Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Guru bikes
Quote | Reply
i'm a beginner triathlete on a tight budget and was wondering if you guys and gals had any suggestions for a tri specific bike. one bike that keeps popping up is the Cervelo One. the local bikeshop here just started carrying Guru bikes and the guy there says the Cron'alu is a great bike for the price. i have read many positive reviews of the cervelo but can't find any real reviews on any of the Guru bikes. any thoughts for a newbie?
Quote Reply
Re: Guru bikes [whineyass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Easy answer (and no jokes guys): Buy the one that fits.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this the new Cervelo One or the older version? If it's the new version it's not truly a tri specific bike but might make a good choice for the newbie triathlete because it can be used for road and tri purposes since it's geometry is in between the two. If it's the older version, you might want to consider waiting for the new Cervelo Dual which should be in the shops shortly.

More important question - why do you want a tri specific bike? Are you an experienced cyclist? If not, conventional wisdom would suggest to first get a road bike because they are far more versatile and better handling than tri bikes. You can get a pair of shorty aero bars to use for tris but should join a roady group to learn the basic biking skills. That's my $.02.
Quote Reply
Re: Guru bikes [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that is a something that all of my training buddies have pointed out as well--that the bike needs to fit. there is a good bike shop who does custom fittings, so i don't think have to worry about buying blind. With my limited resources financially, i want to make sure i get the most out of what i can afford. i have talked to several people who ride cervelo's and they all love them. the problem is that no stores around here carry cervelo's and i would hate to buy a bike without at least riding it first. that's why i brought up the guru's--the store here started carrying them and, based on what seemed to be an objective side-by-side comparison, the guru makes a strong case. don't ge me wrong, the guy didn't try to knock down the cervelo. he agrees they are great bikes. i just can't get my hands on one to test ride!! part of the problem is that i am 5'6'' on a good day. so, anyone heard anything about guru bikes? thanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: Guru bikes [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i am currently riding a specialized allez A1 and have put some shorty bars on it. in my very limited experience with other triathletes, it seems most have a road bike and a racing bike (which may or may not be a tri-specific bike). i am new to triathlons and have been road cycling since august 2002. there is nothing wrong with the bike i have now--i just finished my first century ride with it and love it to death. i am considering the tri-bike now b/c i have had a chance to speak to several IM finishers about them and they say if i'm going to be doing this for a while (which i am) then i should make the investment. from what i understand the cervelo's hold up great, so i am not planning on having to get another bike after this for a very long time. as far as what model i am looking at, i believe it is the 2003 (on their website).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple of questions and opinions I can throw into the ring.

1) You may want to reconsider deciding based on a test ride, or whether or not you can even test ride a given bike. Try a search on here, or go to www.bikesportmichigan.com and read about fit (there is a small section on the site about test rides), or just plain ask Tom D. why he doesn't think test rides are good. There are still people who say you should test ride, but just know there are different opinions/knowledge base that say a test ride may not be the way to go. Also, when Tom says buy the one that fits, he means, get measured FIRST, then decide, don't decide and then get positioned as good as you can on the bike you buy.

2) Why would you want a 2003 Cervelo One if you already have a road bike? I believe the One is intended for people who are new to triathlon and are only going to get one bike. While I don't think it is characterized as a dual purpose bike like the soloist (a road bike that can be used as a tri bike), it definitely is not as drastic a change from you current set-up as a more traditional tri bike. Just doesn't make a lot of sense to me, so I guess I am wondering what your reasoning is.

3) Lots of support for Cervelo's on this site, so you'll get good feedback on that brand. Maybe someone could chime in here about Yaqui as another option. How many different brands have you looked at or are available to you? I do know there are some people that own Guru who frequent this site.

4) Remember it's an investment, like you said. It sucks to buy a bike and second guess yourself. You may get a good deal offered to you, but you'll be pissed if you find out later it doesn't fit you (and that can be frame size or the geometry unique to a given bike model).

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
so, anyone heard anything about guru bikes? thanks!!
Does anyone have any information about the Guru? I'm interested myself as they look like a pretty sweet ride even compared to a Cervelo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Guru Crono. Pros: gorgeous, custom, stiff, aero, boutique factor (uncommon), nice guys in the company.

Cons: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (their Ti bike is more than a comparable Serotta or Seven)

Don't know much about the other models, but have heard few negatives about the company

Lots of cheap tri-bikes out there, IF it fits: X-Lab, Trek, Q-Roo, etc.

But Empfield seems to cover all of these bikes on the site.....
Quote Reply
Re: Guru bikes [cyclothymic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have casually looked and the Crono and thought just what you stated "$$$$$$$". But again I have to admit they look so nice...and fast. So I was curious myself to hear how they ride. Thanks for the info Cyclo.
Quote Reply
Re: Guru bikes [T2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I forgot to mention ride is a tad harsh--650 wheels contribute. But I doubt any of the Aluminum tri-bikes are much comfier. For unreal deals on bikes/tri-bikes etc., check out chucksbikes.com Full tri-bikes, 105 equipped for 500-700 dollars. Taiwanese "Tsunami" and "Wheeler" frames, but same builders as many big brand makers are using. Chuck is nice, responsive, and warranties for one-year. I bought a carbon frame--Martec--that is identical to BP Stealth frame retailing for 600-700 dollars more.

