Quote | Reply
FYI - the price goes up on 12/23.
Anyone else signed up?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hilly Flats Racing

Quote Reply
Re: HITS Marble Falls 2013 [JChapATX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the sprint along with a bunch of co-workers. My first race since 2007ish?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm contemplating it. Already signed up for Lonestar 70.3. Then a college buddy talked me into doing that stupid Tough Mudder outside the following weekend. Not sure if throwing a 70.3 the following weekend would be too much racing & traveling. It's a great deal for all distances though. What distance are you doing?
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Marble Falls 2013 [bricklayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing the half. Should be a good early season fitness test.

Hilly Flats Racing

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking about it... Trying to decide between this and Texas IM 70.3, haven't done either. I did Austin 70.3 this year, how does the Marble Falls race compare to that? At any rate thanks for the heads up about price increase... I noted that a month or so ago but would probably have forgotten.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the sprint last year and might for 2013. Just need
to see how this Armageddon Day works out though.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the olympic last year and really thought the course was a good challenge. There certainly were some limited issues with traffic control but at $50, if you are in the area I wouldn't pass it up.

I won't be attending it this year and instead will be doing one a week later, closer to home.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.westtexasendurance.com - Powered by Brooks, Powerbar and pizza.
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Marble Falls 2013 [runner-x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in for the Olympic - my second race at that distance.

$50 was a no brainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing Galveston HIM on April 7th then will do the MF Oly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Signed up for the Aquabike. Thought it would be a great test prior to IMTX. My EN plan has a 112 mile race rehearsal anyways.

Thanks for the reminder!
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Marble Falls 2013 [hullcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've not done the HITS marble falls race so I can't compare the courses, but the Austin 70.3 has a much bigger crowd unless HITS pulls off a big surprise this year.

Hilly Flats Racing

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up. Even with all the charlie foxtrot that went on this past year, its worth $75 for a half. I'm in.

@davempratt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In for the olympic distance in 2013. Did the half last year; I don't think I have enough time to train for longer distance this year.

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have experience with this bike course?

I briefly drove through Marble Falls in September, and the roads seemed kinda sketchy. The first few miles after the Home Depot parking lot cut-through were excellent. Then, the road became super narrow with pot holes and cattle guards. I'm not too familiar with the area, so I could have made a navigation error.

I was thinking about signing up, but I'm nervous about the roads being too dangerous.
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Marble Falls 2013 [Guero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guero wrote:

I briefly drove through Marble Falls in September, and the roads seemed kinda sketchy. The first few miles after the Home Depot parking lot cut-through were excellent. Then, the road became super narrow with pot holes and cattle guards. I'm not too familiar with the area, so I could have made a navigation error.

I was thinking about signing up, but I'm nervous about the roads being too dangerous.

I only did the sprint this year but your thinking is exactly right. very narrow roads, potholes and cattle guards.

It was not a super big field or it could have been really dangerous. Now I'm wondering why
I'm even considering doing it again.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Marble Falls 2013 [Guero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You were on the right road. Very hilly.

Guero wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: HITS Marble Falls 2013 [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I was afraid of. My bike handling skills are questionable, don't think I need the extra challenge of on-course obstacles. Thanks for the info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In for the sprint.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Marble Falls 2013 [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
Guero wrote:

I only did the sprint this year but your thinking is exactly right. very narrow roads, potholes and cattle guards.

It was not a super big field or it could have been really dangerous. Now I'm wondering why
I'm even considering doing it again.

That's funny because the website makes the bike course look like it's smooth as glass. Good to know!

"Sweep the leg...Do you have a problem with that?" - John Kreese
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Marble Falls 2013 [tdschnei] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kind of resurrecting this I guess but was considering entering as well. It looks like the bike course might have changed this year. Does anyone have input there? I looked on Strava to get an idea of the course and it looked like the bike course was run North of the river whereas according to the map for this year, it is being run South of the river.

2012 bike course on Strava - http://app.strava.com/activities/7626269
2013 bike course from Hits website - http://www.mapmytri.com/routes/view/111475749

I don't mind a little bit of a rough road here and there as long as its not the entire way. Anyone have some input on the new route?
-Shane
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Marble Falls 2013 [Shane_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recognize the first part of the new course, which I believe is the same route that is used by the long-standing Marble Falls triathlon (http://marblefallstri.com/course.html). Decent roads, first 5 miles is a lot of uphill and then it goes into rollers on 71. The profile of the course indicates some more good climbing coming after that... hill training time : ) I don't know about the rest of the roads, so maybe somebody that lives out that way can provide further input.

To me it looks like this would be a better bike course, depending on the condition of those roads on the back section.

------------------------------------------------
#cancersucks - In memory of my brother, helping his kids
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Marble Falls 2013 [Shane_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a much better route than last year. I can't say I'm familiar with the roads other than highway 71, but that section is great for riding. road conditions elsewhere probably can't be worse, and I doubt there are any cattle gates to cross like last year.

-----
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Marble Falls 2013 [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not familiar with the roads from the half bike course last year. But yesterday I road most of this year's course and have to say there are some challenging roads. Once you turn onto Old Spicewood Rd, things get rough. The road surface is really bumpy. And you end up crossing about 20 cattle guards.
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Marble Falls 2013 [denarae] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
denarae wrote:
I'm not familiar with the roads from the half bike course last year. But yesterday I road most of this year's course and have to say there are some challenging roads. Once you turn onto Old Spicewood Rd, things get rough. The road surface is really bumpy. And you end up crossing about 20 cattle guards.

Good to know... I was thinking about getting out there to check it out myself; sounds like I better get a look at it before the race.
Quote Reply
Re: HITS Marble Falls 2013 [pocolocoman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It wasn't fun ride yesterday. But I'm really glad I know what to expect now for the race.
Quote Reply

Prev Next