Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hamstring Syndrome surgery and treatment
Quote | Reply
Hello, I may be looking at a diagnosis of bilateral hamstring syndrome, where the nerve is trappped in scar tissue around the hamstring or quadratus femoris. I have read about successful surgeries performed for this condition from doctors in Turku, Finland. However, wondering if anyone has heard of US doctors that offer this procedure. It's my understanding the overseas procedure is more for 'hamstring syndrome' specifically, while US docs are doing a more typical hamstring repair surgery, which requires a longer recovery. Others who have had this- was yours detected thru MRI? Diagnostic ultrasound? Any successful recovery stories without surgery? Thanks, Christina
Quote Reply
Re: Hamstring Syndrome surgery and treatment [cmcschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is your (injury/athletic) history that lead up to this?
Low back pain?
Abdominal dysfunction?
Pregnancy? Surgeries?
Prolonged sitting combined with long distance running?
Any particular event or time that you became aware of it?
Quote Reply
Re: Hamstring Syndrome surgery and treatment [cmcschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Christina, the description of your question puts me on pause as you references are not in line with compression/entrapment and/or trauma of the sciatic nerve (HSS) or branches there of. Any surgery around nerve decompression has risk and outcomes, without regard to nerve/location/technique, are not great.

In the case of this particular issue (especially bilateral) is to get specificity on cause, as it would start with the nerve roots (lumber/sacral spine) and work its way down though various soft tissue structures and muscles e.g. piriformis (look up piriformis syndrome and find distinction of your issue). On the continuum, I would put surgery at the very bottom of the list.

Need a ton more information and even with that would suggest trying to land a physician (sports medicine or rehabilitation medicine) with experience with this entrapment and how to narrow down cause before walking into a surgeon's office as often times the motto there is "to cut is to cure".

Good Luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Hamstring Syndrome surgery and treatment [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there- I have a history of a right side quadratus femoris tear, possible ischiofemoral impingement on that side. Small hamstring tear at proximal insertion treated with PRP. Pain returned way inner thigh near bone and near external rotators, upper, outer leg three months later, rather than at insertion. Tried PT. Pain actually migrated to anterior right hip/groin; MRI-A showed very small bilateral labral tears but injection did not confirm this as source of pain. Then, with a huge cutback in training, pain has developed in same areas on other leg. I have read about hamstring syndrome, which is why I made the post. Thanks- any suggestions welcome.
Quote Reply