Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Guesstimating FTP using race efforts and HR
Quote | Reply
Hello everyone,

I started training with power this year and it's currently installed on my tri bike. My roadie is mounted on my bike trainer where I determined my LTHR at 148bpm a couple months ago. It may have changed since then and I aim to do another LTHR test next week.

Anyway, would it be possible to guesstimate my current FTP using my recent races at Vineman 70.3 and Goleta Beach Triathlon (almost Olympic distance)? Vineman was a combination of rolling hills, a couple long ascents, and several nice flat segments where I exerted a total effort of 151avg watts/164np at 132avg bpm. Goleta Beach was mostly flat with 1 ascent about a quarter mile long at 4-6% grade and I raced hard during the bike segment and exerted 172avg watts/177np at 145avg bpm. I held off enough to have a decent run for both races, that is to say that I was able to get my legs going within the first mile and not cramping anywhere.

Would these power readings put me at an FTP of around 202 watts? I'm 5'6.5" and currently weigh 148lbs.

Thanks,
Roland
Quote Reply
Re: Guesstimating FTP using race efforts and HR [kloofyroland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will be difficult to pinpoint your FTP with just those two data points. Also, you probably want to include your bike splits as time is a more important data point than knowing the race distance. How many rides do you have with power? Do you have your rides loaded into some type of software that can produce a power curve?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
190-200w sounds about right.

-Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for answering a question with a question, but if you're going to do another LTHR test, why not put your tri bike on the trainer?

Your guestimate is optimistic but not out of question, but as the other poster says, you can't really tell from your info. 202 is too exact an number built on vague assumptions.
Quote Reply
Re: Guesstimating FTP using race efforts and HR [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All of my Saturday long rides since March have been using the PM. The workouts also have been sent to TrainingPeaks. Is there a way I can see a power curve there?
Quote Reply
Re: Guesstimating FTP using race efforts and HR [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to but it's a QR Illicito frame (doesn't have the left seat stay) and it's highly not recommended to use it on a stationary bike trainer. I understand 202 watts might be incorrect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got a long road with a slight incline you can use to do the FTP test?
Quote Reply
Re: Guesstimating FTP using race efforts and HR [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sort of. It's a bike path that's about 7 miles long.
Quote Reply