Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HED Wheels Disc and H3
Quote | Reply
I have the option of riding a HED Jet disk and an H3 front for my upcoming triathlons. I can usually average around 22 mph on a semi flat olympic course. I ride a Cannondale Slice and I have been professionally fit. I come from a running background and have only been cycling consistently for a year. Question is how big of a difference will the HED wheels make over a my Mavic Kysrium SE's? Should I even bother using the HED's? I have heard the disk doesn't make much of a difference until you hit 25mph? Thanks for the info from a newb.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N." - Wooderson

Last edited by: Shippy13: Mar 27, 14 6:38
Quote Reply
Re: HED Wheels Disc and H3 [Shippy13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should definitely use the Hed wheels, assuming all else is equal. (For example, if your Mavics have really low rolling resistance tires and the Heds have super crappy tires then it might be a wash. But you can always just switch the tires.)

What you were told - that a disc doesn't make a difference until 25mph - is wrong. A slower rider benefits more in total time saved than a faster rider. Riding the Hed wheels won't turn you into Cancellara, but they are definitely, and measurably, faster than the Ksyriums . Make sure you do a few training rides on the Heds before racing on them just to get used to how it feels having more side surface area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shippy13 wrote:
I have heard the disk doesn't make much of a difference until you hit 25mph? Thanks for the info from a newb.

You may be confusing the disk wheel with HED H3D wheels.

Quote:
1. Used as a front wheel the H3D is faster than the H3 out to 10 degrees of wind yaw angle. Generally this means that 25mph and faster riders will get a benefit from the H3D because at these speeds yaw angles are generally low. At higher yaw angles the H3 is a faster wheel which is why for the majority of triathletes where speeds are 25mph and less the H3 still tends to have an advantage. -HED Cycling

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely use the HEDs! Those Mavics are about the slowest wheels out there. It doesn't make sense to intentionally waste time. It is a race after all :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks y'all for the advice! Will ride the HED's. I'll take them out for a test/check ride today.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are the HED Jet disk and the H3 front wheels tubular or clincher? This is a pretty major consideration for me. They're faster than your Mavics at 1mph-40mph, but only if you're not stranded on the side of the road with a flat.
Quote Reply
Re: HED Wheels Disc and H3 [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are clinchers. I wouldn't even begin to know how to glue a tire on! :)

That is a pretty cool calculator as well!

Last edited by: Shippy13: Mar 27, 14 7:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy latex tubes as well. And since they are clinchers, maybe spring for some 23mm Continental GP 4000S tires.
Quote Reply
Re: HED Wheels Disc and H3 [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:
Buy latex tubes as well. And since they are clinchers, maybe spring for some 23mm Continental GP 4000S tires.

I just learned that H3s are 19mm and that a 23mm tire would not make the best match on an H3 and that narrow tires are becoming harder to find.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: HED Wheels Disc and H3 [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aerodynamically, 23's are not the best match, but from a handling standpoint, 23's are nice to have. If with the slight compromise in aero that a 23mm tire on an H3 would have, it would still be significantly faster than a Ksyrium on the front. BTW - Ksyriums have narrow rims as well, so throwing 23mm tires on ksyriums causes the same issues. It is just that no one talks about aero penalties with Ksyriums.
Quote Reply
Re: HED Wheels Disc and H3 [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just run a 20mm conti SS on the h3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run the same HED set up. Use the Conti Attack/Force tire set. They are recommended by the guys at HED.
Quote Reply
Re: HED Wheels Disc and H3 [noreastersurf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
definitely....fast combo and setup

here is my race setup i use the same: p4c
Quote Reply
Re: HED Wheels Disc and H3 [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
just run a 20mm conti SS on the h3

+1
Quote Reply
Re: HED Wheels Disc and H3 [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the info and good advice guys. I appreciate it a lot.
Just changed the cassette over to the disc. Here is to a good race Saturday.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any follow up? What did you end up running? I have the same set of wheels and might try some different tire combos.

--------------------------------------------------
Non-Swimming Duathlete
Quote Reply
Re: HED Wheels Disc and H3 [rbrnut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ran the disc/h3 combo. Power was 215 and I averaged 22 mph. I think it worked great. I plan on using the same set up this weekend. The H3 does catch some cross wind pretty good. I caught a few gust that had my attention!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! What tire combo did you end up running? I had the same crosswind problem recently in a race using my Jet 7 on the front, so was hoping the H3 would alleviate some of that.

--------------------------------------------------
Non-Swimming Duathlete
Quote Reply
Re: HED Wheels Disc and H3 [rbrnut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I had 23mm Conti 4000's on them already so I just stuck with them. We had about 15-20 mph winds and I was fine, just a couple big gust in the cross wind is what got my attention. It was fine in normal winds without the gusts.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a good race. Just chiming in that I run (basically) the same with a H3 front (23 mm tire) and a disc cover on the rear and it's a fast setup! Plus it looks great. Sustained cross winds aren't really too bad, it's the gusts that get you! It's those times when i appreciate an upfront hydration system with a straw, so I can keep my hands on the bars.

ETA - curious which race? I just did NOLA with 15-20 cross winds with that setup, also went a touch over 22 at 218 NP
Last edited by: ChrisM: Apr 25, 14 10:28
Quote Reply
Re: HED Wheels Disc and H3 [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Sustained cross winds aren't really too bad, it's the gusts that get you!

^this!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shippy13 wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
Sustained cross winds aren't really too bad, it's the gusts that get you!

^this!

My first race on a disc/H3 was Wildflower Oly last year, where they had issued a severe wind warning. No idea what the gusts were, but I found if you read the terrain you could kind of anticipate when you might get a gust (i.e., side canyons), but there were always one or two out of nowhere to put the fear of god into you.
Last edited by: ChrisM: Apr 25, 14 10:30
Quote Reply