Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HED Jet 6 vs. Flo 60 Front Wheel.
Quote | Reply
I have both a Flo 60 and a HED Jet 6 Flame Rouge front wheel and I am trying to decide which one to keep. The Flo is a touch wider (24.5mm vs 23.5 mm according to my calipers). The Flo rim also has what appears to be a more modern aero shape, the Flo has a rounded leading edge with mostly flat sides while the HED has more of a rounded V shape. I believe the HED wheel is a ‘Stallion’ build - Both wheels have twenty bladed spokes and both are aluminum clinchers with a non-structural carbon fiber fairing. The HED is probably a touch lighter but not enough to worry about IMO. I have been running GP4000s 23mm tires and will probably continue to do so.

So which one do I keep?

I have two front wheels because I was running a Flo 60 Set and picked up the HED Jet 6 Wheelset because I was looking for a wheel with a powetap hub :-) If I keep the Flo front I will probably peel the stickers off the HED rear wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet 6 vs. Flo 60 Front Wheel. [Anachronism] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since the Flo fairing is stiffer and slightly heavier, they were able to shape it differently than HED. I would guess Flo is more aero than HED. The HED fairing is very thin and looks to be rounded. They removed the aero data from their website so I have no idea which wheel is more aero. You could sell the HED, keep the Flo, and have some extra cash

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Mar 1, 15 9:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on the vintage of the HED. I think in 2013, the HED Jet got a new profile that almost certainly would make it a bit faster, though you are kinda splitting hairs. If I had the guess the 2011-2012 Jets would be a draw and I would go with the Flo's if the Jets are 2010 or earlier.

The other advantage of the Jets would be if they have the SCT profile. The SCT Jets were specifically designed to be more stable in a cross-wind. While the Flo's have the blunt inner edge, stability was not a specific design criteria. They are a nice CFD design, but the bigger companies like HED and Zipp prototype multiple profiles and test for a broader array characteristics.
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet 6 vs. Flo 60 Front Wheel. [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Since the Flo fairing is stiffer and slightly heavier, they were able to shape it differently than HED. I would guess Flo is more aero than HED. The HED fairing is very thin and looks to be rounded. They removed the aero data from their website so I have no idea which wheel is more aero. You could sell the HED, keep the Flo, and have some extra cash

If you have no idea which wheel is more aero why do you think it is even remotely worth venturing a guess about it?
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet 6 vs. Flo 60 Front Wheel. [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you look at the Firecrest shape and compare it to Flo, it is similar in ways. Flo has a unique shape that was designed by Flo. HEDs look a bit more round as was stated in the first post. When HED still had aero data on their website, I remember looking at the yaw plot and seeing how close Flo and HED were as are most wheels today. That's why I said it's a guess but without data none of us can confirm. We can only speculate based off wheel shape. A stiffer fairing can be shaped more aero than a flexible soft fairing

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet 6 vs. Flo 60 Front Wheel. [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the HED data and Flo data looked close then the HED would be a bit more aero probably, because of the way Flo subtracts the tares.

But really you can't draw any conclusions from different people testing wheels with different protocols in different tunnels.

and not even on bikes! =)

BryanD wrote:
If you look at the Firecrest shape and compare it to Flo, it is similar in ways. Flo has a unique shape that was designed by Flo. HEDs look a bit more round as was stated in the first post. When HED still had aero data on their website, I remember looking at the yaw plot and seeing how close Flo and HED were as are most wheels today. That's why I said it's a guess but without data none of us can confirm. We can only speculate based off wheel shape. A stiffer fairing can be shaped more aero than a flexible soft fairing

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think your answer is in what wheel would you get more for when you still it.
A. Sell the one that makes the most money for you
B. Sell the cheaper one because the more"aero" wheel would be more expensive.
Quote Reply