Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HTFU Question...
Quote | Reply
I have charity ride scheduled for tomorrow... about 90 miles or so. Doing it with two novice riders... and not planning on leaving them.

Forecast is 70% chance of rain... with a 15mph head wind. My fellow riders are sort of on the fence about doing it. Not sure they want to make their fist long ride a "mess". I personally don't care...

Would you do it??
Quote Reply
Re: HTFU Question... [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
I have charity ride scheduled for tomorrow... about 90 miles or so. Doing it with two novice riders... and not planning on leaving them.

Forecast is 70% chance of rain... with a 15mph head wind. My fellow riders are sort of on the fence about doing it. Not sure they want to make their fist long ride a "mess". I personally don't care...

Would you do it??

Charity, meaning you have already accepted money for donations? If so, ride.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: HTFU Question... [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Donzo98 wrote:

Would you do it??

I am donating money... not accepting it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:

Would you do it??
Make sure they have adequate wet/cold weather gear (gloves/rain shell/tights/booties, some or all dependent on temperature) and then it should be OK to be out for 5-6 hours. Make sure you have enough nutrition and drinks.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Donzo98 wrote:

Would you do it??

I would then donate the money and wuss out. :o)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
also doing a charity ride on sunday with a crappy forecast. I'm hoping it won't rain at least but will likely still go so I can hammer on some roadies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the novice riders are apprehensive, time to tap out.

Novice riders in tough conditions is one thing.

Novice riders lacking confidence in tough conditions sounds like a collar bone to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say do it, it will be good training at the least - for you and them. If you drop out, then they'll probably drop for sure. If you go, you might have a better time than you think - and the beer at the end will be soooooo good.

I've done this exact scenario before - and one of the riders (there were two) that was able to stay on my wheel became a lifelong tri riding / training buddy. (over 15 years ago)

good luck, and dress warm. Wet & cold sucks more than wet and warm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skip and do an indoor intense ride.
Quote Reply
Re: HTFU Question... [Run For Money] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it sounded like a fun route and the rain wasn't horrible, I'd do it regardless of the others. A little rain does not bother me if I have the right gear.

If it's going to be cold pissing down rain, then that's a crummy way to spend the weekend and I would not do it. Additionally, the other poster is right - if you are with novices, you are likely going to be picking yourself or one of them up off the floor sometime during that ride which is no fun.

j
Quote Reply
Re: HTFU Question... [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Donzo98 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Donzo98 wrote:

Would you do it??

I would then donate the money and wuss out. :o)

+1

If it were a mountain bike event I'd do it since weather is irrelevant. I wouldn't want to be on the road in those conditions. I don't trust drivers in sunny broad daylight conditions. Zero trust in rain.

Quote | Reply
40% chance of rain until 1... and we should be there by then...

We are doing it... I'm prepared to do all the pulling.

Will keep you posted :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:

Good man.
You'll stay warmer up front, not sucking spray and doing all/most of the work.

I did a Tour de Cure century in Buffalo back in the day that was 50's and pissing rain all day.
I took a LOT of pulls, since I needed to warm up, and was sick of getting doused by roostertails of road spray from the bike(s) in front of me.
We crushed it, and rode 103m in like 4:50 or something like that.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: HTFU Question... [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Donzo98 wrote:

Good man.
You'll stay warmer up front, not sucking spray and doing all/most of the work.

I did a Tour de Cure century in Buffalo back in the day that was 50's and pissing rain all day.
I took a LOT of pulls, since I needed to warm up, and was sick of getting doused by roostertails of road spray from the bike(s) in front of me.
We crushed it, and rode 103m in like 4:50 or something like that.

We won't be nearly that fast... especially with 10-15 mph headwind. Honestly, you are a beast!!

Just hoping my DI2 stuff is all good in the rain. I have ridden 10 speed DI2 in torrential downpours and it's been fine... so I assume the 11 speed should be just as hearty.
Quote Reply
Re: HTFU Question... [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did it... :)

NO RAIN :)....

10-15mph headwind... pulled for 77 miles straight.

Happy to be home...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good for you. How did your other riders make out?

I'm on the other coast, went to the the Stanford/Army game. I saw in Newsday that the weather was terrible yesterday.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:

Would you do it??

But a 30% chance of a beautiful day :)

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: HTFU Question... [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:

I'm on the other coast, went to the the Stanford/Army game. I saw in Newsday that the weather was terrible yesterday.

My PA did fine... no issues. My secretary (you met her) was suffering badly on the last half... we rode from East Islip to Montauk. She followed my wheel fantastically well on the first 40. Super proud of her. Charity ride for two families in need that live in Islip. 77 miles total.

Really unusual to have an east wind this time of year unless there is a storm brewing. Weather was basically perfect. I rented a van for us to come home in, so we didn't have to make our spouses drive all the way out east. We got there... had pizza and beer. We got in the van... and it was pouring on us 20 minutes into the ride home :) CRAZY good luck...

It was fun helping them do their first long ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
Sweeney wrote:

My PA did fine... no issues. My secretary (you met her) was suffering badly on the last half... we rode from East Islip to Montauk. She followed my wheel fantastically well on the first 40. Super proud of her. Charity ride for two families in need that live in Islip. 77 miles total.

Really unusual to have an east wind this time of year unless there is a storm brewing. Weather was basically perfect. I rented a van for us to come home in, so we didn't have to make our spouses drive all the way out east. We got there... had pizza and beer. We got in the van... and it was pouring on us 20 minutes into the ride home :) CRAZY good luck...

Chapeau sir

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: HTFU Question... [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scofflaw wrote:
Donzo98 wrote:
Sweeney wrote:

Chapeau sir

Thanks!! It was a great day all the way around...

Raised money... helped my "team"on their first long ride... had a blast... and had great weather. AWESOME!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
scofflaw wrote:
Donzo98 wrote:
Sweeney wrote:

Chapeau sir

Thanks!! It was a great day all the way around...

Raised money... helped my "team"on their first long ride... had a blast... and had great weather. AWESOME!!!

Congratulations to all three of you! Great job!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply