Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Guidelines for taking Water Temperature
Quote | Reply
Tried a quick google search but couldn't find what the rules/guidelines are for taking the water temperature to determine whether it will be a wetsuit legal ironman, so if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be thankfull.

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Re: Guidelines for taking Water Temperature [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know about WTC, but local races around here it's pretty much unregulated. Whatever the RD wants to do they can do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
76.1 degrees I think for the WTC. 78 for USAT. Just take a few spots, like a foot or so down when the swim is taking place.

So, what is the specific question?

I have known some RD's who know for a fact the water in their swim is impossible to get over 77.9 :o)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Last edited by: h2ofun: Aug 11, 12 18:07
Quote Reply
Re: Guidelines for taking Water Temperature [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I assume there is a defined protocol, just like measuring a distance.

So do they measure for example: 10 feet from the shore, 2 feet deep 24 hours before the official start? Or is it measured from the deepest part of the lake 6 months before the race? Or something else?

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
Well I assume there is a defined protocol, just like measuring a distance.

So do they measure for example: 10 feet from the shore, 2 feet deep 24 hours before the official start? Or is it measured from the deepest part of the lake 6 months before the race? Or something else?

Nothing that rigid. I have seen taken around the swim area. Multiple places. As close to the swim start time as possible. Most of the time it is pretty black and white. If it is close, most RD's will error
on it being a legal wetsuit swim.

Since water temps moves around, nothing could be that rigid. The RD is just trying to make sure the race is as safe as possible, and most will try to error on having the water no higher than 77.9 or 76.1 unless it is clearly not.
A number of folks bring there own stuff to check with, some most RD's no longer play games.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Post deleted by BrentonFord [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
Tried a quick google search but couldn't find what the rules/guidelines are for taking the water temperature to determine whether it will be a wetsuit legal ironman, so if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be thankfull.

Ironman Switzerland measures like this: "The water temperature will be measured at a depth of 50 cm below the surface of the water on race day at 6 a.m. and the temperature publicised immediately."

ITU measures like this: "Water temperature must be taken one (1) hour prior to the start of the event on race day. It must be taken at the middle of the course and in two other areas on the swim course, at a depth of 60 cm. The lowest measured temperature will be considered as the official water temperature."

I wasn't able to find an official description on the Ironman website... is there no such thing as published official rules and regulations for WTC races?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think some RDs use the spot where they just poured a big glass of ice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well one would think there was a set way to do it, perhaps some RDs can chime in with their own procedure? Am I alone in thinking that it's a safety issue (or perhaps could be) to have participants know the water temperature? Obviously at some point it is anyway. Personally I check temp by feel with a practice swim or at least putting a hand in.

I know the trend is for RDs to find pockets of cold water somewhere in the lake/river/pond so it can be "legal" but should they be? Are the consequences of having too hot a swim perhaps lower than that of too cold a one so its better (or at least harmless) to err on the side of underestimating the temp?
Quote Reply
Re: Guidelines for taking Water Temperature [Insidious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When it comes to water temperature, RD's leave the measurement to the head referee.
The USAT Official's Guide (Charlie Crawford, USAT Commissioner of Officials, May 25 2012 ed.) says:
"The head referee, or his/her designee, will measure the temperature of the water at the swim venue the day before the event. The temperature should be measured as close to the actual start time of the event as logically possible. The final temperature will be measured on race morning at least one hour prior to the start of the swim....The head referee may decide to measure at or near the shoreline. The coldest measurement will be in shallow water before dawn. If there is a boat dock or pier, the water may be measured by using the thermometer directly in the water or by dipping out a bucket-full and measuring the bucket....Only the head referee is delegated the authority to modify the guidelines for measurement. There can be no modification of the temperature requirements for wetsuit usage. The water temperature will be posted at the packet pickup site, and will be announced at any pre-race meetings. It will also be posted at the race site on race day."

Personal experience:
I've measured 24 hours before the race and then on race morning, and I've taken NOAA NODC water temperature data the day before the race and measured on race morning.
I go out into the shallows to knee depth and take three measurements.
In the case of the NOAA NODC data I looked at the time the data was recorded to make certain it was close to race time the next day...in the most recent case the NOAA NODC temperature was 84.6*. I sent an e-mail to the RD and informed her the odds were slim for wetsuits...and announced the same at the pre-race meeting that night. The next morning (two hours before, in line with the Competition Rules) I went out into the surf to measure, and recorded a water temperature of 78* There were perhaps six wetsuit users out of 770 racers. Several friends who raced the event asked me about the water measurement at the post-race. I asked whether they felt the water was "too warm" for wetsuits, to which they said "yes."

I told them I'd take my thermometer home and throw it against the wall to re-calibrate. ;)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
USAT Competitive Rules Official, Cat 2
USAT National Technical Official/ITU National Technical Official, Level 1
USAT South Region Rules Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Guidelines for taking Water Temperature [javaman222] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I appreciate you sharing.

I've been a a few races where it's sort of driven me a bit crazy....water temps by all measures in the low 80s and declared wetsuit legal. Damned if you and damned if you don't on days like that.

I'm glad USAT at least has their head screwed on right about this but seems like that gets lost in translation to what actually happens. We've seen a lot of races locally go to non USAT sanctioned but they claim to be keeping the USAT rules. Except the ones they don't like.
Quote Reply
Re: Guidelines for taking Water Temperature [Insidious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also completed the USAT Certified Race Director program and up until two years ago worked for three years as an assistant RD for a couple of events, so I know both sides of the street pretty well

The craziness you mention might have more to do with the fact the RD has the (primary) goal of making the customer (race participant) happy.
When the sanction is completed and submitted, it's basically a pledge to USAT that the RD has done their homework on what needs to be done to ensure a safe and fair race.

USAT encourages RDs to request officials - that way there's a neutral party who's *only* job is to ensure the rules are enforced. And if there's something which doesn't look, smell or taste right on race day we're the person reporting it back to USAT.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
USAT Competitive Rules Official, Cat 2
USAT National Technical Official/ITU National Technical Official, Level 1
USAT South Region Rules Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, I've dug up a 7 year old post.... but I have the same questions. I don't have a race I'm questioning in particular, I'm just genuinely interested. There has been a few threads saying something about the temp being taken below the surface, and where exactly is the temp taken? Is it right at the entry to the swim,or out in the body of water?
Quote Reply
Re: Guidelines for taking Water Temperature [Dillon152] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

According to the ITU Rules:

Water temperature must be taken one hour prior to the start of the event on race day.It must be taken at the middle of the course and in two other areas on the swim course, at a depth of 60 cm.

The lowest measured temperature will be considered as the official water temperature.

I've always followed this process when officiating at races. Not sure for Mdot races, at the moment, although I suspect they will harmonize to the ITU rule next year with the partnership between the WTC and ITU...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If too many people pester them about if they can wear their wetsuits they raise it a degree or two. :-)

Tri Bread wrote:

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply