Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Handling of a TitanFlex Vs Yaqui DE frame
Quote | Reply
Okay, am down to two bikes I am looking at.

One is the TitanFlex. I have yet to find an owner that has nothing but positive to say about the bike. But, one question, how is the handling in lots of hills? What angle are you riding?

The other is the Yaqui Mariola with the DE frame. The folks I have heard from that have this bike say because of the DE frame setup, it handles like a dream!!

So, go at it. Help me with the Pro's and Con's for each.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Handling of a TitanFlex Vs Yaqui DE frame [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How steep do you ride? How low? If very steep and low, look at the DE Geo. If not, the Titan might be more appropriate.
Quote Reply
Re: Handling of a TitanFlex Vs Yaqui DE frame [caleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bike I have been riding as not been very steep or low. The Hed aerolab was maybe 74.

So, that is the struggle, at 49, 6'5", and the back is not perfect, would I be nuts to even consider a bike with a steep angle? (Most of my races are OLY and 1/2 IM distances)

My Hed aerolab setup was NOT very stable IMO, going down real steep hills, which a lot of the races here in Northern Calif. have lots of hills. So, I would love to get a bike that handles a little better.

So, TF folks, how is the handling? What angle are you riding?

Wish I was not an engineer. Too many questions.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The point of the DE geometry is to remedy the weight distribution problem created by riding very steep. If you aren't riding 78* or more I don't know why you would need it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave,

From a sheer handling perspective, you can't go wrong with a Yaqui. DE or not. Read the reviews, talk to the riders, it is consistent. I can ride my Carbo (that I ride at 77 degrees) no hands without a problem. If I need to reach in to my jersey to get a gel, I can stay aero, no problem. Descents, tight corners, never an issue - I take it up and down Mt. Diablo several times a year.

I have never ridden a titanflex, so I can't speak to their handling abilities, but can't say enough about Ves' bikes.

John
Last edited by: JohnA: Nov 15, 05 13:40
Quote Reply
Re: Handling of a TitanFlex Vs Yaqui DE frame [caleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The point of the DE geometry is to remedy the weight distribution problem created by riding very steep. If you aren't riding 78* or more I don't know why you would need it.

I agree here. A bike's handling is a combination of the rider's weight distribution and the bike's geometry. If you sit back in a normal, balanced manner, you don't necessarily need the longer front-center of the DE bike. The large size Titanflex has a long enough wheelbase to suit your needs, I would think.

I have a DE, but if I didn't ride so far forward, I'd have a Tflex.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only person I know of who has first hand experience with both bikes is Titan. If he doesn't answer this post, you might want to PM the guy.

The others are right though - if you don't ride steep, the DE may not be your ideal ride. I'm certain that Ves can build you a bike that DOES fit/handle/ride optimally, it just might not be in DE geometry. Likewise, the TF might work for you, it might not. Mostly it depends on your size/proportions/position.

Tom makes a sweet ride that, if it fits you and your position/style, flat out rocks. Ves will build you a bike that kicks ass, customized (if needed) to suit your size/proportions/position.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"at 49, 6'5", and the back is not perfect, would I be nuts to even consider a bike with a steep angle?"

i'll be 49 in 2 months, i'm 6'2", i have significant back problems when running and even swimming, and i ride quite steep. many or most people should be embracing steep angles for the very reasons they are afraid of them.

mind you, i don't think you have to ride the steepest of angles, but moderatly steep is VERY comfortable if you're set up correctly, and quite easy on your back.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply