Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Halo Sport at $549
Quote | Reply
Has anyone used these before? They have an anniversary sale for $200 off and I was curious to hear people's feedback.
Quote Reply
Re: Halo Sport at $549 [mpampin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got them, hard to tell if they help but one thing is certain, the sensor pads are a PITA.
I cannot recommend buying them.
Quote Reply
Re: Halo Sport at $549 [bikecritic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I learned of Halo through Travis McCabe and Eric Marcotte, both pro cyclists. Greg Henderson, with more than a decade on the World Tour and adviser to McCabe was one of the first to use it. I use these names, as they are synonymous with clean sport and smarter than a bunch of whips..... always searching for the the latest in physical and mental gains.

With this, I purchased my units last year. There are times where I have them out on loan and after a while realize there is a missing component in my routine. I simply do the routine the above cyclists forwarded on: Core work and stretching prior to each ride. It is a noticeable difference in how my entire system operates using the Halo, compared to not.

It is my belief that manipulating the brain is where the gains are. We have trained and own the fastest wheels etc. I think there is a lot of meat left on the bone in just recruiting different parts of the brain. On an entire different topic, I am in the pool everyday doing hypoxic training in the pool. I always say that I have a bunch of tools in my box for performance and recovery, including weekly massage and acupuncture and I will always say that my pool routine is the best.

I wished that I had been offered the $549 cost, because I could have purchased 3 of them. PT Approved!

PT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Complete garbage and just another way for well heeled triathletes to throw away money.

There is ZERO evidence this device does anything of benefit and those who"report" gains have zero evidence that the dede di anything to affect their performance. Sure sure they'll cite some research on their site but that does not apply to this device.

At what point do we start to hold these snake oil salespeople to a higher standard and demand proof. First is was vibrating water molecules and now this.

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No fucking way are these worth $549 based on some "studies" that they cited. I wouldn't even pay $100 for these gimmick headphones.
Quote Reply
Re: Halo Sport at $549 [layaway tay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
layaway tay wrote:
No fucking way are these worth $549 based on some "studies" that they cited. I wouldn't even pay $100 for these gimmick headphones.

I had thought the OP was talking about the "Halo Swim Bench" LOL!
Quote Reply
Re: Halo Sport at $549 [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've spent the last few days researching this more and appreciate all the replies to my question. I looked more in depth, and see there is a lot of science behind tDCS (Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation)..... In fact, thousands of papers.

Plus Tim O'Donnell and Sarah Piampiano use it, and I'm quite confident that they can beat all of you.
Last edited by: mpampin: Sep 26, 17 20:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go ahead and waste money then

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mpampin wrote:
I've spent the last few days researching this more and appreciate all the replies to my question. I looked more in depth, and see there is a lot of science behind tDCS (Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation)..... In fact, thousands of papers.

Plus Tim O'Donnell and Sarah Piampiano use it, and I'm quite confident that they can beat all of you.

So you create a Slowtwitch account just to ask about Halo, then with your second post you answer your own question and you expect us to think what exactly??? Honestly, after Sarah Piampiano claimed her Zone3 wetsuit was 6 seconds faster per 100 than other wetsuits I pretty much lost faith in nearly every pro athlete's ability to fairly pitch the products of their sponsors. I don't care if you help add some color and advertise, but 6 seconds faster, that is just down right deceitful without providing a loose protocol of what was done.

Nonetheless, I would be more sold on the thousands of papers than a pro triathlete recommendation. Whether and athlete can beat someone or not is not relevant without knowing their talent level. I am more interested in seeing a less talented athlete meet 100% of their potential than a more talented athlete reach only 90%.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Halo Sport at $549 [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know how to reply to that. Good luck with your racing, training, or simply spending your time posting on forums. Not sure what your motivations are either. I was merely seeking advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great article on the technology used and why they are outrageously expensive on similar item here...

http://bgr.com/2015/06/19/beats-by-dre-headphones-trick-illusion-luxury-premium/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen a good number of the studies on tdcs... and most of them agree it does "something," but Halo stretches those claims pretty far... I've not seen a study that does more than suggest it "may" have an impact on performance in elite athletes. (although I've not viewed an exhaustive list... I'd be glad to see a link to a paper that suggests more from an impartial source)

The general opinion is that it doesn't do any harm, and there is the possibility that it *could* have a benefit. If you've got $550 to gamble with, you'll know for yourself whether you think it works or not.

also* Don't use pro athletes results/whether they can beat someone to further your argument... Tim O'D could beat us listening to Lou Bega on repeat, that doesn't mean it's a performance enhancer.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Halo Sport at $549 [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I studied this in depth and was able to uncover a much less expensive way to accomplish the same thing.

Quote Reply
Re: Halo Sport at $549 [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
I studied this in depth and was able to uncover a much less expensive way to accomplish the same thing.

Plus the end result is this:

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, but to be fair, that's probably not because they use halo.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because they were slow and never won a race before Halo Sport? TO is just trying to get paid son.
Last edited by: layaway tay: Sep 27, 17 6:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Found a recent article and https://www.frontiersin.org/...nhum.2017.00243/full

It basically says "it remains to be conclusively determined whether it can improve sports performance at an elite level."

So if you are an "elite" level athlete you "might" get a performance boost if you are using a protocol in a laboratory, which is what most of them say.

Might be better to do a round of EPO

My Blog of Me
Quote Reply
Re: Halo Sport at $549 [swimcrankpush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimcrankpush wrote:
Found a recent article and https://www.frontiersin.org/...nhum.2017.00243/full

It basically says "it remains to be conclusively determined whether it can improve sports performance at an elite level."

So if you are an "elite" level athlete you "might" get a performance boost if you are using a protocol in a laboratory, which is what most of them say.

Might be better to do a round of EPO

Geez...so, an opinion article (not peer reviewed) whose senior author is on the board for a half dozen of these companies plants this nugget:
Quote:
it seems likely that tDCS will continue to be explored by competitive athletes looking for that elusive edge.

Guess what? Rigorous research does not sound like Lava magazine copy.

This is just a lame article which basically gives nothing but begs for more studies to validate its author's interests.

Halo is a great way to waste $500 and get nothing in return.
Quote Reply
Re: Halo Sport at $549 [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:

Halo is a great way to waste $500 and get nothing in return.

Recently had a conversation with a close friend who is the owner of a company that creates and manufactures biofeedback, neurofeedback and psychophysiological instruments for the past 35+ years.
I showed him the Halo online....he laughed....a lot..... :)
Quote Reply
Re: Halo Sport at $549 [bikecritic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bikecritic wrote:
I've got them, hard to tell if they help but one thing is certain, the sensor pads are a PITA.
I cannot recommend buying them.

I can't say if they work or not, but I tried them at WC70.3 this year in Chattanooga. It did take about 20min of fiddling to eventually get the sensors to work on my head. I'm not sure I wanna waste 20min of my time every time I would wear these. Pass for me, especially at that price.
Quote Reply
Re: Halo Sport at $549 [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm holding out for the Halo/Training Mask combo so I can run around looking like Bane.
Quote Reply