Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hamstring/Groin/Calf injury help
Quote | Reply
I was gearing up to run a spring marathon and out of the blue my calf started to become tight and bothersome on one of my easy runs. I took a few days off and attempted another run. It was still bothering me. I took a few more days off and tried to run again. This time I couldn't even make it a mile without it bothering me. I took a week off running and tried to run again and I couldn't even run a minute without it flaring up. Also, during this most recent attempt (1 min attempt) my hamstring became tight and felt some groin pain/tightness. The calf will ache a few hours post run and it will go away. The achiness and tightness is more deep inside the calf on the inside. (Posterior) So I was thinking it could be the soleus? Any clue on whats going on? I have taken 3 weeks off running so far and its not getting any better. It doesn't feel like its bone related.
Last edited by: trimac2: Apr 6, 15 12:24
Quote Reply
Re: Hamstring/Groin/Calf injury help [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have any swelling? Calf pain that randomly happens and is deep in the calf.... just make sure you don't have a DVT.
Quote Reply
Re: Hamstring/Groin/Calf injury help [2wheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The hamstring/groin part of injury is long gone. However, I can't seem to run without the calf (inner part of leg...soleus area midway up lower leg) tightening up after about 0.5 mile into run. I have to stop. I haven't run for 4 weeks except a few test runs/walks. Is this just a strain that isn't healing? Or do I have a stress fx or compartment syndrome? I can hop on it with no pain and I can palpitate the tibia bone with no pain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great question, hard to say. I hate going to doctors but 4 weeks of no running would bring me to a doctor. Hopefully you have someone near you who is a sports medicine person that can check it out for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go see someone... I had something going on last year and it turns out I just needed to stretch more. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Hamstring/Groin/Calf injury help [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My PT doesn't think its a stress fx but just a muscle strain that is slow to heal. But it seems odd that impact aggravates it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you looked into strengthening with eccentric heel drops? Worked for me when i had sore soleus. Also before running i always do sets of dynamic calf work. Walking on balls of feet at three different angles then walking on heels at different angles. Wakes up all the calf muscles before running.

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hamstring/Groin/Calf injury help [DFWTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't been dedicated to the eccentric heel drops yet. I guess I will be going forward. I did another test run and still feel it in the calf muscle on the inner side of leg midway up. It definitely feels like muscle not bone related. Gosh at this point I'm wondering if this season might be done for me. I guess I will be a good cyclist and swimmer in the mean time. These were my weaknesses anyways. I just never imagined a muscle strain would take this long!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any chance you're dealing with a medial gastroc strain? http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/91687-overview

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Re: Hamstring/Groin/Calf injury help [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnpostmd wrote:
Any chance you're dealing with a medial gastroc strain? http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/91687-overview

John

Nope its more near the soleus. Or where you would see posterior shin splits. But it's definitely not shin splits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crazy things do happen.....I was able to run back to back days (2.5 and 2 miles) without any issues. It was like nothing ever happened. The only things I can think of is that I changed my cleats a little on shoes and lowered the seat. We will see how it does later in the week. Taking it easy coming back to running.
Quote Reply