Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hammerhead Karoo jawn vs. Garmin next gen (i.e. 1030)
Quote | Reply
There's a slick new Android-based head unit coming called Hammerhead Karoo, and it looks killer. I really don't see how Garmin will successfully defend its market share over the next four or five years, given how bad the units are for any kind of advanced use case, and the new 1030 looks like lipstick on a pig once again. I don't know if Wahoo wins or someone else, but I think the company that wins is the company with the best software engineering behind it. And that is decidedly not Garmin.

Has anyone besides Ray been up close with this Karoo device?
Quote Reply
Re: Hammerhead Karoo jawn vs. Garmin next gen (i.e. 1030) [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If someone didn't already know you were from Philly, your use of the word "jawn" gives it away. I applaud it.
Quote Reply
Re: Hammerhead Karoo jawn vs. Garmin next gen (i.e. 1030) [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've often wondered when there would be something like a Waze App for cycling - and apparently that is what the Hammerhead unit is.

What I often want to know is - I'm here at place-X and I want to ride to Place-Y. The Waze App for driving tells me the best and fastest roads to take to so that while driving. Surely there could be something similar for cycling that will tell me how to get from X to Y on the best roads to ride on?

All the other stuff - Power, etc . . I really don't care about. What I want is a cycling specific navigation, while I am cycling.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a touchscreen bike computer retailing at $300+ that still requires me to carry a $300+ android phone? Fuck that. As buggy as my 520 edge is, it is backed by the endless replacement warranty from Garmin, with a sub $200 price point to boot and none of that touchscreen idiocy.

Now if Apple ever gets serious about this market...

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Hammerhead Karoo jawn vs. Garmin next gen (i.e. 1030) [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if it is true but rumors are that Apple is very interested in Polar.
Quote Reply
Re: Hammerhead Karoo jawn vs. Garmin next gen (i.e. 1030) [HomerJSimpson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are all also rumoured to release a watch that will not need a phone connection - https://www.bloomberg.com/...to-break-iphone-ties

Quote Reply
Re: Hammerhead Karoo jawn vs. Garmin next gen (i.e. 1030) [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As an aside, I have an ancient Samsung Gear S that has a sim card, can originate and receive calls, etc. I keep wifi turned off, as it seems an unnecessary battery drain, but 3g and BT turned on. If there was a working fitness tracking app for that platform, I would have sold my Garmin gear a long time ago as all of my HRMs and PMs are now BT capable.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
It's a touchscreen bike computer retailing at $300+ that still requires me to carry a $300+ android phone? Fuck that. As buggy as my 520 edge is, it is backed by the endless replacement warranty from Garmin, with a sub $200 price point to boot and none of that touchscreen idiocy.

Now if Apple ever gets serious about this market...

I don't think it requires you to carry a phone, where did you see that?
Quote Reply
Re: Hammerhead Karoo jawn vs. Garmin next gen (i.e. 1030) [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For Strava integration it does.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You ever get a hammerhead? Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Hammerhead Karoo jawn vs. Garmin next gen (i.e. 1030) [TNTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Something tells me kileyay isn't going to reply ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Hammerhead Karoo jawn vs. Garmin next gen (i.e. 1030) [TNTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one that I got second hand for $150. Let me know if you have any questions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought one during their risk free, good price Black Friday sale and got it today. I was really excited about it and how it seemed to combine the best of the 530 and 830 Garmins. I HATE the touchscreen. Whomever designed it never used it outside in the rain or with gloves or with sweat. (I mean who sweats during a workout anyways...)

So I decided to try it. Nope. I must have missed the size and weight. I would need a front basket on my bike to carry it. No way it’s fitting between my aero bars. Not even going to turn it on. So big and heavy. So heavy. So big.

I really was looking forward to it. Now it’s back to choosing the preferred 530 but no mapping and the horrible touchscreen 830 with mapping. And mapping meaning being able to put in a destination during ride.
Last edited by: Jnags7: Dec 7, 19 2:57
Quote Reply
Re: Hammerhead Karoo jawn vs. Garmin next gen (i.e. 1030) [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jnags7 wrote:
And mapping meaning being able to put in a destination during ride.
The only way you are going to get usable destination entry is with touch screen. Have you tried the 830? The 820 touch screen was horrible. But the 1030 is fantastic. If the 830 got the goodness from its big brother (which I have read it did), then it should be pretty good.

I use a 1030 on my road bike and a 530 on my TT bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Hammerhead Karoo jawn vs. Garmin next gen (i.e. 1030) [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went with 530. First lower cost and no touchscreen. Second I don’t actually need to put a random address in the middle of a ride often. I took the risk of leaving that capability out. Think I’ll be ok. I really wish the Hammerhead wasn’t so big! I was really excited about it and so disappointed when I opened the box.
Quote Reply
Re: Hammerhead Karoo jawn vs. Garmin next gen (i.e. 1030) [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jnags7 wrote:
I went with 530. First lower cost and no touchscreen. Second I don’t actually need to put a random address in the middle of a ride often.
Those are the exact same reasons I chose the 530 for my TT bike. I love the 1030, but no way it will fit on my TT bike. The touch screen UI is a zillion times better, so sometimes I regret not having chosen the 830, but only briefly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol, it’s like having an ipad on front of your bike.
Quote Reply