Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Guppy Challenge begins today
Quote | Reply
Today is day-1 of the Winter edition of the Guppy Challenge. We are starting today because it's Monday. Click to sign up for this challenge.

The Goal: This challenge is for you who are truly, "completely and utterly" as Paul Sherwin would describe you, horrible at swimming. It's for those of you who are in fear of not making the swim cut-off at an Ironman race. Those who consider a "1" as the first number of your swim split as a small victory (as in 1:59:59).

The Means:
This Challenge is 10 weeks long, and the intent is to fix mechanical problems that keep you swimming slowly regardless of how much volume you do.

The Success Metric: An improvement in
your Ironman swim by 15 to 20 minutes.

If I'm catching you off guard, and you had no idea this Challenge was happening, no problem (you ought to read the home page articles more closely, nevertheless, okay). During the first week of this challenge we're just getting our bearings. This Challenge commences today, which is a monday, and it terminates February 14, a Sunday. Valentine's Day. Maybe there's some significance there, I don't know.

The idea here is SESSIONS, that is, there is no distance you need to swim, no timed amount, just sessions. What is a session? For the purposes of this challenge it's 500 yards. You swim 500 yards, you swam a session, you can count it as a session. Of course, I hope your sessions are all longer than that. However, you can count it a successful session if you swim that amount.

I will write front-page articles with some swim tips, drills, etc., and I'll link to them from posts here on this thread. You have a few things to do.

1. You should go to the challenge and click "join." This is so you can become accountable.

2. Once you join that challenge, you should write your workouts down on this training log every time you do a workout.

3. You should make sure you have all the accoutrements. A kick board, if you cannot kick and make any progress across the pool - both on your stomach and on your back - then get yourself some short fins (i.e., Zoomers). Make sure you've got good goggles, a back-up pair, a swimsuit, and a back-up.

4. Make sure you've got figured out when your local pool is open for lap swim hours. Of all the local pools. And the pools you're going to need to hit when you're traveling. And on weekends. Make a hard target search of every conceivable available pool, with the hours, and find out how it is you gain access: if you need a swim card (many pools don't take money, only debits from prepaid accounts). Even better yet is if you're a member of a master's swim team. If you're afraid to do this, fine, we'll broach this later.

5. I want you to watch this video. I want you to memorize this video. this stroke. It's going to take a long, long, long time before you ever have a stroke that looks anything like this. If ever. However, the more you watch this, internalize it, memorize it, the more you can envision yourself imitating it. I want this stroke to come out of you, from the inside out. I say this because it's a kind of proxy, or analog, or parable, that I believe in, not about swimming, but about everything: pretend. Pretend to do that thing, to commit that act, to exude that behavior. pretend to be that person you want to be. be a fraud. It's okay. You are allowed to commit fraud in the pool. Pretend to be that swimmer in that video. If you pretend long enough, after awhile you won't be pretending any longer. So, watch that video, because you're going to be impersonating a good swimmer.

If you swam yesterday under the assumption that it would count, you have my permission to log that workout today and count it as if it were today's workout. If you also swim today, just enter it as a separate workout, in which case the training log will show that you swam twice today. That's fine, it'll warm you up, psychologically, to the idea of swimming twice in one day, which is not a bad idea and I think everybody should try that at least once during this challenge.

First week's workouts immediately below, in the next post to this thread =>

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Dec 7, 15 9:55
Quote Reply
Re: Guppy Challenge - it begins now [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is the 3rd time, i believe, we've hosted the guppy challenge. we debuted this challenge a couple of years ago, and it seemed to hoist a lot of people up over a hump in their swim. let's hope we can do some good.

first things first:
if you're a member of a master's swim team, swim with this team a couple of days a week. do these workouts i'm recommending another couple of days a week, or as many days per week as you want to be in the pool. or, twice in one day in the pool if you want. you might think this is absolutely out of the question, but, once you start improving, and you really catch the swimming bug, you'll be looking for opportunities to jump in the pool and improve. that might include both a morning and evening swim from time to time. up to you.

basic theme: for the next few weeks, we're going to do two things: fix technical problems, and then once a week do a long swim that will build your endurance more than you think one swim capable. what i don't want is for you to go out there and kill yourself in the pool. your problem is not that you aren't swimming hard enough, and you being more and more gassed after every set isn't going to make you faster. rather, we have to fix technical problems, and then we need to improve your endurance. none of this involves you getting your heart rate to new heights.

