Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HELP! Training Decision
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I have to make a decision.

For training, would you keep an old road bike, and ride it for training, then use a new tri bike for racing/fast training only?

Or would you buy a set of training wheels for the tri bike, and use it for everything?

I have a new tri bike that i have been doing everything on, but i still own an old road bike that i am in the process of selling to a friend. Would you keep the road bike? or use the money from the road bike to buy training wheels and part of a wetsuit?

Thanks,

-Kevin

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Re: HELP! Training Decision [Kevin_Queens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What kind of race wheels do you own? I would not train on a pair of tubular Zipps. Wetsuits are a must in all cold water swims, so I guess that answers your question. In the future you can always invest in a used road bike. I did.
Quote Reply
Re: HELP! Training Decision [CS7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they are ksyrium elites

the thing is though, i already have the road bike... so thats why im confused

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
             Keep the road bike. You'll want to ride it on the not so perfect days, or keep it on the trainer in the summer to ride on the really bad days, or ride when the new bike goes to the shop, or is packed in a bike case, or you come home from work and it has a flat, or you meet a cute woman who you can talk into a bike ride. etc, etc, etc. Everyone should have a back up bike. How much can you really expect to get for it anyway. At one time my back up bike was newer than my race bike. Last year I got a new tri bike and hardly rode it at all. Now this year I want to start riding with a roady group over here on Long Island so I'll have to Cannondale tuned and meet them for so fast rides down the Expressway Service Road. I can't wait, the snow is almost gone!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wetsuits fall under the category of "must haves" in any race where the water is cold, so that in itself will answer your question. As for the Tri bike, this is your race bike and you want as much mileage on it since it handles much differently than the road. Ask yourself this, "Am I a triathlete or road racer?". Get the wetsuit and a pair of sturdy training wheels. Save the Krysiriums for race day. You can always get a good deal on a road bike later.

From experience, I trained too much on my road bike last year before my first A race. My tri bike felt totally different come race time. Live and learn.

My .02 cents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Train and race on the same bike is my recommendation. It is a fit matter. I use a road bike for group rides though, but most of my rides are solo.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: HELP! Training Decision [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks guys

i think ill get the wheels and the wetsuit then ;)

-kevin

Quote Reply