Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Had a crash, Upgrading on a budget questions
Quote | Reply
Was hit by a drunk scooterist and got $2500 back from the guy.

Had a Specialized 2010 tarmac pro 1/2 dura-ace 1/2 ultegra
Broke- Frame, Rear Wheel, Rear Brake, Cassete, Rear Derailleur

$2500
Would like to get a new frame, ultegra 6800 (maybe just a mini group), and a crank-based power meter?
I am happy buying used but is this reasonable goal?

If any body has tips or anything useful to tell me, I'm all ears, thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Had a crash, Upgrading on a budget questions [shikailun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shikailun wrote:
Was hit by a drunk scooterist and got $2500 back from the guy.

Had a Specialized 2010 tarmac pro 1/2 dura-ace 1/2 ultegra
Broke- Frame, Rear Wheel, Rear Brake, Cassete, Rear Derailleur

$2500
Would like to get a new frame, ultegra 6800 (maybe just a mini group), and a crank-based power meter?
I am happy buying used but is this reasonable goal?

If any body has tips or anything useful to tell me, I'm all ears, thanks in advance.

Might not be what you want to hear, but take a long hard look at the Specialized Allez Expert. Same geometry as the Tarmac. Lot of my friends have Tarmacs and have had a couple of them comment after riding my bike that they were going to get one as a backup bike or next time they get a new bike.

Ask yourself behind the hype what you are looking to get out of the bike. You lose about a pound and some vertical compliance I guess, but not much (unless I'm just magically immune to the harsh ride some people claim aluminum has riding around 10-12hrs a week through summer). I also think it is stiffer torsionally although you'd never hear Specialized publish the numbers. You may/may not care about sprinting, but although I'm not special, throwing 1500-1600 watts at 180lbs it takes it like a champ and bike takes off unlike some wet noodles I've been on. Unless I have money burning a hole in my pocket I don't think I'd buy another carbon road bike to be honest....TT bike different story because of the shapes.

It will get you very close to your target budget and is a bike with geometry that you know works for you. FWIW, I went the Stages route on an Ultegra crank and am happy with it. Measures very similar to my old powertap wheel I got rid of.

Just my 2 cents.
Quote Reply
Re: Had a crash, Upgrading on a budget questions [shikailun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make friends with a Cat 2 bike racer or someone who works in a bike shop. Or at least someone who can put you in touch with someone like that. After I destroyed a bike, I got a 1 year old bike with Di2 for $2500. That is what the racers pay new and there is usually someone around happy to sell to someone else every year or so to put the cash back into this year's model, particularly if you come recommended and are "in need" ;-)

It really does pay off in the long run to be a regular at the weekly group rides and make some friends . . . .
Quote Reply