nomenclature: a "leave interval" is typically the metric denoting how much time you get to rest when you swim sets. by this we mean that you "leave" the wall every so often. the swim + the rest equals the leave interval. so, let's say you were swimming repeat 100 yards, as in, 10 x 100yd. let's say you were capable of swimming 100 yards, all out, in 1:45, but you could swim it pretty easily in 2:10 or 2:15. we might say that a good leave interval for you is 2:30, meaning that you would "leave" at 2:30, 5:00, 7:30, 10:00, etc., until you had completed 10 of these 100s. in this case, you'll get 15 or 20 seconds rest between each of your 100s. a leave interval is sometimes referred to in 100 yard (or meter) terms. so, if you were doing a "ladder" set that consisted of swimming 100yd, followed by 200yd, 300yd, 400yd, and then back down, 300, 200, 100, you might say that you're "leaving" on the "2-minute base." this means you swim your 100yd, maybe you finish that swim in 1:40, you rest 20sec, then leave at 2min. then you swim the 200, say, in 3:35, and then you leave at the 4-minute point. if you're leaving on the "2min base" then your leave interval for 200yd is 4min, your leave interval for 300yd is 6min, and so forth.

default set: i've got just a basic default set for you. it's your meat and potatoes set, at least for awhile. it's 500 yards long, and it's got a little bit of everything in there that's going to give you fits. this is pretty much a warm-up set that you're going to do over and over for awhile, and it's this:

150 yards, then 100 yards, then 50 yards, swimming freestyle. these 300 yards are to be conducted on a "leave interval" that grants you about 30 seconds of rest between the 150 and the 100, 20 second rest between the 100 and the 50. if you can handle a leave interval on the 2min base, that means you swim the 150, and then when the clock hits the 3min mark you commence swimming your 100yd and then when you finish, and 2 more minutes have expired, you swim the 50.

if you can't quite make the 2min base, fine. if you were able to swim on the 2:20 base, then you would leave on your 100yd swim when the clock strikes 3:30. by the way, we call that leaving "on the bottom." even if there's a digital clock, swimmers will still say, "let's leave on the bottom." this is because digital clocks are still fairly new to us oldsters, and we're used to those large-faced round clocks on the pool deck with a big hand that strikes "30" when that hand is pointed to the bottom of the clock. anyway... if you add 2:20 to 3:30, your next "leave", for your 50, is "on the :50," that is, when the clock strikes 50. then you swim your 50yd swim and you'll have 1:10 in which to complete your 50yd swim + your rest.

most of you, try to stick to either a 2-minute leave interval, or a 2:20 leave interval. these are convenient intervals for this, because, in each case, we will move to the next phase of this set "on the top." i'll let you figure out why we call it that.

after the 150/100/50, on the top, i'd next like you to kick. just a 50. with a kickboard. and with your fins if you need them. i want these 50s to be kicked on the 4-minute base, which means you will finish the 50, plus the rest, in 2 minutes; or the 6-minute base, which means you'll finish the 50 kicking, plus the rest, and be ready to go again, in 3 minutes. you should not require a lot of rest after 50 yards kicking. while your legs will have gotten a pretty good workout, this won't be a taxing workout aerobically. so, try not to end up with more than 30sec rest after your 50 yards kicking.

more on this 50yd kicking. i'd like you to scissor kick (flutter kick, the kick you use in freestyle), for the first length, and then dolphin kick back. if you cannot dolphin kick yet, fine, dolphin kick back until you completely stall and fail, and then scissor kick the rest of the way back. use fins if this is just too hard.

after your 50yd kick, on the next top, i want you to swim another 50. but now, i want you to do this 50 semi-catch-up.

then i want a 50 with 1-arm pulling, 25yd per arm.

finally, another 50yd kicking.

that's 500 yards total. lather, rinse repeat. i want you to do this set over and over, as many times as you are comfortable doing it, until you feel as if you just must get out of the pool. if that's 2 times thru, 1000yd total, that's okay. if it's 3 times thru, better yet. if you can handle this 4 times thru, better yet. no real need to go crazy. 4 times thru is as much as you need to do. slow and steady wins this challenge. just try to get thru at least 2 cycles.

your last workout of the week, i want you to do this set once, as a warm-up, and then i want you to swim a straight 1000yd. you can swim this for time, but i'm not interested in how hard you swim. just do the swim. start as slow as you need so that you can stay strong thru the whole swim. at the end of this 1000yd you may exit the pool. if you feel really invigorated and you want to swim more, do our default set one more time.

if the above constitutes 3 swims for the week, fine. if it constitutes 6 swims over the course of the week, also fine. up to you. just to recap:

default set:

