Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Half ironman done - how to improve
Quote | Reply
Howdy!
Long time lurker here. Last Sunday I finally decided to drop the monkey from my back and complete first ever triathlon.

Since I'm fairly competitive I'd like to improve my time for the next year.
I did following splits, obviously I need to improve swimming quite a lot but it will happen.
Running? How much can I improve? I have record of 3:01:27 in marathon.
Cycling? I have ftp 365w but due to new bike I only averaged 265w in this on.

Swim 00:36:20 00:36:20

T1 00:39:43 00:03:22

Bike 3,4km 00:45:23 00:05:40

Bike 45km01:48:53 01:03:30

Bike 86,6km 02:54:42 01:05:48

Bike 90km 03:00:10 02:20:27

T2 03:02:28 00:02:18

Run 10km 03:47:12 00:44:43

Run 20km 04:32:58 00:45:45

Run 21.1km 04:38:32 01:36:03

Quote Reply
Re: Half ironman done - how to improve [TurboKoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How to improve? Keep doing whatever you've been doing to go 4:38 in your first HIM (then tell us)! Nice work!
Quote Reply
Re: Half ironman done - how to improve [hullcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel this thread has potential to go negative fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Half ironman done - how to improve [blazeworth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good shot at your first attempt.

Fair criticism. Depending on your overall training load, you under biked.... by a LOT! IF that's really your FTP... depending on your size/weight, you should be closer to 310 Watts and riding splits around 2:06-2:15 and pretty much having the best split in your age group.... depending on how aero your are, course, conditions and set-up. You FTP is pretty well equal or better most of the solid pro triathletes.... again depending on your size. And... if your aero sucks, then it doesn't make much diffrence how much power you make. Based on 265W... if its' a flatter course, your probably have some low hanging fruit. Probably 2-3' off the pace at that wattage. I've ridden 2:09-2:17 (depending on the course) on less watts than that.

As you know, comparing your split to others, you need to work on your swim and run.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on your marathon PR, and then your run split here, I'd say you overbiked this race. How have you established that your FTP is 365W? What is your weight?
Quote Reply
Re: Half ironman done - how to improve [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the quick answers.

Just a little background information:
I'm former professional cyclist
Age 34
Weight 70kg
Height 178cm
FTP has been measured with SRM 7900&PC7 and done with road bike.
I can definitely tell that 2 training rides with TT-bike was not enough to get used to position so I think that was the main reason for low power.

I really need to work on my running after cycling since now, there wasn't any running.

photo of the position
http://bullseye.kuvat.fi/...oilla+1500px-238.jpg
Quote Reply
Re: Half ironman done - how to improve [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
Based on your marathon PR, and then your run split here, I'd say you overbiked this race. How have you established that your FTP is 365W? What is your weight?

I disagree... a 3:01 marathon does put him in the 1:29-1:32 range... but there's a huge "it depends" based on his current overall fitness and quality of the marathon plan /training and his marathon pacing. I'd rather see his open 1/2 marathon time as a better indicator. If he really overbiked, his run splits would be wider and he would have run in the 1:40's. I think over biking creeps up with you later in the run, not immediately. But then again, I haven't over biked badly in a while. I was sooooo tempted to do it intentionally at my last "B" race jsut ot see what would happen.

Again, if FTP is really 365... he WAYYY under biked...but almost 40 Watts and probably 5-8 minutes depending on his equipment and aero-ness.

I do think his run might indicate execution issues, and a 36:00 swimmer probably burned dramatically more energy than a 29:00 swimmer.... more than the 7 minute indicates.

Overall, I'm curious what his training looks like now. That might indicate how far he is from his potential. a 1:36 doesn't scream natural runner unfortunately or someone with a broad running background.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Half ironman done - how to improve [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only do cycling as my training.

This year I have been swimming for less than 10 times and have roughly 200k of running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TurboKoo wrote:
I only do cycling as my training.

This year I have been swimming for less than 10 times and have roughly 200k of running.

OK, you are asking how to improve then post that you swam 10 times and only ran 200k??? I think you pretty much answered your own question. But, if you haven't figured it out....there are 3 events in triathlon, perhaps you should train all 3.

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, I'm sure you know this already, but you're already fast. I know its a different course, but if you were a woman racing in hawaii you would've tied for 4th with Magali Tisseyre, so you've got that going for you.

You might already know this as a former pro cyclist (MTB?), but SOME of the muscles used on TT bike are very different than those used on a Roadie - even more so for a triathlon fit, I reckon. In fact, I ride the road bike on the trainer all winter in prep for a road race in April, and then I switch to the Tri bike almost full time for the entire summer through september.

When I make that switch in the spring, my tri bike FTP is about 20-25% less than my road bike FTP. However this corrects after about a month on the tri bike to the point where my tri FTP is where my road bike FTP is.

Intrestingly enough when I am at that lower wattage, its the legs that hold me back, as my legs are screaming, but my HR is in the nice tempo zone. So I dont know if this is a mental thing or a physical thing - either way its reality for me.

Bottom line - get on the tri bike exclusively (pull your road group around) and get some swim lessons.

- Pete

Luckily my over eating disorder is offset by my over exercising disorder
Quote Reply
Re: Half ironman done - how to improve [Big-Pete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big-Pete wrote:
So, I'm sure you know this already, but you're already fast. I know its a different course, but if you were a woman racing in hawaii you would've tied for 4th with
Magali Tisseyre, so you've got that going for you.

You might already know this as a former pro cyclist (MTB?), but SOME of the muscles used on TT bike are very different than those used on a Roadie - even more so for a triathlon fit, I reckon. In fact, I ride the road bike on the trainer all winter in prep for a road race in April, and then I switch to the Tri bike almost full time for the entire summer through september.

When I make that switch in the spring, my tri bike FTP is about 20-25% less than my road bike FTP. However this corrects after about a month on the tri bike to the point where my tri FTP is where my road bike FTP is.

Intrestingly enough when I am at that lower wattage, its the legs that hold me back, as my legs are screaming, but my HR is in the nice tempo zone. So I dont know if this is a mental thing or a physical thing - either way its reality for me.

Bottom line - get on the tri bike exclusively (pull your road group around) and get some swim lessons.

That is most likely a issue with your bike fit. It s my job to position athletes properly on bikes and the fit of a road bike to a tri bike is extremely similar. You are using the same muscle in a very close to almost identical way. All we do is rotate you around the bottom bracket without having to change much your hip/torso angle. biggest adaptation is the weight on arms and head/neck to look forward. But having a 20-25% difference in FTP between both bike points to a issue in your fit. Plenty of article/post by rappstar and slowman that explain in more details what i m saying.

10% in FTP difference would be more in line with someone in aero position vs roady on the hood climbing....

Getting on the tri bike exclusively isn't something needed for a athlete that as already got a good bike fit on both bike. while specificity still apply in key sessions etc... you can train very effectively on both bikes to improve and get faster.

I would be curious to see the OP bike position from a side pic as the angle he shows doest show us how slack/steep is actually rides.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply