Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hamstring cramp EVERY RACE!!
Quote | Reply
Quick Summary: I got into Triathlons in 2013 training for the Wildflower half with my brother and some friends, then stupidly signed up to do IMLT with the same friends in 2013. My training over 2013 and most of 2014 consisted of an average of about 8-10 hours per week. Starting in the Fall of 2014 I have picked up the intensity and been feeling really good with my races in 2015 (one sprint and two olympics so far). I am signed up for Wildflower Long Course, Vineman 70.3, Silverman 70.3, and IMAZ.

Here is my question: basically every race in the past my left hamstring cramps up really bad at some point during the run. I believe in the past I was not consuming near enough calories during the race. I am trying to fix that this year and I am eating what feels like constantly on the bike and more than usual on the run. I also am one of those guys that sweat and when I sweat it seems to be pure salt! I'll get done with a group ride and I am the only guy with white all over his black jersey. I thought maybe with taking in more calories I might have solved this problem, but in the two Olympic distance races I have done in 2015 my left hamstring has still cramped (its always the left one)! The only other thing I can think it might be is possibly a bike fit issue?

I am 6 feet tall and weight 172 lbs. been consistently losing weight since I started this in 2013 (around 190 lbs). I still have some lbs to lose. I am no superstar, just trying to break the 5 hour mark at Vineman 70.3 this year and the 11 hour mark at IMAZ in November. This hamstring has me nervous that it will cramp up like every other race and end in mild disappointment knowing I had energy left in the tank but couldn't bend my leg for fear of a cramp setting in... so I pretty much run with a straight left leg for the rest of the race or until it goes away.

Go ahead and tell me what I am doing wrong...

Every man for himself!!
Quote Reply
Re: Hamstring cramp EVERY RACE!! [TeamPigeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ride easier
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What happens in a pure running race, like a half mary?

I mean not enough calories are bad, but if it is the same exact spot.. I suspect muscle imbalance / tightness / form asymmetry.

Can you do a legit squat without falling over to your side?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a chronic cramper (calf) I discovered that I was anemic and after consuming some Floradix I noticed a large improvement. My calves used to twitch non-stop like I had a family of worms living between the muscle and skin but now it's improved 90%+.

I'm not 100% out of the cramping camp but it's made a big difference. And not being anemic helps quite a bit as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Hamstring cramp EVERY RACE!! [copperman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pure running races I have never had any issues with cramping...

Every man for himself!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need more bike fitness.
Quote Reply
Re: Hamstring cramp EVERY RACE!! [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/reply]I don't doubt that. I suspect something like overbiking, needing more bike fitness, bike fit issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you cramp while doing the run portion of your brick workout?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Hamstring cramp EVERY RACE!! [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had serious cramping issues my first several years, but only in long course events. My hamstring would cramp almost immediately after coming off the bike. I'm sure additional bike fitness helped, but the big change I made was throwing in the towel and buying Pickle Juice Sport (8 oz bottles...every bit as nasty as it sounds. I take one the night before the race, another the morning of, and again in T1 and T2. I had read about it and thought it was BS, but I was desperate. I have no financial interest in the company (http://www.goldenpicklejuice.com/) but will testify that this worked for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd see a PT to rule out any alignment/muscle imbalance issues. Possibly take another look at bike fitting and go from there.

Many years ago I was having a left hamstring & calf issues, even pulled the hammy during a father/son flag football game for the 2nd time in my life. I saw a PT friend and he recommended I start doing some additional core work
(I was too focused on abs) and once healthy some deadlifts & straight leg deadlifts with light weight. He said my hamstrings & lower back were too weak compared to my quads and frontal core. Since then the hammy issue has disappeared.

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Re: Hamstring cramp EVERY RACE!! [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is way cheaper to just buy some pickles and save the juice by the way. But yeah, pickle juice can work for some odd reason.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TeamPigeon wrote:
I also am one of those guys that sweat and when I sweat it seems to be pure salt!

You're going to want to eat less salt then. Its so funny when people think this means they need MORE salt. Your body is very good at getting rid of stuff it doesn't need.

edit: I meant that from a pure diet standpoint. If someone is sweating a lot of salt out it usually means they are consuming too much of it through their diet.
Last edited by: apbadger: Apr 14, 15 6:06
Quote Reply
Re: Hamstring cramp EVERY RACE!! [dmacandcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dmacandcheese wrote:
I'd see a PT to rule out any alignment/muscle imbalance issues. Possibly take another look at bike fitting and go from there.

Many years ago I was having a left hamstring & calf issues, even pulled the hammy during a father/son flag football game for the 2nd time in my life. I saw a PT friend and he recommended I start doing some additional core work
(I was too focused on abs) and once healthy some deadlifts & straight leg deadlifts with light weight. He said my hamstrings & lower back were too weak compared to my quads and frontal core. Since then the hammy issue has disappeared.

This....

Along with pelvic tilt. If you upper quads or hip flexors are tight, too much strain will tilt a pelvis forward, stretching the hamstrings. Or your psoas may be overworking to compensate as well. Too aero bike position, too hard biking, too fast running, not enough balance or therapy can also contribute to an imbalance leading to the hamstring pull feeling.
Quote Reply
Re: Hamstring cramp EVERY RACE!! [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be Pickle Juice not Pickle Juice SPORT! :) Not sure what they do to it, but I think straight pickle juice might be harsher. But if you can tolerate it, then go for it!
Quote Reply
Re: Hamstring cramp EVERY RACE!! [dmacandcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you guys for all the helpful replies. I am going to look into a few of them for sure! at least now i know....

i need more bike fitness
i might need a bike fitting
i should probably pace the bike leg better (power meter will help that area i think)
pickle juice tastes as bad as it sounds but i might give it a try
i should probably be doing two very light weight core and legs days a week

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had that happen when my bike seat was a touch high. Not saying yours definitely is, but it's worth investigating.

Quote | Reply
Another comment: Much can be learned from proper peddling of a bike. Chat with a bike fit pro and get on a computrainer too. Learning to peddle is a forgotten art..one reason for the cramping could be your a left legged person...the computrainer can help with that. Another is to see a PT expert and lifting properly to strength train your way to better leg balance.

STIndiana
America Multi-Sport, Inc.
America's Half June 10, 2017
USAT RD Century Club
http://www.americamultisport.com
Quote Reply