Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Gun pulled on Hincapie and Son
Quote | Reply
Used to ride here quite a bit when I lived in SC. Good climb in the Greenville area that was easy to get to. Residents were very patient because every weekend the road had cyclists on it all day. This guy must have lost it.

http://www.thebikecomesfirst.com/...-whilst-out-cycling/
Quote Reply
Re: Gun pulled on Hincapie and Son [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cops involved? They usually take that sort of stuff quite seriously.
Quote Reply
Re: Gun pulled on Hincapie and Son [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The comment section was entertaining :0
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and driving a Subaru no less!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:

I had a gun pulled on me before in Tucson. The Tucson police told me I was lucky to be alive. They did nothing. I even took them to the complex where he lived, and showed them their car.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Sep 29, 16 10:21
Quote Reply
Re: Gun pulled on Hincapie and Son [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best bike routes where I live are all rural. Stopped riding on them as of last year. This is why. Well I thought to avoid getting run off the road by a Dodge Ram. Not guns. But the drivers are all same demographics. The problem is that hick, not the truck or the gun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:

Not in my experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Gun pulled on Hincapie and Son [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Best bike routes where I live are all rural. Stopped riding on them as of last year. This is why. Well I thought to avoid getting run off the road by a Dodge Ram. Not guns. But the drivers are all same demographics. The problem is that hick, not the truck or the gun.

Hicks don't drive Subarus. Unless it's a rental. And even then...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a gun pulled on me at work in the car park at about 6 in the morning in 95 or 96.........

Just about sh@t myself.........it was unnerving.....

I was told to stop asking questions and keep my mouth shut

I did

Was not entirely unexpected as we had a large dealing problem, my team mates had swastikas on their necks and we'd at various times had different enforcement agencies on site but its still a very unnerving experience
Quote Reply
Re: Gun pulled on Hincapie and Son [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
my team mates had swastikas on their necks

Team Hitler youth eh?

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Gun pulled on Hincapie and Son [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I had a gun pulled on me at work in the car park at about 6 in the morning in 95 or 96.........

Just about sh@t myself.........it was unnerving.....

Makes me glad to not live in the US.

Sure have some terrible drivers on the road in Australia, but I've never had to worry about guns or consider having to carry a weapon on my bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally off-topic, but I initially read your footer as a discount code on "The Most Adorable Magnesium".

Carry on,
Sharon

Festina Lente
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The driver was probably disgusted by this:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine had a gun pulled on him and two other riders probably about 30 to 40 miles from there in SC. Cops were called and they did nothing. He even had a picture of the dude's license plate and a picture of him pointing the gun at him. The dude with the gun said he was threatened.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in rural central Texas- the Hill Country.
It's beautiful but 50% red neck.

I ride almost exclusively indoors now, but will occasionally ride outside for LSD rides in peak phase training.
I wear two pairs of shorts, with one of these in between.

https://www.amazon.com/Condor-Tornado-Tactical-Leg-Holster/dp/B007IWMG6E?th=1

Many on ST will judge me, guns and Texas. And that's fine, comes with posting here I get it.
But Jade Helm wasn't based here because we take sh*t lying down.
Some will say guns provoke violence.
But I have had bottles thrown at me, vicious insults, bumper stickers saying "roads are for four wheels," etc.
I've seen plenty of weapons brandished. Threats that I think about for months after.
And I consider myself a pretty conscientious rider because in a collision I'll lose 100% of the time.
But our country exists in the midst of a mental health epidemic no one wants to talk about.
Gun violence is a symptom, not the cause.
Unless you're supported by Big Pharma ad or lobby dollars. Then from DC it looks a lot like "a gun problem."
The cause is shitty parents and shitty families, of all colors and creeds.
And it's not getting better until there's a reset.
Point being, I'm not trying to be a tough guy.
A gun won't diffuse a tense situation with a lunatic, nor end an altercation.
But it's there in case of a worst-case scenario.
Not many robberies in my part of Central Texas.

And worst case, a baby Glock 9mm is great for strengthening a weak left pedal stroke.
Quote Reply
Re: Gun pulled on Hincapie and Son [HankRearden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Polymers... Given your namesake, I'm disappointed in your choice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow!! Not sure what to say about this.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a fan of Hincapie, or any of the Lance cheaters, BUT I feel for him and son. It is another bad sign of the times.
Way too much craziness out there.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HankRearden wrote:
I live in rural central Texas- the Hill Country.
It's beautiful but 50% red neck.

