Quote | Reply
Discuss

Edit: trying to link her Facebook post

Got it: https://www.facebook.com/...eos/1486381284744871
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Nov 7, 17 8:35
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Going for Olympic Marathon Gold [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think, as is the case with most if not all top marathon runners, it will be more about her body holds up to the stress of marathon training than her talent.

I also question why anyone would try to move into the world of athletics if they have found success elsewhere due to the prevalence of doping. I don't believe the IAAF is serious about cleaning up the endemic culture of drug use in the sport and I think many people have lost trust in the performances they see. That said, I have no idea about the prevalence of doping in Triathlon at the Olympic level so it could be just as bad. I also appreciate the life of an ITU athlete would really really suck for anyone who wants some sort of normal home life so the move towards the marathon has significant other advantages.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Going for Olympic Marathon Gold [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you nailed it: being an ITU athlete is tough. Being an ITU athlete while raising a child is probably impossible if not borderline irresponsible. Gwen loves running and running lets her stay home with Stanley (her newborn). To Gwen, the path was probably rather obvious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I think you nailed it: being an ITU athlete is tough. Being an ITU athlete while raising a child is probably impossible if not borderline irresponsible. Gwen loves running and running lets her stay home with Stanley (her newborn). To Gwen, the path was probably rather obvious.

It seems we have a parallel between Talansky and Gwen as he is leaving cycling to do long course tri to have more time at home with his family, and Gwen appears to be doing similar. I'm not going to make any judgments about whether an ITU athlete, or a pro cyclist, is being "irresponsible" to their kid(s) other than to say that military guys/girls go on 6 to 18 month deployments routinely, with equal time at home between deployments if they are lucky. Given that most military kids I've ever met are outstanding kids, I'd say Mom and/or Dad being gone so much did not hurt their development per se. Just guessing here but I think Gwen and Andrew are simply making totally personal choices in that they want to be home with the kid more. The only other comment I'd make is that Gwen should talk to Mark Allen about how his Oly mary quest turned out. IIRC, he never even qualified for the Trials. she's a great runner but now she's going to be up against lots of great pure runners.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck Gwen!!!
It'll be fun to watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many of these threads do we need? This is #3.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Going for Olympic Marathon Gold [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

One starts out with "Big Gwen", another with "Gwen Jorgensen" and this one with plain old "Gwen" so they're not at all alike...
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Going for Olympic Marathon Gold [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

Dan is free to lock/delete duplicate threads :)
Quote Reply