Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HITS 2016 Olympic Swim Length
Quote | Reply
Did anyone else have confusion over the buoys on the swim portion of the HITS Palm Springs Sunday Race?

There were two green buoys at the start, 2 sets of yellow buoys, and a single red buoy at the far end of the swim course. It seemed the red buoy was left over from the Saturday half/full ironman races.

My niece swam the Sprint of 750 meters where everyone swam around the second set of yellow buoys, completely ignoring the red buoy. My Olympic group swam 30 minutes later all the way around the red buoy for two loops for a total of what appeared to be 1.2 miles (half-iron length), instead of 1500 meters. As I was the slowest one out there, I didn't make the 1 hour cutoff. I know I need to better my swim time, but I was prevented from going into T1 for the bike portion of the race.
Quote Reply
Re: HITS 2016 Olympic Swim Length [GoLakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1500m = 1640 yds
1.2 mi = 1980 yds

Entirely possible the course was the right length and you just sighted terribly. By zig zagging its pretty easy to rack up a lot of extra yards.

If you are pushing an hour for 1500m, you are not a good swimmer and usually that means have a harder time swimming straight and therefore much more likely to be zig zagging and picking up those extra yards as well.

Also, from other reports, the course may have been a hair long, but slight mismeasures happen, a LOT, even in IM branded races, the nationals, etc.

I swam two seperate halfs this year. Time on one was 29:30 and I was the only one to go sub 30, time on the other was 23:30ish (dont remember the exact seconds) and several otherss had times in the 23 range. I SHOULD be right about 24:30-25, so course A was a bit long, and course B was a bit short. Point is: it happens. Buoys blow, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: HITS 2016 Olympic Swim Length [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Davejustdave,

thanks for the reply. Agreed about my swimming, I suck. My question is more along the lines of: Should I have swam around the yellow buoys or swam around the red one?

I will be checking my Ambit2 later today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if they didn't move the red buoy from Saturday, and you did two loops, you swam 1.2 miles :) Or 2357 yards if you believe my Garmin.
Quote Reply
Re: HITS 2016 Olympic Swim Length [mblocher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mblocher,

I doubt anyone knows if the red buoy was moved. This was my first triathlon, shortened to a swim-athon. I just wanted to finish in under 4 hours. I will get back to working on my so-called swim technique.

thanks,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just checked my Garmin from yesterday and it reads 1539 yards. I swam around the red buoy at the far end both times, total time for my swim was 24:06

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: HITS 2016 Olympic Swim Length [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike,

Thanks for checking. Wow! I am slower than I thought. I didn't think that was possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GoLakers wrote:
Mike,

Thanks for checking. Wow! I am slower than I thought. I didn't think that was possible.

Don't get discouraged. You probably did swim closer to the 1.2 miles. As I said, the slower you are swimming, usually the less straight you track.

Practice sighting in open water, and work on that technique. Youll get there.

And an oly is a lot to bite off for a first tri. Maybe sign up for a sprint in the spring with a shorter swim and an oly in the mid summer.

Keep at it and dont get down if your swim progress is slow. That's 100% normal
Last edited by: davejustdave: Dec 5, 16 13:22
Quote Reply
Re: HITS 2016 Olympic Swim Length [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave,

I thought I could get thru the swim to get to the bike and run. Thanks for the encouragement, I will definitely continue with my training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hire a 1-on-1 a swim coach. Guessing you have a weak kick, and poor body position (swimming uphill). Even a crappy stroke would not be that slow.

Besides a faster swim split, you would be conserving a lot of energy. You do not want to swim poorly for an hour, then jump on a bike. You'll find your energy levels depleted too much.
Quote Reply