I ride almost exclusively indoors now, but will occasionally ride outside for LSD rides in peak phase training.
I wear two pairs of shorts, with one of these in between.

https://www.amazon.com/Condor-Tornado-Tactical-Leg-Holster/dp/B007IWMG6E?th=1

Many on ST will judge me, guns and Texas. And that's fine, comes with posting here I get it.
But Jade Helm wasn't based here because we take sh*t lying down.
Some will say guns provoke violence.
But I have had bottles thrown at me, vicious insults, bumper stickers saying "roads are for four wheels," etc.
I've seen plenty of weapons brandished. Threats that I think about for months after.
And I consider myself a pretty conscientious rider because in a collision I'll lose 100% of the time.
But our country exists in the midst of a mental health epidemic no one wants to talk about.
Unless you're supported by Big Pharma ad or lobby dollars. Then from DC it looks a lot like "a gun problem."
The cause is shitty parents and shitty families, of all colors and creeds.
And it's not getting better until there's a reset.
Point being, I'm not trying to be a tough guy.
A gun won't diffuse a tense situation with a lunatic, nor end an altercation.
But it's there in case of a worst-case scenario.
Not many robberies in my part of Central Texas.

And worst case, a baby Glock 9mm is great for strengthening a weak left pedal stroke.

Wait....everything else aside (and that is a tough ask), you actually believe that Jade Helm bullschitt?!?!?

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Have their been any further developments with this?

Ironically, I was just down in Greenville, SC on the weekend to ride in the Gran Fondo Hincapie! A rare opportunity for me to take part in a race/event, put pin a bib number on and be on the OTHER side of the microphone!

Never any issues from what I saw. HUGE support for the event. Very light traffic on the roads, and cars being very respectful of cyclists - waiting to pass, on narrow twisting climbs etc . .

Our first time to the area, and I must say, the riding is AMAZING! Look forward to getting back there perhaps for a week of riding in the spring.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Gun pulled on Hincapie and Son [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to live there.....and the riding there is phenomenal. For the most part, motorists are decent.....but there have been numerous events that have occurred (a cyclist died a mile or so from Domestique about a month ago....hit by a car). Several accidents that made it to the news....that subsequently had dialogue going back on forth online with the anti cyclists threatening to run people over. Same crap happens everywhere. Also, there used to be gigantic rebel flags spray painted on the most of the routes around there.......probably put there by the white power store down the road from Domestique (seriously....there is one....you probably drove right by it). However, I only had a handful of angry drivers mess with me and there is fantastic climbing in the mountains around there.

Have not heard more about the incident on Paris Mtn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't seen anything else about it. My understanding was he didn't want his son to have to deal with police, etc...but that all could just be rumor mill shit.

The guy that died the other month was closer to NC border on the hwy I thought?

I missed the Fondo as I had the chance to race Challenge Aruba. I hope you had fun!

Greenville is a fantastic place to ride. I've never once felt like I needed to cart my gun when riding.

Merge Multisport Founder & Head Coach
USAT Level 2 - Short & Long Course
Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Re: Gun pulled on Hincapie and Son [T.Skelton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ignorant/dangerous Greenville drivers still seem nicer and/or less frequent than Jacksonville drivers.

My wife got to ride up Paris Mtn and I was more comfortable with her riding there than at home solo.

Gran Fondo was great fun. But judging from your Aruba performance, you made the right choice. Congrats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HankRearden wrote:

The cause is lack of gun control.
Last edited by: benb: Oct 25, 16 21:23
Quote Reply
Re: Gun pulled on Hincapie and Son [benb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm an outsider I live in Europe and incidents like this sound terrifying. As for Hank blaming mental health rather than the guns themselves. Wow! That sounds like it's straight from an NRA lobbyist.
In the uk it is illegal to own a hand gun. We had one school shooting in Dunblane, Scotland and we banned them outright. Since then guess how many school shootings the Uk has had. less than one.
As for having a gun pulled on you when cycling. Yes the guy that pulled the gun has serious issues but his access to a gun made the situation much much worse.
All countries have self entitled idiots but giving them access to guns is madness.
Quote Reply

Prev Next