Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
HITS Naples....
Quote | Reply
Anyone here doing the race? I'm registering for the half today and curious if anyone else is too?
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Naples.... [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just the Oly; and that is assuming no repeat of last year's shit weather.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mjpwooo wrote:
Anyone here doing the race? I'm registering for the half today and curious if anyone else is too?

since it's past the last price hike and being only an hour and a half away, it'll be a game day decision for me for the oly. weather is unpredictable
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm racing the Half.
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Naples.... [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping we'll not have a front come through the day or two before....

Just need to find a place to stay, and I'm in. If I'm going solo, I'll probably just airbnb a bedroom or something. If the family comes, I'll do a one-night stay somewhere in some hotel around there.

Good to know there are others going.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm coming down from IL. Depending on the weather I may try the half aquabike on Saturday then the sprint on Sunday.
Last edited by: Mark M: Dec 13, 17 11:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m going to do the sprint. I’ve never done a January tri so I’m pretty fired up about racing so early in the year.
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Naples.... [Robert Preston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I are in for the sprint. We'll be staying near the run turn-around and just riding over in the morning. They had bad weather two years in a row. Let's hope it doesn't happen again.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Naples.... [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Define “bad weather.”
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Naples.... [Robert Preston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Robert Preston wrote:
Define “bad weather.”
Last year's weather for the Oly/Sprint was freezing cold; upper 30s and very windy. Instead of racing, I bundled up for an hour run and turned in my chip. Amazingly, they put folks in the water even though it was not swimmable. They kept it close to shore and most folks just waded or dolphin dived the entire (shortened) swim course. Why not get the triathletes all wet before they get on their bikes in freezing weather? I don't regret my decision to bail on that race. Fingers crossed for this year since I still haven't done one HITS race and would like to experience before the series goes by the wayside (seems like half of the original events no longer exist).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mjpwooo wrote:

I (and my sister) did the OLY and Sprint events in 2016 while on a family vacation and had bad weather as well.....temps in the 60's and poured rain most of the day. Much of transition area was under water and a muddy quagmire elsewhere. Seem to remember many of their events just had bad luck with weather conditions. Haven't paid two much attention to HITS in past couple years but seems many of their triathlon events have gone by the wayside. Used to be a well run event under former race director (did the Naples event twice) but company seems to be headed in a different direction?
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Naples.... [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Robert Preston wrote:
Define “bad weather.”
Last year's weather for the Oly/Sprint was freezing cold; upper 30s and very windy. Instead of racing, I bundled up for an hour run and turned in my chip. Amazingly, they put folks in the water even though it was not swimmable. They kept it close to shore and most folks just waded or dolphin dived the entire (shortened) swim course. Why not get the triathletes all wet before they get on their bikes in freezing weather? I don't regret my decision to bail on that race. Fingers crossed for this year since I still haven't done one HITS race and would like to experience before the series goes by the wayside (seems like half of the original events no longer exist).

Maybe I won't go this year and they'll have nice weather :) It's a great venue and a great race but... man... they've had bad luck with the weather the past couple of years.

I don't regret bailing last year either. That was ridiculous. If they'd turned it into a duathlon I would have raced but... go run and dolphin dive through water (zero chance of actually swimming) to get wet and then ride a bike in 30 degree weather and high winds? No thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Naples.... [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to try again this year. Good or bad weather, it will be last HITS event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If ever there was a day and a place to make it a duathlon; last year's Hits sprint and Oly day was the one. 39 degrees, wind howling; I left the condo dressed for a du. With the run and bike going in opposite directions it wound have been so easy to run-bike-run but they announced that the swim was on and then got everyone to the beach in our wetsuits and most of us with no shoes. And then they had us wait around for about an hour. Then they had us walk through the waves for about 200 yards just to make sure that we were frozen. When I got to transition I had a hard time getting my frozen feet into my bike shoes and then had to get someone else to buckle me helmet. These guys have had bad luck with the weather but they have made some of the worst decisions.

They got extremely lucky on Saturday for the long races. I was watching from my balcony about a mile up the beach when they sent everyone into the water; lightning was hitting the ocean all around us. Bad decision for them but they got lucky and it all came off ok.

It's such a nice neighborhood to go visit that we decided to try it again this year. Probably won't sign up again for next year though.

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spot on. Saturday was no great joy either, although admittedly you barely noticed the lightning while swimming. Rain was pretty ridiculous for the bike. broke left hand in crash at about mi 17, making for a long day in the saddle.

Also, they stopped running the shuttle from finish back to Naples before any of the full distance athletes finished. Forced to hitch a ride back into town, 35 mi away. So, if anyone is planning to race the full, make sure that you have transportation back from Ava Maria, set up Uber, or risk being stranded...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for the half. Hoping it is good weather as well, especially since I will be leaving after the race on Saturday to go to Orlando to sherpa my wife at the disney marathon on Sunday.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Naples.... [Savage8778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Long term forecast is calling for a Saturday high around 63, warming by about ten degrees for Sunday.

I’m in for the half and wasn’t too pleased to see this outlook.
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Naples.... [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not racing Naples this year so you guys should have great weather :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:
Long term forecast is calling for a Saturday high around 63, warming by about ten degrees for Sunday.

I’m in for the half and wasn’t too pleased to see this outlook.

I'm looking at Accuweather right now and it says low of 45 with high of 74 on Saturday followed by a low of 53 and high of 76 on Sunday. In short, perfect weather. Let's hope that holds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me too. Looks like it will be coldy woldy, hopefully it won't affect the swim.
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Naples.... [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right now the water is really choppy. It will probably stay that way tomorrow and then turn flat for Sunday when the wind turns around. Still chilly tomorrow, much better for Sunday.

Saw them setting up this morning when I ran by.

Less than perfect, but way better than the last two years.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Per NOAA, Gulf Water at Naples for January is typically 66 degrees but is reading 60.4 this morning. It has been falling all week and I expect it will drop a little more tonight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race start moved to 8am tomorrow.

EDIT: I just checked in... Race start is back on at 7am.....
Last edited by: mjpwooo: Jan 5, 18 11:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck. I'm doing the oly Sunday. Found my polar swim cap last night and put it with my wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not looking good, sick as a dog last night and this morning with a cold that came on like gangbusters yesterday. Thinking about skipping the swim, doing the olympic bike and a 5k run of a workout tomorrow. If I feel as bad as I did this morning, it will be less.

Quote Reply

Prev Next