Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HED Disc wheel from 2007
Quote | Reply
I found a disc wheel on eBay a couple of months ago and bid on it.
I didn't actually expect to win, but I did! It's a HED clincher disc from 2007.
The disc itself is in pretty good condition, but it has a 13mm internal diameter, I think 17mm external, i.e. it is really narrow. I didn't even know they made wheels with 13mm internal diameters.

I'm not sure what I want to do with it now. I could sell and get a new wider RON disc or alike for probably about the same price, or stick and have to adjust my brakes whenever I race.
What are your opinions? Are old discs like this still good to ride?
Quote Reply
Re: HED Disc wheel from 2007 [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a terrible wheel. Seriously, get rid of it.

I'm a nice guy, so send it to me and I'll get rid of it for you, but I'll require a $25 disposal and handling fee.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: HED Disc wheel from 2007 [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think 13 mm is as narrow as you are making out. Many stock training wheels are either still 13mm or have increased to 15mm in the past 2-3 years. Companies including Shimano have gotten into the habit of listing only a 'rim width' measurement which is a useless metric and you need to look at the rim size i.e. 622-13C to get the info you want.

The disc was probably optimized for an 18-20mm tires, like the Hed Tri-spokes of that era, but you should be just fine with a 23mm. The move to wider rims and tires is about marginal performances differences. That said don't try and stick a 25/28mm tire on the disc.
Quote Reply