins I have used in the past are:
Simple rubber coated J hooks to the ceiling for both rims under $5 per bike
- add a pulley and cord to hook to the saddle rail and pull it flat to the ceiling. about $10-15 per bike.
Wall mounted bike hangers form hardware store under $10
hanging the nose of the bike over a rafter or a 2x4 dropped down from the ceiling. Both were free

Look into hanging some from the ceiling and some from the walls

Check out Feed back sports for their new line of Bike storage products. Well thought out and nice looking.
http://feedbacksports.com/shop/bicycle-storage.aspx
Velo Post
Velo Hook
Velo wall rack

Good Luck
Last edited by: QuattroCreep: Nov 21, 14 8:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my bikes hang from the ceiling with 2 hooks per bike, put the hooks in a 2x4 to get the spacing correct then bolt the 2x4 to the ceiling.
think about it - the bike weighs less than 20lbs, that's 10lb/wheel.. if the rim can't take that much load it's probably defective.. have some 30-year-old wheels that have been hanging a bike all their life, still fine.
The TT bike with race wheels on uses a ceiling hoist.

kids and wife's bike are on wall-mount racks. if wall space is limited, ceiling hoists would probably work too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is what I use for some of the extra bike storage. Super easy to operate and a twelve foot ceiling should allow plenty of clearance.
You just need to access power- potentially through your garage door opener plug. I will edit the picture below with my set up later today.
It holds 220 pounds. It's clean and you can load and unload the bikes in less than a minute.

http://www.amazon.com/...rds=garage+gator+220

Last edited by: mcycle: Nov 21, 14 10:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I built my own hanging rack in the garage. I have 7 bikes and the problem is that the spacing that allows easy racking/unracking is WAY too far apart. Buy some unistrut, get some trolleys, hang the hooks off of the trolleys, then you can "accordian" the bikes next to each other to push em all together or make space to rack/unrack. It takes a fraction of the space and works really really well. PM me if you'd like more details.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is what I did, though it may be tough for the kids and wife to get them down. Total cost was about $60 from Home Depot. I have since lowered everything about 6" to make it a little easier. Maybe have 1 higher up for adult bikes and then make a separate (lower) one for the kid's bikes.

Quote Reply
Re: Hanging bikes in the garage - give me some ideas [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
How safe are bikes in garages?
That would be my biggest concern.
We keep the junker ride-around-town bikes in the garage, but the good stuff stays in the basement.

I live on a quiet court in a rural village in Ontario, I have a 120lb dog on the porch, and nosy neighbors. My garage door is wide open all summer with bikes, lawn tractor, power tools, sports equip. all in plain view. Security is not an issue.
Space and keeping the bikes from getting damaged is my #1 concern.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
look at RAD cycle products - basically a pulley system that allows you to lift to the ceiling and you can hang from rims or seat and bars. I like that you can hang each bike independently so the kids can raise and lower their bikes without banging up yours. You can find them on Amazon. Kind of cheap pulleys but they work just fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Over time I have changed how I do it.

I had them hanging high, pulled up on ropes for a while. But that was tough for the wife. Now I have changed to a very simple set up.

I use a big padded hook screwed into a stud. I set the height by standing the bike on its back wheel and put the hook at the point just above where the front wheel meets the wall. Almost all of the weight rests on the back wheel. The hook pretty much just keeps them steady. The wife or kids don't have to be able to lift their bikes, just be able to keep them steady on their back wheel.

It doesn't get them completely out of the way, but they are only as deep as a bike is tall and as wide as one bike per hook and since the hooks are in studs they are at 16 or 24 inches per bike depending on your garage.

The bikes do not fall over and are easy in/easy out.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have several of the individual pulley systems to hang bikes above cars. The typical Performance type with two hooks, two pulleys and a rope. They suck. Rope frays, rope gets caught, bike falls off hook, you need a bungy cord to keep front wheel turning. I wouldn't want my kids or wife trying to raise and lower their bikes with this system.

I've gone back to some 2x4 homemade bike racks on the ground. Fortunately I have the space in my garage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hang 7 bikes over the hood of one car in a two car garage. Works fine. No issue with hanging bikes upside down by rims. 5'1" wife could surely get up/down. Might be a little tougher for kids, depending on how young.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doubletime wrote:
There are 7 bikes in the garage so both cars can't fit inside at the same time. While I see no problem with this (my TT bike is worth more than my '02 Accord) my wife insists I do something about it.
Its a two garage with a standard unfinished wood frame / plywood construction, and a 12' high ceiling covered in drywall.
I need to get the bikes out of the way but the 5'1" wife and young kids still need to be able to get them down.
Share some ideas on how to hang bikes.

Related question: is it OK to hang bikes upside-down by the wheel rims? Over time will it make the wheel a bit oval?

Bikes hang by the rims just fine in my experience. The load from its weight is approx/less than 10% of the load it carries while riding,
Well done for having bikes worth more than your car.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was my solution. Was driving my wife (then fiancé') nuts that my bikes were always blocking something in the garage.

I took a 5 foot 2x4 and mounted it into 3 studs. Cheap hooks from home depot screwed in about 18 inches apart and just hang the bikes by the tires. Works great!

My Website || Twitter || Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I like the fee back one. You can mount it on the wall or use their stand. It is adjustable for sloping top tube as well. It doubles as a work stand for me. I've got 2 wall mounted one. One in garage and one in basement.
http://bicyclevillage.com/...mn-copy-196081-1.jpg
Quote Reply
Re: Hanging bikes in the garage - give me some ideas [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[url=http://postimage.org/][img=http://s27.postimg.org/...uj3qr/bike_shelf.png][/url]
I made up single wood shelves ... still have a few around , finish em in what ever stain you want and hang a few in the house and few in the garage .... waaa laaaa
Last edited by: knedragon: Nov 24, 14 17:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Rubbermaid Fast Track system. It works great. It was inexpensive and easy to install. It holds the bike by one wheel and byl alternating handlbar up or down, the bikes rest close together. I used about twice as many anchor bolts as recommended because I'm paranoid and it is solid. I've recommended this system to several friends and no one has been disappointed.

http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?CatName=GarageOrganization&SubcatId=FastTrackGarageOrganizationSystem&Prod_ID=RP091292

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bike hanging rig is a bit more shim-sham than some of the others posted here.

I was given a trunk rack (like to mount on the rear of a car), and I had no use for it in that manner. However, I was able to secure it to my garage wall pretty easily. I can hold 3 bikes side by side by side.

These kinds of racks can be found (basically free) all over the place. If you have a used sporting equipment store in your town, you can probably pick up a rack or two very cheap. Then, you just need to find a creative way to mount the rack(s) to your wall.
Quote Reply