Oh, and most of his frames include a carbon fork(also Taiwanese, but so are 80% of C. forks on market)
Quote Reply
Re: Guru bikes [cyclothymic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
did either of you guys look at the Cron'alu? it appears to be Guru's "affordable" tri bike. i got a quote of around 1700 (105 groupo instead of ultegra--lowers price). that seems pretty close to the cervelo Dual (1500 with 105's). i have not heard much about the dual though. someone recently informed me that the 2003 cervelo one is nothing like the 2002 and the dual is now cervelo's least expensive tri specific bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny because I'm in the exact same position! I'm also considering the cervelo one because of it's versatility and of course because of my low budget. They are suppose to receive it soon in a shop near by and cant wait to go check it out. One of the problem with the Cervelo one is since it's not at all the same bike than last year, there are no critics on it yet. Having a bike in tiagra, what difference will it make? I dont really know since I never tried it or something else!

While shopping, most of the shops who were having Guru's were also recommending it to me over trek models and my research on the web also fund good critics. Some critics for 2001 at this address :

http://www.roadbikereview.com/...PL_5585_2504crx.aspx

My problem, and I guess it's also a little bit yours, is that the cervelo one is kind of alone in is price range(1300$ CAN). I would love to get the soloist but will it worth a couple of hundreds more(2200$ CAN)? Same with the Guru and other bikes.

I will probably make my choice in a week or two so I'll give you my opinion once tried.

Good luck

Richard

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever" - Larry Andersen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced a Cron'alu last year. It was a very comfortable bike to be all aluminum...maybe the curved seat stays contributed to that good ride. Anyway, I would recommend it as a good TT bike...it is just a little heavy, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I had a 78 degree 55 cm top tube bike, with a VERY nice paint job...people were always commenting on the paint. It was just too steep for me..couldn't climb worth a flip on it. I'm on a 76 degree bike now...I can get 78 or steeper out of it for the ultra flat races, and get back to 74-75 degrees for the hilly ones. For me, the 78 degree seat-tube made me have to choose between it and a road bike for different races...I wanted a bike that I could race any terrain on. That's why I sold it. I considered a Guru Trilite, but, I got a Yaqui Carbo instead...simply because of the builder, Ves Mandaric. He really built a bike to suit my body and my riding style...and it certainly is comfortable. You might want to consider talking to him about his line of bikes. I've never been on a Cervelo, I know lots of people that have them and absolutely love them. No matter what, you MUST buy what fits you, just keep repeating that over and over. Cervelos are very adjustable, Guru and Yaqui both offer custom geometry. Good luck with the decision!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am riding a chron'alu right now. It is slowly growing on me (first tri bike)

for some reason, mine didnt include curved seat stays, but its still a good ride. This years version has been spec'd differently. I liked the fact that there are 2 different sized frames for each number...ie 55 and 55long. They build the bike after taking your measurements, so it fits perfectly.

I had some issuses with it when i first got it, but now im happy with it.

That said, after all the upgrades i put on it, i could have bought a trilite or p2k for the same price....

-kevin

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Re: Guru bikes [Kevin_Queens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, Kevin! How did your MAP race go? I looked for you, but didn't see you.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first thought is that you should be trying to decide between a Guru and Cervelo...roadbike! Think of how much time you'll spend racing vs training, group riding, tours or just bicycle riding around the areas you have travelled to. If you do have a roadbike I say get the $1700 Guru. I test rode the Cron'Alu and thought it rode great with those Scandium tubes. Also the paint job, geometry and exclusivity should be considered. My experience was that the Guru's are sized large, you may have to drop down one size. One of my bike rules (#3) is always stretch and get the bike with the better frame. If you want to upgrade any parts be sure to trade out when you buy or pay full pop later to replace something that you already have. Don't make the mistake of getting home with your new bike and then immediately start jonesing for better components or frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO, I would wait until you can get the bike you truly want. If you just started riding in Aug. 2002, and you love the bike you are on now, why not race a year on a road bike. You can get a cheap pair of aeros (i believe the profile century is $50) and put them on your bike you have now. I raced on a trek 1000 for 3 years while I saved up for my dream bike. Now I have it and I'm glad I waited. If you are just getting started in tri's, your time won't matter the first couple times out. Once the "wow, I did a tri" haze lifts, then you will get more competitive. I would save a couple bucks a month, and next season get a higher end bike, if you decide you want to get serious. If you just want to race to finish, then it is not even necessary to buy a new bike, and you will have extra $$$ for entrys (since they are so steep).
Quote Reply