150yd/100yd/50yd, on the 2min, 2:20, or 2:40 base.
50yd kicking, scissor out, dolphin-then-scissor back, with kickboard, with fins if needed, on whatever base needed, leave in soonest top.
50yd semi-catch-up, no fins, leave on soonest top.
50yd one-arm pull, no sculling with off-hand, with fins if needed, leave on soonest top.
50yd kicking, scissor out, dolphin-then-scissor back, with kickboard, with fins if needed, leave on soonest top moving right into this set all over again.

meters: what if your pool is meters? if it's short course meters, just the same workout, but your leave intervals might need to be a little longer, as in, if you're swimming yards on the 2:20 base you'll probably need to swim meters on the 2:40 base. if you're swimming "long course meters," that is, the long way in a 50 meter pool, when you're halfway across then start doing one-arm pulls with the other arm. if you are in a long course pool, and you can't see the pool clock from the other end, just leave about when you think it's time. you'll get the hang of it.

filming: we aren't going to need this right away, and it's not a prerequisite that you ever do this, but, it would be nice if you had a buddy come to the pull with you at some point. yes, i'd like to see your stroke. however, better yet is for you to see your stroke. once we begin actually talking about how to fix your stroke, i want you to know what your own stroke looks like. just on top of the water, and then play this back for you without you ever leaving the pool. i want you to see what your stroke looks like, immediately, immediate feedback, so, you swim up and back, stop, watch the replay on the tablet, note whether the changes you're seeking are with effect, swim another 50, get filmed, and so forth. there is a cheap online tool called ubersense (for iOS, there are other similar Android programs), we use it in bike fitting, i think it can easily be used in swimming, and in this case, we can employ a split screen, where the stroke i want you to exhibit is on one side, your own stroke is next to it. or, there is your bad stroke, next to it is your better stroke.

for now, your workouts are these above for week-1, commencing monday, post your success and struggles here on this thread.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Guppy Challenge begins today [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually restarted Guppy on my own last week but am going to be joining in!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am IN!

I'm committed to improving my diabolical swim this winter and have a good few weeks under my belt already. Hopefully a bit of healthy competition and guidance will help push this along through the cold, dark months!

I'll put it out there now, next season I'm aiming to get my open water 1500m below 30 mins and hit my first 5k in under 1h 45m, modest goals for most people I know, but given how terrible I am, these seem very far way at the moment.

Thanks for organising this Dan, one of the many reasons I visit Slowtwitch every day!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started last week, and signed up yesterday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been on a running focus this fall for a HM this weekend, but I'll be back in the pool and on the program next week!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I actually printed all the workouts last week in preparation for starting this after Christmas... but I guess I better start now and figure out where I can swim the week I'm on vacation.

I don't think you've actually done the video stoke analysis on previous iterations, but my Masters group has been using a Go Pro to video ourselves and I'd love to get some feedback from ST swimmers when we do it again in January. Is that something you'd consider coordinating this time? I'd love to switch out the two drills that you have in the base set for something specific to my stroke issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great! I'm a day late in starting, but I'm in!

Day 1 was already tougher than I'd expected: My legs cramped up on the last set of dolphin kicks. Guess I'm paying for all the beer since my last race in October...

"Test everything, cling to what is good." - St. Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Guppy Challenge begins today [Natros] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am THE Hydrosloth.
N'uff said.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm only partially the target audience here - in that my swimming is horrible, but I can not improve my Ironman time because I have not yet done one. I don't even plan on doing one in 2016 - but I do plan on doing one in 2017 or 2018. With that, this could be the perfect challenge for me to push me to leverage my recent swim training and push myself in the pool to both get faster and go longer. In 2016 my goal is to be comfortable enough swimming to step up to a Half-Iron and to be fast enough to finish mid-pack or better in the swim in Sprint and Olympic races I enter.

Challenge accepted. Slightly modified success metrics being able to complete a continuous swim of a length greater than 2000 yards with a pace within striking distance of 2:00/100yds. Stretch goals of a) continuous swim of 4000 yards at 2:00/100yds and b) a quicker pace 1700yards at 1:50/100yds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Guppy Challenge helped me a lot the first time. Entered my first workout yesterday. About to leave for the pool again right now.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry if I've missed something, I see the first workout this week as default set repeated up to 4 cycles... and final workout as default set as warmup plus 1000yd

If I'm doing the session 3 times, do I just do the default set repeated up to 4 times session twice?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Count me in!
Quote Reply