Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
HR monitor chest straps-are they going to be replaced by wrist monitors?
Quote | Reply
New technology (pulse ox monitors have used this for quite some time) already employed by activity trackers such as "Fitbit" are using wrist monitors to track heart rate. In short a sensor on the back of a wrist unit beam a light into the blood vessels. Changes in blood volume that occur each time your heart beats are picked up by detecting how much light your blood vessels reflect back. Less light means a higher blood volume. That said, noise from outdoor lighting, muscle and tendon motion can cause interference. Thus the need for algorithms.

Any one have first hand experience with these new monitors during your activities? I'm assuming the ladies would highly embrace such technology opposed to wearing chest straps that might be so uncomfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: HR monitor chest straps-are they going to be replaced by wrist monitors? [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Annecdotally I've heard they aren't quite there yet. I have a weird shaped chest that doesn't play well with the strap, so I can't wait for the tech to get consistant (and cheap).

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: HR monitor chest straps-are they going to be replaced by wrist monitors? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it's part of the watch, I am IN, but if it is another piece of gear to wear on the other wrist (or same wrist), that seems like a pain in the ass that is not really fruitful (if the chest strap works for you).

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: HR monitor chest straps-are they going to be replaced by wrist monitors? [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had excellent results with my Mio Link. I know, others have not been as impressed.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: HR monitor chest straps-are they going to be replaced by wrist monitors? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also the option of the LifeBEAM helmet.
I wonder how those work and if it will spread to more helmets.
Quote Reply
Re: HR monitor chest straps-are they going to be replaced by wrist monitors? [Jim Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim Martin wrote:
If it's part of the watch, I am IN, but if it is another piece of gear to wear on the other wrist (or same wrist), that seems like a pain in the ass that is not really fruitful (if the chest strap works for you).

It is part of the activity tracker and not a separate piece. Do a search for activity trackers and some feature this technology.
Quote Reply
Re: HR monitor chest straps-are they going to be replaced by wrist monitors? [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chest straps will probably be more accurate and they aren't foolproof even now. Sunscreen and other spooge are more likely to get under a wristband, so I can't image them ever being as accurate.

However, given that HR is only a relative measure of performance (hydration and a ton of other factors can affect HR significantly), killer accuracy probably isn't that important.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The issue with putting an optical HR module into a watch will be battery drain. Sure, eliminating the ANT+/BT transmission will save a lot of juice, but still, those blinky LEDs will put a too-high drain on the already struggling watch battery.
So, mio and scosche have optical straps that you'd need to wear in addition to the watch (like chest straps). I get way better results with the scosche than I ever did with garmin straps. I put it up between the bicep and shoulder muscles. It can also go on the wrist, but I don't like it there. It says it'll last 8 hours on the battery, which is annoying, but enough. I simply charge it at the same time as my other garmin stuff.
I don't see them replacing chest straps simply due to the fast draining batteries. They are an awesome alternative.
As for sport bra/hr strap discomfort. I know a few companies make sport bras with the strap built in. You would just clip on your transmitter pod. That seems like a pretty great solution.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One issue that will need to be solved (other than the already-mentioned battery life) is that these things need to be worn fairly tight so they don't get light-contaminated from outside. Not everyone wants to wear something that tight on their wrist.

I have gotten used to the chest strap, and that battery lasts well over a year on a single CR2032, so until I can see a demonstrated that the optical devices prove superior I don't see much need to change.
Quote Reply
Re: HR monitor chest straps-are they going to be replaced by wrist monitors? [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
I have had excellent results with my Mio Link. I know, others have not been as impressed.

My only complaint with the MioLink is the battery life of 8 hours. Other than that I love it!

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: HR monitor chest straps-are they going to be replaced by wrist monitors? [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

As for sport bra/hr strap discomfort. I know a few companies make sport bras with the strap built in. You would just clip on your transmitter pod. That seems like a pretty great solution-

I can't speak for the ladies. However, those on triathlon club have frequent complaints about this issue even with what is stated above.
Quote Reply
Re: HR monitor chest straps-are they going to be replaced by wrist monitors? [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mio Link didn't work well for my try running at all - or stationary bike (although better). Tried both wrists - various positions etc.....

