Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HED 3 deflating...
Quote | Reply
I have a front 2013 HED 3 trispoke sitting here with a 20mm Continental GP Supersonic tire and a Michelin AirComp latex 18-20mm tube. It will hold pressure for about a day, but then when I pick it up the next day, it has lost a significant amount of pressure, but isn't completely flat. When I've ridden it, it pressure stays fine for the duration of the ride. I don't think there's a hole in the tube, so is it leaking out the valve? I've never had this problem with any other tire or wheel and I'm seriously doubting this is supposed to occur (But I've been wrong before.) Can someone let me know what's up here? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: HED 3 deflating... [CaptainAcon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
normal for any latex tube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could possibly just be the normal air loss from using latex tubes. They will lose air pressure at a faster rate than butyl. I'm sure someone else can chime in with a normal loss rate for latex tubes.
Quote Reply
Re: HED 3 deflating... [Harbo99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, I wasn't aware that was normal. Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a good idea to run sealant in a latex tube. It seems like the leak down rate decreases quite a bit, though this is an u scientific observation. I use the Orange brand that did very well in the sealant test.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the exact same setup. Mine loses 20-30PSI overnight. Pumping it up on race morning is an absolute necessity.
Quote Reply
Re: HED 3 deflating... [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As already mentioned, latex does that. No need to worry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Latex will bleed ~1psi/hr. at typical road bike pressures.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: HED 3 deflating... [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

I'm pretty sure the air dissipates at a non-linear rate, although that estimate is close to what I experience usually (pump to 105, down to 85-90psi the next morning).

As an aside, don't bother with CO2 with latex tubes since it'll leak even faster.
Quote Reply
Re: HED 3 deflating... [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

I'm pretty sure the air dissipates at a non-linear rate, although that estimate is close to what I experience usually (pump to 105, down to 85-90psi the next morning).

As an aside, don't bother with CO2 with latex tubes since it'll leak even faster.

Yes it's nonlinear, since it changes w/tire pressure. That's why I qualified it with "~" and "at typical road bike pressures". It works as a good rule of thumb.

+1 on CO2 leaking faster than air. The rate is accelerated, but CO2 is still worth it for in-race repairs (though should be a non-issue since butyl is a better choice for a spare tube to carry).

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

(though should be a non-issue since butyl is a better choice for a spare tube to carry).

Why is this?

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
aravilare wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Yes it's nonlinear, since it changes w/tire pressure. That's why I qualified it with "~" and "at typical road bike pressures". It works as a good rule of thumb.

+1 on CO2 leaking faster than air. The rate is accelerated, but CO2 is still worth it for in-race repairs (though should be a non-issue since butyl is a better choice for a spare tube to carry).

IIRC Tom A said around 10lb per hour with C02, I could be wrong or mis quoting…that's what I remember though.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: HED 3 deflating... [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

(though should be a non-issue since butyl is a better choice for a spare tube to carry).

Why is this?

It's extremely easy to screw up a latex tube change and you may not notice until your tire blows on a descent.
Quote Reply
Re: HED 3 deflating... [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

Why is this?

Butyl tubes are less likely to incur damage (both in your saddlebag and during installation). They are cheaper, and have a better shelf life (since your spare tube could spend years in your saddlebag waiting to be used....if you're lucky).

Of these, the fact that latex tubes are much more easy to damage during installation is the big issue. Talk to anyone who uses latex tubes and they will advise extra care when installing them, to avoid pinching the tube. On the side of the road in a race is not the ideal environment to change a tube (especially with the clock ticking), so better to have a more idiot-proof tube.

Quote Reply
Re: HED 3 deflating... [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:
aravilare wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

IIRC Tom A said around 10lb per hour with C02, I could be wrong or mis quoting…that's what I remember though.

Maurice

Yeah, 10X for CO2 is about right.

I'm not sure why someone would fix a flat in-race with a latex tube, but if they did it's probably advisable to inflate to a higher pressure to compensate for the leakage. Ex. 130psi would still have you riding a 90psi tire four hours later....obviously mostly an issue for long races. That being said, stopping to top off the tire with another CO2 (always have one in the BSN bag) is pretty quick.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

my experience, testing lots of tires with a digital gauge over various time periods up to 24h is that it is 1-3psi/hour, depending on the tire+tube combo.

most tires i've tested tended to exhibit 1.5-2psi/hour pressure loss.
Quote Reply
Re: HED 3 deflating... [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speculating, but I'd think rim strips would play a big role. Some like Velox are quite permeable, while trispokes and discs have no spoke holes to weep air.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If using PitStop or similar, you inject latex foam and CO2. The few times I have done this, the tire gets up to maybe 80psi and it does go flat fast!!

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: HED 3 deflating... [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I'm really surprised they don't use another mixture (probably due to cost). Pitstop, etc. are definitely designed for use with latex tubes (i.e.quick fix when you flat a race tubular).

Quote Reply