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: HR monitor chest straps-are they going to be replaced by wrist monitors? [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
Karl wrote:

My only complaint with the MioLink is the battery life of 8 hours. Other than that I love it!

Mine keeps dropping the BTLE connection when biking. Hope they provide a firmware patch to increase antenna power (even if the battery life drops a bit).
Got it due to chafing with my chest strap HRM, but as the OP mentioned seems not quite ready for prime time yet.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: HR monitor chest straps-are they going to be replaced by wrist monitors? [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Fitbit Charge HR supposedly has a battery life of up to 5 days. As above, I've heard the accuracy isn't as good as a chest strap right now, particularly when exercising, but certainly seems like battery life shouldn't be a deal-breaker.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't there also a problem with skin pigmentation?
I read that with darker skins, these optical HR monitors aren't too reliable

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
New technology (pulse ox monitors have used this for quite some time) already employed by activity trackers such as "Fitbit" are using wrist monitors to track heart rate. In short a sensor on the back of a wrist unit beam a light into the blood vessels. Changes in blood volume that occur each time your heart beats are picked up by detecting how much light your blood vessels reflect back. Less light means a higher blood volume. That said, noise from outdoor lighting, muscle and tendon motion can cause interference. Thus the need for algorithms.

Any one have first hand experience with these new monitors during your activities? I'm assuming the ladies would highly embrace such technology opposed to wearing chest straps that might be so uncomfortable.

In addition to battery life, the wrist mounted optical sensors do not do beat to beat heart rate variability. Personally that is not a negative to me because I am unconvinced of the utility of HRV for workout planning, but some like to use that feature.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Re: HR monitor chest straps-are they going to be replaced by wrist monitors? [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been using a Mio Link for 4 months now.

It works perfectly in all sports for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
New technology (pulse ox monitors have used this for quite some time)

We actually presented a poster abstract at a regional ACSM conference this past fall on the comparison between a GE CASE EKG, the Polar HR monitor, and a finger tip pulse ox. Our TM protocol was the USAFSAM.

BLUF- for submaximal levels, a pulse ox is related, however once the intensity gets above 80-85%, the artifact becomes too great, and has increased errors in accuracy measurement.

There are correction equations that can be created, but until technology improves, appendage mounted HR values are suspect for interval paces and above.

http://www.reathcon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When my cardiologist stops using chest sensors for checking my heart, so will I.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
Karl wrote:

Maybe the watch is fine and you're just dead? You could still be dreaming. :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: HR monitor chest straps-are they going to be replaced by wrist monitors? [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Usually by the time the MioLink in dead I wish I was :P

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: HR monitor chest straps-are they going to be replaced by wrist monitors? [Rob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rob wrote:
Quote:
New technology (pulse ox monitors have used this for quite some time)

We actually presented a poster abstract at a regional ACSM conference this past fall on the comparison between a GE CASE EKG, the Polar HR monitor, and a finger tip pulse ox. Our TM protocol was the USAFSAM.

BLUF- for submaximal levels, a pulse ox is related, however once the intensity gets above 80-85%, the artifact becomes too great, and has increased errors in accuracy measurement.

There are correction equations that can be created, but until technology improves, appendage mounted HR values are suspect for interval paces and above.

Nobody uses fingertip pulse ox for training. I would be interested in seeing some data on the Scoshe or Mio or other devices that people actually use.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I received a Scoshe Rythmn+ for Christmas and love it. It has been used 3-5 times a week since then and has never dropped a workout or given me the 60 second flatline my chest strap liked to provide. It appears to match gym equipment though with a quicker response to changes.

Cheers, Alan
Quote Reply
Re: HR monitor chest straps-are they going to be replaced by wrist monitors? [daveinmammoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daveinmammoth wrote:
Mio Link didn't work well for my try running at all - or stationary bike (although better). Tried both wrists - various positions etc.....

Dave
same.

Just woldnt talk to my 510 consistently enough. Ended up selling it.
Quote Reply
Re: HR monitor chest straps-are they going to be replaced by wrist monitors? [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True, but the vascular bed under the nail is more exposed than that of the skin around your wrist. If a fingertip pulse oximeter is inaccurate, then it's doubtful any wrist mounted detector will be as accurate.

Doug
Last edited by: dougo: Feb 23, 15 21:21
Quote Reply

Prev Next